Possible to do non-full buzzcut frontal hair transplant?

Hello,

My question is if its possible to undergo the procedure, likely a FUE, to receive about 1200 grafts on the frontal hairline without having to buzz cut the entire head?

I have been debating this question for a while now and haven't seen any topics about this through google at least.

My reasoning is I do NOT want anyone to know I had this procedure done, and I cannot escape from work and family for like 6 months while some hair grows back after a buzz cut. Can a surgeon still remove enough hair from the back and transfer it to the hairline without having to buzz it all?

thanks!

• Like 1

Wed need to see pics to see.if you could get away this it. You would need to shave your sides and back, but not your hairline. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

10 hours ago, Lochtide7 said:

Hello,

My question is if its possible to undergo the procedure, likely a FUE, to receive about 1200 grafts on the frontal hairline without having to buzz cut the entire head?

I have been debating this question for a while now and haven't seen any topics about this through google at least.

My reasoning is I do NOT want anyone to know I had this procedure done, and I cannot escape from work and family for like 6 months while some hair grows back after a buzz cut. Can a surgeon still remove enough hair from the back and transfer it to the hairline without having to buzz it all?

thanks!

Yeah I've heard Konior can do it...for twice the price!  He would spend a few hours going through the donor, identifying and clipping hairs short before even starting proper.  I'm not sure how many grafts max, maybe 1000-1500.

I dont know for sure but you would be looking at $20G at least.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I am having 2300 done on Sep 10, and the last thing I ever want is a buzz cut, and the doctor didn't say anything about that except in the donor area.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

I have never met a single person to whom this approach would be applicable or worthwhile. I think people tend to also underestimate the redness in the recipient post OP, even if you keep your hair long you'll still have to cover the transplanted area if you want it completely hidden as it will leave an obvious marking. I'm at 4 months for example now and it looks like I have shaved a more receding hairline onto myself, I chose to buzz just the recipient a bit until the growth is more even, but if for example I am intimate with someone they could surely notice it and wonder what is going on. last time round I did have a couple of people mention a bad haircut and asking why the hair at the front was shorter than the sides and top. The goal of a transplant is to change your aesthetics, people know lost hair doesn't magically grow back overnight, they will notice the process and result, ultimately that's kind of the point.

Obviously its a personal decision and I didn't advertise it, but if its not something you feel you could comfortably explain to people without embarrassment that you can't deal with then it probably doesn't mean enough to you to go through with or deal with the risks of a poor result for example.

Takeaway to note though is that even if your donor and top go unshaved, the process of uneven growth, redness and post-op marking WILL be noticeable for a lengthy period and there is no getting around it.

Edited by JeanLDD

52 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

Yeah I've heard Konior can do it...for twice the price!  He would spend a few hours going through the donor, identifying and clipping hairs short before even starting proper.  I'm not sure how many grafts max, maybe 1000-1500.

I dont know for sure but you would be looking at $20G at least.

Wow, double the price? that would be insane...

29 minutes ago, JeanLDD said:

I have never met a single person to whom this approach would be applicable or worthwhile. I think people tend to also underestimate the redness in the recipient post OP, even if you keep your hair long you'll still have to cover the transplanted area if you want it completely hidden as it will leave an obvious marking. I'm at 4 months for example now and it looks like I have shaved a more receding hairline onto myself, I chose to buzz just the recipient a bit until the growth is more even, but if for example I am intimate with someone they could surely notice it and wonder what is going on. last time round I did have a couple of people mention a bad haircut and asking why the hair at the front was shorter than the sides and top. The goal of a transplant is to change your aesthetics, people know lost hair doesn't magically grow back overnight, they will notice the process and result, ultimately that's kind of the point.

Obviously its a personal decision and I didn't advertise it, but if its not something you feel you could comfortably explain to people without embarrassment that you can't deal with then it probably doesn't mean enough to you to go through with or deal with the risks of a poor result for example.

Takeaway to note though is that even if your donor and top go unshaved, the process of uneven growth, redness and post-op marking WILL be noticeable for a lengthy period and there is no getting around it.

Yea that is quite a good point, a bit disheartening for sure but might be the reality of it.

