Couto & Freitas

Does Couto have an actual website? Outside of youtube, I can't find much.

De Freitas has an INSANE volume of FUE. Does anyone know how he is able to do so many procedures? Is his clinic mostly technician run?

I have a hunch most people here haven't worked with them or researched them much because of their insane wait lists, but if anyone is aware would appreciate your insight.

Probably. I wouldn't mind too much if the results are good though, and they often are. Also, with the high visibility of his work out there, because of how many patients post, I think it is a good enough sample to make an informed decision of what to expect

I've reviewed about 50 patient submitted cases of de Freitas on recuperar and about 30 of Couto, will probably have gone through their entire roster shortly. 

Couto is definitely more consistent and impressive, though de Freitas is close behind. I don't think his 4-5 year wait list is because of his celebrity soccer players alone, though I'm sure that's helped. One of the threads with Javier Farinos (FARI78) is pretty funny, as most of the users doubt it's him until the doc posts a picture of them together. 4350 FUE procedure with 10/10 results. Couto is the best I've seen, does with FUE what Koni does with strip.

Occasionally de Freitas will have a case where you're like 'Wow what went wrong there." For the most part elite level results though, and seems to have become more consistent over the last few years. Similar to Lorenzo, beyond most of the North American guys. I would probably put de Freitas slightly above even Feriduni, Bisanga and Erdogan. They both do beautiful hairline work as well, some of the best I've seen.

Perhaps the slight difference has to do with tech variability, not sure. To a greater degree we are ranking their support staff in Europe -- I wished they published more information about specific techs, owing to their greater involvement in extraction and placement. Would be nice to have excellence at that level acknowledged as well. That's why it's so helpful when patients include information about the entire staff when they submit their own cases.

Both C & F tend to use higher graft numbers and the donor wounds seem larger then those of Lorenzo or Koni, though I'm not sure of the exact caliber. de Freitas quoted me 2.8 k as compared to 2 K most other places I've asked. Not sure if they count the grafts on extraction or implantation.

Edited by bismarck
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 12:39 PM, bismarck said:

"...I've reviewed about 30 of Couto"

His work on youtube is absolutely amazing and I know on all the forums he is said to be one of the best but I'm struggling to find actual reviews by patients. Would it be possible for you to share the link to some of these reviews?

Thanks

On 8/31/2018 at 1:39 PM, bismarck said:

I've reviewed about 50 patient submitted cases of de Freitas on recuperar and about 30 of Couto, will probably have gone through their entire roster shortly. 

Couto is definitely more consistent and impressive, though de Freitas is close behind. I don't think his 4-5 year wait list is because of his celebrity soccer players alone, though I'm sure that's helped. One of the threads with Javier Farinos (FARI78) is pretty funny, as most of the users doubt it's him until the doc posts a picture of them together. 4350 FUE procedure with 10/10 results. Couto is the best I've seen, does with FUE what Koni does with strip.

Occasionally de Freitas will have a case where you're like 'Wow what went wrong there." For the most part elite level results though, and seems to have become more consistent over the last few years. Similar to Lorenzo, beyond most of the North American guys. I would probably put de Freitas slightly above even Feriduni, Bisanga and Erdogan. They both do beautiful hairline work as well, some of the best I've seen.

Perhaps the slight difference has to do with tech variability, not sure. To a greater degree we are ranking their support staff in Europe -- I wished they published more information about specific techs, owing to their greater involvement in extraction and placement. Would be nice to have excellence at that level acknowledged as well. That's why it's so helpful when patients include information about the entire staff when they submit their own cases.

Both C & F tend to use higher graft numbers and the donor wounds seem larger then those of Lorenzo or Koni, though I'm not sure of the exact caliber. de Freitas quoted me 2.8 k as compared to 2 K most other places I've asked. Not sure if they count the grafts on extraction or implantation.

I thought de freitas did all the work? Are you saying he uses techs for extraction?

Both surgeons have some amazing looking work. Especially impressed by Couto's results and I believe he does the hole procedure himself. On his youtube videos, most of the patients do tend to have dark, thickish hair, maybe suggesting a lot of the patients are Spanish so would be interesting to see some results with patients of other backgrounds. 

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

Both surgeons have some amazing looking work. Especially impressed by Couto's results and I believe he does the hole procedure himself. On his youtube videos, most of the patients do tend to have dark, thickish hair, maybe suggesting a lot of the patients are Spanish so would be interesting to see some results with patients of other backgrounds. 

