FUE haircut

On Sep 10 I go for my 2nd transplant to just kind of fill things out.  This time will be FUE.  I am worried about the appearance of the donor area.  I do not wear my hair short - just a normal length.  How can I camouflage the donor area without getting a short haircut, which I hate.  I have no experience with FUE.  I am also getting 2 free PRP treatments, and don't know anything about that either.  Does PRP really help?

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

I am having 2300 done in about a week.  Lucky for me I am retired so work is not a problem.  Why would the recipient area need to be shaved for FUE when I had FUT in 2011 they did not shave the recipient area and I had great results.  I am just looking for more fullness.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Moderators

I have to ask... Why are you opting for FUE this time around? You seem like an ideal candidate for FUT due to the following:

1. Already had FUT done previously.

2. You don't want or even like a short haircut.

3. You say you had great results from the first FUT.

4. You don't want to shave your head for the procedure.

This post is not to start another debate about FUT vs FUE, however I do believe some people are better suited for either one or the other based on their hair style preferences and past experience.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I understand the need for the donor area, but I don't understand why the recipient area needs to be shaved when it didn't need to with FUT.  I will ask the doctor Tuesday about this, but he made no mention of shaving the recipient area.  I look terrible with short hair.  I can't do the Vin Diesel look.  LOL

• Moderators

This is Dr specific. Most Drs will require that the recipient area be shaved as they claim it is easier to place new grafts between existing hair when lengthy hair is not present. Other Drs will work around the existing hair without issue if you request it. Generally I believe the ones who will transplant between long hair are Drs who have been in the field for many years or ones who have trained under a Dr who has been in the field for many years because in the past it was much more common to not shave the recipient area. You need to ask your Dr if you have the option to not shave. Alternatively you can try asking if he is willing to just work with your hair very short rather than shaved as this can at least shorten the amount of time for it to grow into the length you prefer.

Ultimately though, it is not a good idea to try to convince the Dr to perform the procedure in a way that he is not comfortable with or does not have much/any experience with as it may affect the end results which is the most important thing in the long run.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

BeHappy, a lot will be determined when I speak to them again.  He is using NeoGraft if that makes any difference.  Also I am getting PRP done twice, but I don't really know the benefits of PRP. 

I agree with Be Happy, in that you can make the request (as there are doctors who will work around it)... However, it tends to make the process a bit more tedious and time-consuming, and therefore may be more expensive or require a two-day procedure. 

Find the doctor that you trust and believe in, and then listen to his advice. In the grand scheme of things, it's a relatively short time to have the hair shaved, and if it helps achieve a much more optimum result that will last you a lifetime, I'd say go ahead and let them shave away. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I finally called the doctor and the recipient area does not have to be shaved.  It is a go for Monday Sep. 10.

T Day has come and gone.  The doctor is very pleased with the transplant, and said I may or may not want another 2000 grafts in about 1.5 years, and that I have a great donor area.  By far the worst part of the experience was the numbing shots in the donor area which is still a little tender this morning.  The recipient area was not shaved down so basically I just look like I got a bad haircut.  Lucky for me a lot of guys walk around with bad haircuts today on purpose I told the doctor that he may be a good doctor, but he is a lousy barber.    Because of the valium I slept through most of the transplant.  Now the long wait for the final results - at least 4 months.

11 hours ago, Dazed said:

T Day has come and gone.  The doctor is very pleased with the transplant, and said I may or may not want another 2000 grafts in about 1.5 years, and that I have a great donor area.  By far the worst part of the experience was the numbing shots in the donor area which is still a little tender this morning.  The recipient area was not shaved down so basically I just look like I got a bad haircut.  Lucky for me a lot of guys walk around with bad haircuts today on purpose I told the doctor that he may be a good doctor, but he is a lousy barber.    Because of the valium I slept through most of the transplant.  Now the long wait for the final results - at least 4 months.

Very happy for you! And yes, I agree that the worst part of the entire process were the numbing shots to the scalp... Fortunately, it was also very quick - so thank God for that. 

And you're already setting yourself up for a positive experience by acknowledging that growth won't start until at least 4 months, so don't forget that should you find yourself impatient and discouraged on the way while waiting on it to happen. Happy growing!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Having done this before I know how gradual things happen.  I was just standing outside and somehow we started talking about hair, and one guy said you don't know how lucky you are that you still have your hair.  I just smiled because he had no idea I had a transplant.  Little things like that just make you feel good.

