cwolf

Dr.Panine Fue (Follicular Unit Extraction) Hair Transplant Before and Post op 1-5Review

Posted (edited)

Hello!

I am a Patient of Dr. Panine and reviewing my personal experience of Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Hair Transplant.

I am twenty-six years old with 3 transitioning to 3A on the hair loss chart (You can see where my hair was at with the first photo of my first consultation) . I started losing my hair around early twenties. As the years went by and my hair loss progressed, I tried to do minoxidil 5% liquid form during the last seven months. Eventually, I came to the realization my hair will never be what it once was, so, I decided to do a Hair Transplant and started researching.

I currently live in Chicago, IL and went online to see what my options were. I first decided to understand what a hair transplant is and what kinds of treatments option I have.  I found a few people who had alright reviews but after consulting with them about everything I felt they weren't the right person for me to do this with. I am a not a fan of any type of surgery and wanted to make sure I went to someone with the same vision and had a well known reputation. More then a few consultations later, I stumbled on to Dr. Panine. He had great before and afters and not a bad review to be found and I definitely searched pretty well like I did with the others. Everyone said " He was an Artist when it came to hairlines.", "Great job and made sure I was okay the whole time.", "He was their the whole time." etc...

I decided to give him a chance and got in contact with his assistant, Stuart. Stuart was very professional and well knowledgeable about everything. You'd think that would be a giving but the other places really missed the mark on that. He told me in detail about everything and proceeded to show me before and after photos, which they were all very realistic and had a great result overall. I met Dr. Panine afterwards and he was very nice guy. He really made sure to talk about what I am looking for and adding his own artistic vision to create a realistic hairline without me going overboard on my idea. He and I came to a compromise and I really like what he had to say and came up with and decided to go with him. 

I followed the pre op instructions until the day of the procedure and came in to the office at the time scheduled. I met up with one of the assistants there who was also very kind. She gave me the paper work and helped set me up for everything. Stuart took some before photos and talked to me about it all. Dr. Panine came in said hello and proceeded sketched out the line and made sure I was good with the placement. As the surgery began, he made sure to explain everything and really made sure that I was comfortable as possible throughout it all. I also like to mention that he was there the whole time. When I talked to other doctors about this, they said the assistant would be doing a good amount of the work, which made me uncomfortable but made me really happy/apprecaitive with Dr.Panine. 

Dr.Panine assistants' were great also! Checked up on me a lot and asked me how I was doing. They would put their hand on my arm gently when they had to extractions or do something and it really soothed and made me feel a lot more comforted. They had gotten me a sandwich of my choice, when they took a miniature break and talked to me about what else they had to do. 

The process took about fifteen hours and I had more then 2,500 grafts. Dr. Panine work every second of the way with his assistants' for hours and they did an amazing job. Stuart did some post op pictures which I posted. The next day, I came back in to check everything as asked, which everything was Great! I am very happy with the results so far. I highly recommended Dr. Panine and have a lot of people excited to see my hair grow. 

Here are some photos of my head also, three days after and I’ll be continuing the photo progression. Here’s day 5 going onto 6. (11th-12th photo) Ten Day mark (13-16 photo)
Thank you for reading this review and hope this will help your decision. 
Thank you Stuart and Dr.Panine! 

Wolfgang, Cayden 004 - Edited.jpg

Wolfgang, Cayden 003 - Edited.jpg

Wolfgang, Cayden 002 - Edited.jpg

IMG_7477 - Edited.jpg

IMG_7479 - Edited.jpg

IMG_7478.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG

IMG_7476.JPG

image2 (1).jpeg

image1 (2).jpeg

2FB935D0-D664-4593-BB2E-C6F347AE0244.jpeg

B13CB52A-8EC1-46B3-94A1-93EDA42BC548.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2 (2).jpeg