No doubt Couto has great artistic ability and skill. However, I've heard he is picky with who he accepts as patients. It seems like he usually picks patients with goog donor characteristics and I believe I have only seen him operate on patients up to norwood 5. 

4 hours ago, Payam said:

I thought de freitas did all the work? Are you saying he uses techs for extraction?

Freitas uses techs for extraction, Couto does himself. 

5 hours ago, Payam said:

Does couto do repair cases?

website says they do repair cases at an additional cost due to complexity, donor/recipient site scarring, and overall additional time required to perform surgery in repair cases -  

On 2/11/2019 at 4:31 AM, fueme said:

His work on youtube is absolutely amazing and I know on all the forums he is said to be one of the best but I'm struggling to find actual reviews by patients. Would it be possible for you to share the link to some of these reviews?

Thanks

Here you can see a review of an actual Couto patient.

Procedure done last year. 

https://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=73683

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for the information comparing both these doctors. Information for them is sparse on the English forums and also tough to come by

I am considering Dr Freitas for surgery, and am looking for many more patient posted surgery reviews. Where can one find them ? Can anyone possibly guide me to a link or post here itself.

Thanks,

• Moderators

What is the point of having a consultation and then booking the hair transplant for 3 or 4 years in the future? By the time your surgery date comes the original consultation would be useless. Any plan that was made, amount of grafts you need, etc may all change by then. Heck, even the price can change over 3 to 4 years time. What good is that? I went from NW 3 to NW 6 in less time there is between his consultation and surgery dates. If you were at the point of being ready to do something about your hair loss.... nope, sorry... you have to wait 4 years. That doesn't make any sense. I don't know why anyone would go there. Being told I'd have to wait a year just for a consultation would make me say no and move on right there. What happens after you FINALLY have the hair transplant and have a question or maybe you don't get the amount of density you were hoping for or whatever it may be? Do you have to wait another year to even talk to him? Do you have to wait another 4 years for a 2nd surgery? Why would anyone do that? I'm not saying the guy doesn't do good work, but I just don't understand why anyone would go through it for that long if you can go somewhere else to get it done.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

41 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

What is the point of having a consultation and then booking the hair transplant for 3 or 4 years in the future? By the time your surgery date comes the original consultation would be useless. Any plan that was made, amount of grafts you need, etc may all change by then. Heck, even the price can change over 3 to 4 years time. What good is that? I went from NW 3 to NW 6 in less time there is between his consultation and surgery dates. If you were at the point of being ready to do something about your hair loss.... nope, sorry... you have to wait 4 years. That doesn't make any sense. I don't know why anyone would go there. Being told I'd have to wait a year just for a consultation would make me say no and move on right there. What happens after you FINALLY have the hair transplant and have a question or maybe you don't get the amount of density you were hoping for or whatever it may be? Do you have to wait another year to even talk to him? Do you have to wait another 4 years for a 2nd surgery? Why would anyone do that? I'm not saying the guy doesn't do good work, but I just don't understand why anyone would go through it for that long if you can go somewhere else to get it done.

Personally I don't believe there's an actual 4 year list of people waiting for surgery every day Monday-Friday. Its 261 patients a year x 4 years = 1044. Its if there is no holidays for surfeon and taking 1 patient a day.

As you mentioned you wouldn't wait 4 years for that. I'm not even mention consultation part. I believe its 100% marketing. Once you apply they for sure will mention "extra opened slot at particular day for extra price" or something similar.

• Like 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, sandyr said:

@Emmanuelb - If you see the thread, the hairline isn't natural at all.  Do you have links to more patient reviews for Dr. Couto, I'm considering him but for me hairline has to be natural and wondering if you have more links so I can decide.

Yeah I had a look and agree. The hairline grafts are far too thick. 

Not elite level work I'm afraid. 

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

That's probably the reason why we don't see many reviews from direct patients of Dr. Couto, He may be good at times and probably not consistent.  I even asked the team to share any patient reviews but they were reluctant to share and asked me to check youtube videos :)

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2019 at 12:10 AM, Emmanuelb said:

Here you can see a review of an actual Couto patient.

Procedure done last year. 

https://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=73683

Here another excellent case of a diffuse alopecia from a Couto´s patient

https://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=71184

There are many more on Foro Recuperar El Pelo