Hi @Dazed , I am planning for a treatment with the same doctor at Orlando hair clinic. Could you please tell me how was the treatment. Is the doctor experienced. I am asking this because I dont want the doctor to give me a bad look, which doesnt look natural. My friend has gone through a surgery and his hairline doesnt look natural, dont want to get into such situation. Thanks in advance.

Hi @Dazed , I am planning for a treatment with the same doctor at Orlando hair clinic. Could you please tell me how was the treatment. Is the doctor experienced. I am asking this because I dont want the doctor to give me a bad look, which doesnt look natural. My friend has gone through a surgery and his hairline doesnt look natural, dont want to get into such situation. Thanks in advance.

Since I just had it done on Monday it would be hard for me to say.  My hairline was already established from a previous transplant in 2011, and I was just getting supplemental work done.  2 very experience technicians did most of the work, but he was in and out constantly.  The numbing shots are the worst thing about the whole thing, and you may want to stay in the hotel next door after the surgery.  I drove home, but I was very tired.  I do like the doctor.

Edited by Dazed

@Dazed Thanks for your reply. So its the technicians who did the surgery and not the doctor? which sounds strange. Did you hear any feedback while you were doing research about this clinic/doctor and what do you think about this doctor compared to the one in 2011.

Appreciate your response :) 

@sunny999 Not really strange.  I was there from 8 AM until 5:30 PM with 2 people working on me.  Had the doctor done it alone it would have taken over 16 hours, and probably cost twice as much.   That may explain some of the crazy prices I see on here.  Both technicians had 15 years experience.  The doctor was very involved.  I may be wrong but I don't think you will find many doctors who do the entire job themselves.  This is a 2 man job.  One person does the extraction and the other person examines the extraction and does the implant.  I would say that the strip technique was much easier than FUE.  It was also technicians who did my 1st transplant that worked so well.  This doctor seemed to have more involvement than the 1st doctor.  Everything I read about this doctor was good.  I suggest you call for an appointment - it is free and you have nothing to lose.  1-888-430-6115.  The office is located on Sand Lake Commons which is a large group of office buildings off Turkey Lake Road right off I-4 - it is on the west side before you get to Sand Lake Road.  The donor area will be shaved and you will have a very bad haircut.  They did not shave the recipient area.  It has only been 5 days since my transplants , but at this point I have no regrets.  I am really babying my transplants and have not even touched them.  They use the NeoGraft extraction technique.  Don't schedule your appointment on your first visit because I waited about a week and they threw in an extra 100 grafts and PRP treatment to schedule.  Be ready for a very long day if you do this.  If you have any more questions feel free to ask, and as I heal I will probably have more information for you.

Edited by Dazed

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, sunny999 said:

Hi @Dazed Just want to follow up and see how is your hair growth progress are you seeing any issues or difficulties?

I has only been 2 weeks so I don't have any hair growth information.  I just noticed today  that some of the tiny scabs are gone.  The scabs this time seemed smaller and more densely packed than my last transplant in 2011.  I have still not touched my transplants, and wash my hair by pouring baby shampoo from a cup of luke warm water, and rinse the same way.  I allow the transplants to air dry, and also apply the saline solution about 6 times a day.  The hardest part of the whole thing was the numbing shots at the beginning.  Recovery has been a breeze except for the bad haircut.  The top of my hair looks fine, but the sides look like Alfalfa.  In retrospect I should probably just got a buzz cut before the procedure.  I just looked in the mirror and the majority of my scabs are gone.  The donor area is more tender than the recipient area, but even that is no big deal.  I liked Dr. Syed and Jess, and that is who you mostly deal with.  Schedule a consultation, you have no obligation and it is free.  They treated me great, but it is way too early to expect hair growth .  We are talking about 4-6 months waiting time.  I have done this before so I know what to expect.

They do have 13 reviews on RealSelf, look under Junaid Syed.  Right at the top of their site is says Search for treatments and providers.  Their brochure does show 5 examples.  My hairline was already established from my prior transplant.  Write down all your questions before you go for the consult.  It is so easy to forget something important.  You are under no obligation so don't be nervous.  I walked out without scheduling, thought about it for a week and called back and scheduled.

12 hours ago, sunny999 said:

@Dazed I am pleased with your responses. :) Booked an appointment, I mean for the surgery. My surgery is in 1st week of October, that is why I said I am feeling nervous if they dont make my hairline good looking. 

So I assume you already had a consult.  Be ready for a very long day.  Don't expect to see any results for 4-6 months.  This is a very slow process.  Baby your grafts, and refrain from touching them.  Keep me up on your progress.