2000 grafts FUE (8 months and 2 weeks) result

newpatient99

Mmh, strange case for such a reputable clinic.

The missing singles could be explained by poor growth of the finer singles in front of them. I have seen it before. But, besides the still immature hair (wiry look), it appears like some angles at the temples are off and do not blend with the remaining temporal peaks. Maybe Asien hair is a little different in that regard, but especially the last pic does show the poor transition between these areas. That would be poor craftmanship and the fault of the surgeon who made the incisions.

I think that there has to be a good explanation before doing the touch-up with the same clinic.  Pics directly after the transplant would be great.

The good news: This should be fixable for a second pass. Good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gasthoerer said:

Mmh, strange case for such a reputable clinic.

The missing singles could be explained by poor growth of the finer singles in front of them. I have seen it before. But, besides the still immature hair (wiry look), it appears like some angles at the temples are off and do not blend with the remaining temporal peaks. Maybe Asien hair is a little different in that regard, but especially the last pic does show the poor transition between these areas. That would be poor craftmanship and the fault of the surgeon who made the incisions.

I think that there has to be a good explanation before doing the touch-up with the same clinic.  Pics directly after the transplant would be great.

The good news: This should be fixable for a second pass. Good luck

Fortunately I decided for a higher hairline the first time which allows me to lower the hairline for a touch up so I don't have to remove any of the mutil-grafts.

Good explanation from the doctor, but this does not change the result, 8 months is enough time to see the progress of the transplant and it is noted that even if 12-18 months pass, it will be the same.

In these cases that proceed? extract the units again and reinsert them, or extract new ones and camouflage them with the existing transplant?

Good explanation from the doctor, but this does not change the result, 8 months is enough time to see the progress of the transplant and it is noted that even if 12-18 months pass, it will be the same.

In these cases that proceed? extract the units again and reinsert them, or extract new ones and camouflage them with the existing transplant?

23 minutes ago, Castillo said:

I think in my case, I could get a killer result if I just move down the hairline a bit because I would also have a lot of density behind the hairline with the pre-existing grafts. 

But of course I would want the doctor's best judgement as well before making my final decision. 

Edited by newpatient99

• Administrators

This can certainly be improved and you have an impressive looking donor area, to boot you have thick hair. You check all the boxes for a good result, just need some refinement.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This can certainly be improved and you have an impressive looking donor area, to boot you have thick hair. You check all the boxes for a good result, just need some refinement.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Based on your experience here, who would be your top 3 FUE doctors for hairline refinement? I also want someone that harvest grafts themselves and is particularly skilled at recreating the temporal points and making incisions near pre-existing grafts without damaging them. 

• Administrators
Just now, newpatient99 said:

Thanks for the encouraging words. Based on your experience here, who would be your top 3 FUE doctors for hairline refinement? I also want someone that harvest grafts themselves and is particularly skilled at recreating the temporal points and making incisions near pre-existing grafts without damaging them. 

I get this question a lot and to be honest, lists are always difficult to compile, because hairline design has a lot to do with the artistry of a surgeon. There are so many surgeons that I see providing excellent results, that it is hard to choose one let alone three. Also, the hairline designs that I like you may not like as much, it's very subjective. In North America, there is Dr. Konoir, Dr. Rahal, Hasson and Wong, Dr. Cooley, Dr. Diep, Dr. Gabel, just to name a few. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I get this question a lot and to be honest, lists are always difficult to compile, because hairline design has a lot to do with the artistry of a surgeon. There are so many surgeons that I see providing excellent results, that it is hard to choose one let alone three. Also, the hairline designs that I like you may not like as much, it's very subjective. In North America, there is Dr. Konoir, Dr. Rahal, Hasson and Wong, Dr. Cooley, Dr. Diep, Dr. Gabel, just to name a few. 

Dr. Rahal and Dr. Gabel have been on my radar list. I've heard Konoir is amazing but has a crazy wait time and is more expensive than everyone. Diep obviously has killer results, yourself being a prime example, but the one thing that concerned me was his punch size and it would seem not everyone here that got a HT with Dr. Diep had their grafts harvested by Dr. Diep himself. 

• Administrators

As far as im aware, Dr. Diep does all the extractions himself, I don’t know where you heard he didn’t, but there has been alot of misinformation given out lately. In regards to punch size that’s really secondary to results ive had 1mm punches used on me and my donor looks fine shaved down to a #1. But as I said, it’s really up to you. Both Dr. Gabel and Dr. Rahal are excellent choices so you can’t go wrong with either.

View my thread

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

As far as im aware, Dr. Diep does all the extractions himself, I don’t know where you heard he didn’t, but there has been alot of misinformation given out lately. In regards to punch size that’s really secondary to results ive had 1mm punches used on me and my donor looks fine shaved down to a #1. But as I said, it’s really up to you. Both Dr. Gabel and Dr. Rahal are excellent choices so you can’t go wrong with either.

I remember reading a couple of patients that said Dr. Diep only did the incisions and that was his entire involvement during surgery, but this maybe a year ago and they might have not been confirmed patients. Glad to hear he personally did the extracting for your surgery though. 

It’s illegal in California for a non- doctor or certified nurse to score the skin/extractions ..  that’s why diep has consistent results , since he does the extractions himself n charges $8-9 a graft ..  nothing wrong with trained techs doing the extractions , just less consistent results n not knowing which tech is working with u on that day.. but those are laws in most of the states.. 

5 hours ago, Legend007 said:

It’s illegal in California for a non- doctor or certified nurse to score the skin/extractions ..  that’s why diep has consistent results , since he does the extractions himself n charges $8-9 a graft ..  nothing wrong with trained techs doing the extractions , just less consistent results n not knowing which tech is working with u on that day.. but those are laws in most of the states.. 

That price has more to do with the regrettable reality that everything is expensive in California more so than the fact a surgeon performed it, the additional state-mandated regulatory burdens do likely make his overhead higher than clinics in other states.

That doesn't mean Diep isn't a good surgeon, it just means when it comes to a California location, you're paying for real estate in addition to a service, which skews the "you get what you pay for" metric that's usually a reliable generalization with cosmetic surgery.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 3 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor

As a potential patient of this doctor I’d still like to hear a clear statement as to how this happened. I know that I can find plenty of happy patient results and excellent results posted on here and his website by his team but this is scary. I’ve met people face to face who’ve had work done by him and it was enough to make me say, “yes. Yes I want to have my hair transplant performed by this doctor”.

This, however, caused me to pump the breaks.  

This really is for my own sanity. I know that people will continue to go get hair transplants by this doc, however, I also know that he cares a great deal about his patients and patients-to-be. 

The doctor is considered a top doc in my opinion and OP has given his consent for a clear explanation of what happened to him. As many others have stated in this thread, I know there must be a good explanation here. What happened?

Edited by Steeeve

On 9/28/2018 at 3:25 PM, Steeeve said:

My surgeon has been excellent with his follow up and he's going to fix it for me. Because I did not reach out to the surgeon privately first, I am requesting this thread to be deleted if possible. This is completely my choice and not based off anyone's influence. 

Edited by newpatient99
  • Like 1