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

I am having 2300 done on Sep 10, and the last thing I ever want is a buzz cut, and the doctor didn't say anything about that except in the donor area.

Which doc are you going to? are you certain about that or maybe it was assumed?

9 hours ago, Tricky51 said:

Good question fella, I’m of the same ilk,  I’ve got thick side and back hair, yet very thin top and crown, the last thing I’d want is a full buzz cut so everyone knows I’ve had work done.   Be good to find out some answers on this. ??

Who have you been thinking of doing the procedure with so far?

5 hours ago, Lochtide7 said:

Which doc are you going to? are you certain about that or maybe it was assumed?

I had 2000 FUT in 2011 and there was no need to shave the recipient area.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

42 minutes ago, Dazed said:

I had 2000 FUT in 2011 and there was no need to shave the recipient area.

Very interesting, can I ask like would the recipient area be very noticeable for a long time? I can get just 2 weeks off from work and maybe it would hide a bit of scars?

3 minutes ago, Tricky51 said:

I’m only just starting out on this road, I figured enough was enough and it’s time to get something done.  I’ve been hiding it for 20 yrs now.  

Interesting, I have been holding it for about 5 or 6 years - no balding or loss for me, just a really stupid annoying hairline/temples. After being made fun of by my 5 year old patient yesterday, then looking in the mirror...really just hit me (for the hundredth time at least)

It’s quite funny what others perceive to themselves as hair loss to the extreme or just a little.  I’ve been watching and hoping it wasn’t happening to me, I tried taking the finestride pills for a year, it helped a small amount,  then I stopped and as per the side effects I lost a tiny bit more hair.  

So I vowed when I was younger I’d never be that guy with the comb over... guess who I’ve turned into as I hate looking at it,  I spend roughly 30 mins doing my hair before I go out.  I go to the same hair dresser who cuts my hair just so, as once I kind of brush it into a mowahk towards the middle of my head, without the spikes it works, I figure as long as I can’t see it nobody else can.. apart from the crown, there is nothing I can do to cover that, but I can’t see it, so I have to put up with it.  I try to avoid bending down in front of people as per the paranoia very person is judging me on going bald..  something has to give very soon, hence wanting the middle and crown fixed without the buzz cut.

I cut my own hair with a Flowbee because I always hated the new haircut look.  I spend about 1 minute after the shower combing my hair.  I have thinning on the top and got 2000 in 2011.  I always knew I would need more so I am getting 2300 more in about a week.  The first time I took 2 weeks off work and wore a hat - I hate hats.  I am retired now so work is not a problem for me.  If you have to get buzzed it would be better to cut your hair short so people get used to seeing you with short hair so when you walk in after the transplant people aren't shocked and it draws attention to your transplants.  People laugh when I tell them about the Flowbee, but I have been using it for over 20 years, and I will probably buy a new one soon. 

That’s cool,  every person has there own way of dealing with the situation, I told my hairdresser as I stick with the same one every time,  she buzz cuts the side and back to a number 2, the grades it in to a longer top piece m, you’d have to see the pics to understand, thank good the hairdresser does, for now.  So I could cover the redness etc in top with the same way I wear my hair now.  I may take pics tomorrow and post. 

On 9/2/2018 at 8:22 AM, Tricky51 said:

That’s cool,  every person has there own way of dealing with the situation, I told my hairdresser as I stick with the same one every time,  she buzz cuts the side and back to a number 2, the grades it in to a longer top piece m, you’d have to see the pics to understand, thank good the hairdresser does, for now.  So I could cover the redness etc in top with the same way I wear my hair now.  I may take pics tomorrow and post. 

Ya take some pics and let me know I am interested to see

Just had my 2300 on Monday and they did not shave the front.  I now have a terrible haircut with the shaved back, but hell some guys actually get haircuts like that.  They had to dye my donor area after they buzzed it to see the donor hairs so I am thinking I will need to dye my hair in about 6 months or I will have too much gray.  I am now in the waiting game to see the final results, and that seems to take forever. 

I believe that one of the doctors that I am considering in The Philippines does not shave or buzzcut. This is one of the reasons why I am considering her, although she is not a very active emailer. I saw her videos and it shows how sticky tape is used in donor area to get access.

• 2 weeks later...