Please help... Big bald lump on the back of the head not going away 9 months after FUE

I'm at almost 9 months since my FUE procedure and most of the pain from the donor hear have long gone,  BUT I had this lump that still hasn't gone away, it does hurt a little if I put pressure on it and it has a gel like texture when you touch it. Anyway, after the surgery, I was growing out my hair long so you couldn't see it and I didn't realize how bad it was. I had my FUE and when I went in for my check up a month ago, I told him about it and he said it was just ingrown hair. Again, my hair was super long and covering it at that point so it was hard to see. So today was the first time I got a shorter haircut since my procedure and holy crap, it looks awful! There's literally a huge bald spot lump in my donor area and it's low enough to where I can't hide it with a cap. Obviously doctor's offices will be closed for Labor Day weekend so I won't be able to reach them. I know the coalition doctors are pretty active on here, so if the Moderators could help me contact my surgeon for me so I can get this addressed immediately. Here is a pic just taken. This is 8 months and 2 weeks post op.

I was thinking ingrown hair too.  If you are located close to your surgeon, I'd make an appt to see him next week. If not, see a dermatologist.  On the bright side, your donor besides that looks very strong. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:23 PM, Spanker said:

I was thinking ingrown hair too.  If you are located close to your surgeon, I'd make an appt to see him next week. If not, see a dermatologist.  On the bright side, your donor besides that looks very strong. 

How long does ingrown hair take to heal? I am in Houston but the clinic won't be open until Tuesday and it's just embarrassing whenever I go out. 

Thank you for the compliment regarding my donor area. When I went in for my initial consultation, my surgeon did make a comment about me having very strong donor hair and I only had 2000 grafts removed so it's comforting to know I'll be able to have another procedure if needed. 

I really don't know. Hopefully about 90 days if there isn't any real infection. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

2 hours ago, newpatient99 said:

It's been almost 9 months lol damn. Let's say there is an infection, generally what would be the treatment?

I mean after you take it out and clean any infection.  Could be antibiotics. See what the doc says. 

View Spanker's Website

Ingrown hair, fungal infection, small abscess, less likely tumor. Not much redness on the picture you showed which is a good sign.

Show it to your MD,. Maybe think about an ultrasound to see if there is a fluid collection under the skin that can be cultured and drained.

6 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Were grafts havrested from this region? It is kinda low and ar to the nape region.

Actually it looks a little but like alopecia areata...

I'm not sure, I just know it developed after the surgery. Isn't alopecia areta just a flat spot though? This is a raised bump that has a soft jelly feel to it. 

16 hours ago, bismarck said:

Ingrown hair, fungal infection, small abscess, less likely tumor. Not much redness on the picture you showed which is a good sign.

Show it to your MD,. Maybe think about an ultrasound to see if there is a fluid collection under the skin that can be cultured and drained.

9 hours ago, hairthere said:

It could also be a lipoma (benign fatty tissue/tumor). I would go to your MD and have it checked asap.

Thank you to everyone for all the swift responses. Has anyone else here had this happen after fue?

Were you able to get this resolved and figure out what caused it? It does look too low to be part of the donor area, so I wonder if it was related to your HT

Aside from that, your donor does look amazing. Hopefully you got this straightened out and it's gonna be a quick, easy fix. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56