Does the redness ever disappear completely?

Hey guys,

I see many people after they had successful HT, they still have some pinkish color in the recipient area even after 12months +

I know there's should be some reddness in the first months, but does it ever disappear completely?

Here's an example of what i'm talking about

https://www.chicagohairinstitute.com/photogallery/hair-loss-surgery-6206/2635-high-density-frontal-restoration-40877

The results are amazing and this is top doc in my opinion, however, if you look in the very front of the hairline, it looks slighty red\purple color, I wonder if that's because of the picture or because of the high quality camera and if it doesn't look like that in real life.

Thank you!

I had a lot of redness with my first HT, it lingered many months but did eventually subside.

My skin was far more cooperative in my subsequent surgeries which were done with Dr. Gabel, for whatever reason the lingering redness was not repeated in post-op with him.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

7 hours ago, Speegs said:

I had a lot of redness with my first HT, it lingered many months but did eventually subside.

My skin was far more cooperative in my subsequent surgeries which were done with Dr. Gabel, for whatever reason the lingering redness was not repeated in post-op with him.

That's good to know, so basically now your skin healed 100% to his natural color? Or if you look real close you can still see some redness?

Edited by aaron0d3

• Moderators

I've had more work done than anyone as far as how many sessions and I don't have any redness on my scalp.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

There are several cases where the redness did not go away but for most patients it does with time.

Talk with your surgeon...if the lingering redness persists, your doctor can advise you on using a topical steroid cream which can help.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm three years post op and after a shower it still is Pinker than the surrounding skin. It subsides and you can't see it under regular circumstances but if I were to shave my recipient area, I'm betting the skin tone would be definitely different. 

On a side not. I went off minox for a few days one time and noticed the pinkness was almost not present. Not sure if minox has anything to do with the lingering pinkness due to the extra capillaries that produced after the recipient incisions we're made. 

Worst case, I'm likely going to try v beam down the road if I decide to shave the recipent area and not go for additional procedures

Edited by Spidey

So is it confined to the recipient area only?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Generally speaking, I think the redness eventually completely goes away. However, a lot of this depends on the person's skin, how sensitive it is, how diligent they are in avoiding the sun, etc. 

My redness/pinkness lasted quite a bit longer than I would've liked, but eventually it got back to normal. I've always had a very sensitive scalp. Looking at my pictures, there was still a bit of pinkness even at the 12 month mark, (although it was covered by my hair, so it didn't bother me). Now, 4 years later, it's completely gone. Not sure when that happened exactly, but I imagine by the end of year 2 at the latest. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Spidey,

Minoxidil can definitely promote a pink or redness in the scalp.  Have you talked to your doctor about using a steroid cream?

Gillenator