Is SMP A Viable Option For Me?

Ivery22

Hi Guys,

I have been doing a lot of research and been to see a lot of clinics recently to discuss my options to improve my current hair situation. I am a pretty heavy diffused thinner. Have been advised to hold off on going down the suregery route until I've been on Finerteride for atleast 9-12 months (currently 4 months). Have also been advised against this in my last thread:

A few clinics, including the Harley Street Clinic have advised to consider SMP as an option to immediately create a denser appearance.

I was just wondering if this is a viable option for me given what you see in the latest photo which was taken last week (I have definitely experienced some noticeable results from the Fin in the short time I've used it if you compare the photos in the last thread I created). I won't be going for the shaved look which many people who undergo SMP do. I plan on keeping my hair length as is. 

Could SMP give me a natural looking result of a dense head of hair? Could I expect achieve to a result something similar to the second photo I've attached?

My concerns are that I still have a lot of scalp on show, especially around the crown area which is the most impacted area and am unsure how this would look. I have seen a lot of before / after photos of people who've done SMP and kept longer hair. Some look good and some don't.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Regards.

Recent Hair Photo.jpg

style.PNG

Edited by Ivery22

Are you content wearing a buzzed look indefinitely?

Your thinning is advanced to the point SMP would look a little off in my opinion if you didn't adopt a fully buzzed look.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

You have very advanced thinning, so let's see what that finasteride can achieve in a year's time before getting serious about a surgical restoration.

You only have so many grafts and re-establishing that frontal third will be crucial, whether or not you have the donor availability to tackle the graft intensive crown is another question that a professional will have to evaluate.

It is possible post hair transplantation that a strategic SMP could augment the appearance of density in parts of your scalp, but it would have to be done very thoughtfully because it would look off if done too broadly.

So basically, hold off on SMP until you're sure you want to attempt a surgical route or not.

And even then SMP would need to wait until your grafts grew in.

Basically, you're going to have to be very patient going forward to see the best results.

Keep us posted.

Edited by Speegs

1 hour ago, Speegs said:

You have very advanced thinning, so let's see what that finasteride can achieve in a year's time before getting serious about a surgical restoration.

You only have so many grafts and re-establishing that frontal third will be crucial, whether or not you have the donor availability to tackle the graft intensive crown is another question that a professional will have to evaluate.

It is possible post hair transplantation that a strategic SMP could augment the appearance of density in parts of your scalp, but it would have to be done very thoughtfully because it would look off if done too broadly.

So basically, hold off on SMP until you're sure you want to attempt a surgical route or not.

And even then SMP would need to wait until your grafts grew in.

Basically, you're going to have to be very patient going forward to see the best results.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the response and detailed feedback.

Yes the HT route wouldn't be anything I'd be looking until at least being on Fin for 12 month minimum. I'm more than willing to combine SMP with a HT in the future. Harley Street clinic have actually said SMP could be something I could consider as soon as the end of the year as they believe they could create a natural looking result.

If I could achieve a result like the following I would be more than satisfied. Wouldn't really be looking to go any shorter than this:

image.thumb.png.f0f043e50269e18943bbd9498c71f2c9.png

Do you think this is a good outcome and whether it is something I could achieve?

Regards

9 minutes ago, Ivery22 said:

Thanks for the response and detailed feedback.

Yes the HT route wouldn't be anything I'd be looking until at least being on Fin for 12 month minimum. I'm more than willing to combine SMP with a HT in the future. Harley Street clinic have actually said SMP could be something I could consider as soon as the end of the year as they believe they could create a natural looking result.

If I could achieve a result like the following I would be more than satisfied. Wouldn't really be looking to go any shorter than this:

image.thumb.png.f0f043e50269e18943bbd9498c71f2c9.png

Do you think this is a good outcome and whether it is something I could achieve?

Regards

I am not an SMP expert, but I would err on the side of patience if a transplant is a genuine desire you want to explore.

I just want you to be able to maximize what you're working with without any regrets, I feel pre-mature SMP could be a possible hindrance to getting the best possible transplant.

Just my two cents, not gospel truth, just an educated opinion.

Edited by Speegs

• 3 months later...

I will never understand how can anyone prefer OP's haircut to buzzing it off. Sorry OP but that is ridiculous and blatantly obvious. Taking finasteride and killing your manhood/libido/all the sexual side effects that come with it for that outcome is just bizarre. Shave it off and get SMP. There is no other solution.