image1 (4).jpeg

image1 (3).jpeg

Edited by cwolf
Photo progression

I've been doing a lot of research since you're the second person to comment on the punch size. Seeing some of your posts, I know you know a good amount about F.U.E and probably know that some F.U.E. Surgeons do punch sizes up to 1mm. In fact, .9mm is currently fairly standard for F.U.E. procedures; besides creating larger scars, larger punches can risk collateral damage to neighboring follicles. Smaller punches risk transecting the follicle structure, or not bringing enough scalp tissue along that will allow the follicle to survive. I do see a lot of pictures with people with smaller punches like yours that heal quicker but, that's not always the best options for surgeons and there overall needs to be compromises to achieve the results you want. I personally don't mind the punch size as long as it heals well; which, I am fortunate enough to have a lot of dermatologists' and aestheticians' as clients to know what to do and how to heal it even better then most would (Thank god for being a hairstylist!).  I've also, seen other before and after photos of Dr. Panine with the same punch size (.7mm) and they had pretty great recovering results and overall even better hair results.
So, please don't be alarmed because all procedures are done differently and all overall healing results are different depending on the person. :)

Edited by cwolf

Definitely not a .7mm punch.

Mine was extracted with a .8mm punch and it looked like half the size of the punches in those pictures.

While reading this narrative and viewing the photos prior to seeing others responses, my immediate thought was punch size!  My procedures with a .8mm punch seemed much smaller, but photographs can be deceiving at times.  

My second thought was that the 2,500 graft procedure took 15 hours.  I’m more familiar with that number of grafts being extracted and placed in about 7-8  hours.  I’m sure the doctor was very meticulous and took his time with the patient.  

Looking forward to seeing more pictures down the road.  

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with others here. Trust me, there are thousands of pics on this site. The vets here know pics that look alarming and those that look clean/normal.

I don't know if Panine uses stick and place.....but if not, man, 15 hours is a long time for a surgery and a long time for those grafts to be out of the body.

I just can't for the life of me understand those in Chicago who supposedly research and then don't go with Konior. It's like saying your dad owns a Ferrari dealer and after doing research, you figured buying a minivan was the best car to go with.

Edited by matt3480
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, matt3480 said:

I just can't for the life of me understand those in Chicago who supposedly research and then don't go with Konior. It's like saying your dad owns a Ferrari dealer and after doing research, you figured buying a minivan was the best car to go with.

But what if you're a soccer mom? ?

From looking back at pics I'd say around the two weeks mark.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:04 PM, matt3480 said:

I agree with others here. Trust me, there are thousands of pics on this site. The vets here know pics that look alarming and those that look clean/normal.

I don't know if Panine uses stick and place.....but if not, man, 15 hours is a long time for a surgery and a long time for those grafts to be out of the body.

Matt,

I think you are being a bit unfair and your comments may be causing the poster some unnecessary anxiety. I have seen fantastic results from Dr. Panine, in fact another patient with similar hair characteristics as the poster had home-run results. Let's be respectful to those who have the courage to post their pictures and threads online, in the end that is what this website is all about posting our journey and results for the benefit of others. However, in order for this to thrive we have to remain respectful, especially if there are no results to judge.

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @htrestoration FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:54 PM, newpatient99 said:

But what if you're a soccer mom? ?

Again, guys let's keep this thread respectful, let's respect the poster who is genuinely posting and sharing his experience with the forum.

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @htrestoration FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

U got a tough job Melvin .. keeping peace with members n clinics .. I got ur back Melvin .. keep things civilized gentlemans.. 

:)

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Matt,

I think you are being a bit unfair and your comments may be causing the poster some unnecessary anxiety. I have seen fantastic results from Dr. Panine, in fact another patient with similar hair characteristics as the poster had home-run results. Let's be respectful to those who have the courage to post their pictures and threads online, in the end that is what this website is all about posting our journey and results for the benefit of others. However, in order for this to thrive we have to remain respectful, especially if there are no results to judge.

This is a great point. There are some good results I’ve seen from Dr. Panine. Konior is an excellent surgeon but maybe some people don’t want to wait for 1 year to have a procedure. Cost can be another concern as I don’t know the difference between the two. It’s not like the op went to an unqualified doctor. Based on his description of events during surgery it sounds like they took good care of him.

