27years, NW5, need advice (+pics)

Hello there!

Iam 27years old, from Germany. 

My hair loss has been kicked in very early in the age of 19, with 22 i have lost my whole hair line, In the age of 24 most have been lost. 

Iam on treatments (Fin + Minox) since 1 1/2 year and hair loss has stopped with some regrowth. 

Now I have saved 14k€ and I feel ready to go for a hair transplant. I've spoken with some doctors which I can afford:

-Hattingen Hair (Switzerland)

-Dr. Devroy (Belgium)

-Asmed(Turkey)

They told me to be a good candidate, from photos.

I have also some realistic expections: 

A conservative Hairline and hoping to cover the crown with a slight destiny. 

From know I dont know which Doctor i should choose:

- Hattingen Hair does very good FUT work with megasessions, but the hair lines doesnt match my favor.

- Dr.Devroy is considering me to do a combo, if I want to have a Strip (he sees me a good FUE only candidate, too...)

- Asmed tells me to be a good candidate for FUE (but they do FUE only ;) )

Can you help me a bit out, I've done my homework and research but I dont know who to choose.

Thank you in advance! 

IMG_20180526_115723_1.jpg

IMG_20180728_005128.jpg

IMG_20180728_005105.jpg

IMG_20180728_005102.jpg

IMG_20180702_115950.jpg

interested to hear what the forum says about your situation. I’m in a similar situation (27, class 5ish, on meds)

I bet asmed gave you the 5000graft special? You may want to think about rebuilding the frontal 3rd and seeing how that turns out. then address the crown later? idk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Devop911, 

It appears that you have a Norwood 5A pattern, although a reputable Doctor would have to see you in person in order to evaluate  your future pattern. Do any of your immediate family members have a similar hair loss pattern (or perhaps a more advanced hair pattern)? This may be an indicator of where you will end up in the future, but hair loss can of course be unpredictable sometimes. Knock on wood. 

Second, It is important to highlight that once you have a strip taken out of your donor area, you are stuck with this scar for the rest of your life. It is still a widely used method of hair transplantation, and consequently produces wonderful results. However, it is important to emphasize that you won't be able to wear your hair short on the sides without the scar showing, so think long and hard before having a strip surgery. I would hate for you to lose more hair down the line and be stuck with a scar. But if it doesn't bother you, then it may be a method to consider. 

Third, I personally like the results of Dr. Devroye. I think he produces very natural results and is certainly one of the top tier Docs in the European market. I know that Hattingen is popular within the German speaking markets, so they may be a clinic to consider, especially if you're considering FUT

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hello delancey thank you  for your reply.

I think you're right with the NW5a pattern, sides and back does not seem to be affected at the moment.

2 hours ago, delancey said:

Do any of your immediate family members have a similar hair loss pattern

The problem in here is, that I don't have/know any of my 'family members', so there is no indicator for me, unfortantly.

But I have an Image attached, where you can see my current status (left) and the status mostly 3 and a half year before. IHMO its stable with Fin and Minox now.

According to the Strip arguments, you mentioned:

On the one hand, I like more long hair 2-6cm long, I tried short hair and it doesnt really fit in, so I don't see any problems with the Strip but on the other hand, if I will grow to a NW7 or something like this, it would bother me a lot. 

The other thing is; maybe I  can get out my donor 5k Grafts FUE without thinning out my doner to heavy. But what if the crown expands and I would also need some additional 2k Grafts? With FUT it could be possible, with FUE it could be a bit tricky.

There is also to mention, that I would save with Dr.Devroy about 2k€ with the combo instead of the max strip of hattingen (4500 grafts).

Do you think I should also involve this argument in my decision, if I perhaps get similar results?

I also have one more question, as I have such thin hair but a good hair/skin contrast, do you think I am a difficult case because of my thin hair?

Best,

jan

vergleich.PNG

Hi Jan, 

From the photos that you have posted, it does look like your hair loss pattern has been quite stable at a Norwood 5A for many years. But it is also important to remember that hair loss is progressive so having a good idea of where your hair loss will pattern will be in the distant future is important. 

As far as cost is concerned, here is how I look at it. Once you have found a few Doctors that you have full confidence in, it shouldn't matter who you end up going to. What matters is that you have total confidence in their ability to carry out your hair transplant. Saving a few thousand euros/dollars, etc, is obviously an added bonus but that feeling of total confidence in your decision should always come first. So take your time with thinking this over and you'll have your answer when there no longer is any doubt. Don't pull the trigger before you are absolutely sure. 

Finally, it doesn't look like your hair is really that fine. I would say it is around medium-fine. This has its benefits, as blond and medium fine hair produces very natural looking hairlines. In my opinion, blonde haired patients require lower density in the hairline for a result to look natural so you have that going for you as well. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 1

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Your donor looks pretty strong so at least you'll have good ammo to work with. Because your hair loss is pretty severe, I would advise a very conservative hairline so you can get max coverage, you want to save as many grafts as possible in case you need a second procedure. A good doctor can design a very nice receding hairline for you. 

Something like this

Image result for best receding hairline haircut

• Like 1

• Administrators

I like Dr. Devroye, he’s an excellent choice and has provided several examples of FUT+FUE. If you want to maximize your donor there’s really no other way.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hello guys and thank you for your great concern!

@delancey Thanks a lot for you advices, it gives me some courage, that i could maybe if everything works fine, the crown could also be adressed in the future and of course I will stick with my medicine treatment and be careful to do nothing rash. About the doctors, I have done my research about 1 year now, and I am really fine to stick with both doctors; contacting Hattingen Hair is really really hard, because he do all of his consultation and communication by his own, but that's something I really sorrow about, I've wrote to him a week a go and no answer, with dr. Devroy I had a skype call, and I can reach him very well.

@Castillo I am not really agree, If I adress front and mid scalp with  5000 grafts and the crown expands, maybe the donor wont be able to be harvested that much anymore, what do you think?

@newpatient99 Thank you, something like the hair line you posted would be a dream for me, imagine, Iam walking with no Hairline since my early 20th, so I dont bother with conservative hairlines, moreover i like them more then "straight" ones.

@Melvin-ModeratoThis is something, I still thinking about, the guys from Hattingen Hair (I think they are very close to Hasson and Wong, even Joe Tillman is saying that) do get some serious Graft amount per Max-Strip with avg about 4000-4500 Grafts. In my case I think I have a morely small had, so I have to be avg or less. 

please delete if not wanted)

As Dr.Devroy has morely strips with 3,5K Grafts. So there is the question, what is better; Hattingen is behind the theory, that a Max Strip with 4k or more and than a 2k strip and after all a 1k FUE would provide the most graft yield, they also say that the skin laxety will dramatically decrease with the first strip surgery. 

As I am also very young and cant tell if the current Hair situation wont drastical change, I am not sure if I should keep the max Strip method in my mind. 

Maybe ther're also some negative points about such a massive strip surgery?

Hope my english is good enough, If you dont understand my remarks, please don't hestiate to ask, so i would describe it more detailed.

I also like to mention, that this decision is some of the improtant ones of my life, so i dont take it that easy.

Thank you in advance. 

• Administrators

I don’t know much about the other clinic you’ve mentioned, but I do know Dr. Devroye is an excellent doctor. With that said, consult with as many doctors possible. This way you can gather as many professional opinions as possible. Additionally, more isn’t always better. Just because a clinic can do a large strip shouldn’t influence your decision. 

There is a larger risk with doing mega-sessions, if for any reason the results aren’t what you expected you will have little recourse to correct the issue because of the large portion of the donor that was used. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.