Hey Guys,

Both Dr. Panine and Dr. Koniorare excellent surgeons and both are highly esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.   In this post, a patient of Dr. Panine shared his experience and photos.   I know there have been some concerns posted about punch size. I think perhaps the patient should get a confirmation on which punch size was used however, using a pump size up 0.9 mm or even 1.1 mm under some circumstances is completely appropriate.  Thus, in my opinion I don’t think there’s any reason to be concerned at this stage.  

I’m sure the patient will have great results I look forward to seeing them when they grow in. 

Best wishes,

Bill

I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and this Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:56 AM, jj51702 said:

This is a great point. There are some good results I’ve seen from Dr. Panine. Konior is an excellent surgeon but maybe some people don’t want to wait for 1 year to have a procedure. Cost can be another concern as I don’t know the difference between the two. It’s not like the op went to an unqualified doctor. Based on his description of events during surgery it sounds like they took good care of him.

Op should not feel uneasy. I’m sure he will have very good results. However, I don’t get the whole “some people don’t want to wait” thing. It’s not really any different than the principle that you should not let distance be a factor in picking a surgeon. Let’s be honest, we could all go to some mill surgeons who I’m sure would fit us in next week....that’s doesn’t mean we should.

Want that brand new sportscar? Well, sometimes there is a waiting list...that’s just the way it is. 

My comparison with the minivan and Ferrari may have been harsh and I apologize for that. Panine has some good results and you should take comfort in that. However, being in the Chicago area...I’d wait 14 months for Konior any day over only waiting 2 months for anyone else. Just my 0.02. This is hair you are going to have the rest of your life. 

Edited by matt3480

Both are great surgeons, I’ve been very impressed with Dr. Panine, I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Guys, let’s not forget the Dr. Panine has proved himself and is a highly esteemed member of the Coalition.   Members are certainly allowed to have their preferences in terms of which doctor they prefer, but Dr. Panine did meet our demanding standards and patience did approve him for membership. 

Not only that, but let’s not forget that the standard punch size for FUE is between .7 mm and 1.1 mm. There are circumstances where larger punches are needed and required and even though these punches appear larger, they don’t appear any larger than 1.1 mm which some doctors use on a regular basis under certain circumstances. 

Frankly, the donor wounds have healed very nicely with no signs of scarring so those who have concerns should feel better knowing that his daughter area looks quite good. It’s also proof that large of punches can be used without any problems when appropriate for the patient. 

I understand everybody’s desire to see smaller and more refinement incisions and punches but sometimes, it’s just not possible and it largely depends on the patient. Remember, the smaller the punch, the more fragile the follicular unit  because it will lack the necessary tissue surrounding the follicle that protects it and provides optimal growth yield. 

So let’s not forget, that larger punches often healed better quality follicles while smaller punches may look nicer after surgery but could jeopardize the quality of the grafts.  Don’t get me wrong, obviously under many circumstances, smaller punches can be used quite successfully bought and some patients and in some cases, larger punches are required. 

The best thing to do here is to focus on the patients progress and results that are still yet to come. 

I personally feel confident that he will get excellent results. 

Best wishes,

Bill

I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and this Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

@cwolf,

Things are looking really good for only three months. And you’ve obviously heal very nicely and your pictures alone should silence your critics :-). Your donor area has healed very well with no signs of scarring.

Please keep us posted and I look for to seeing the results when they grow in.

By the way, feel free also to create a patient website which is still the best way to chart your progress with journals, photo albums, videos, etc. You can even read and review your surgeon. Just go to 

Www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog

Note that we are in the process of creating and finalizing new patient websites which will  look and function beautifully on both a computer and the mobile device. Everybody’s patients websites will be upgraded so even if you create this website on the old system, it will be on the new system all optimized when complete. So I’m looking for two showing everybody in a short bit. 

best wishes,

Bill

Well said in your previous post “Bill”.  The smaller the punch size, the more fragile the graft and the more skills necessary for the surgical team.

Best of luck to you “cwolf”,  looking forward to seeing additional pictures from you in a couple more months. You have lots to look forward to.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.