Propecia efficiency after 13 years

conan

Dear All

I am a 13 years old Propecia user , I recently discovered that the drug seems to be less effective . 

While my hair loss was kind of "under control" for the last 12 years I recently discovered that the fining is starting again . 

The only thing that I did since 3 years was to use generic propecia and went back on "official" propecia like 2 months ago .

Is there a known thing such as finasteride losing its efficiency after all those years ? 

thanks !

K.

Not uncommon after a decade or so of the use to see efficacy drop a little bit with the 1 mg Propecia/ finasteride dosage.

I'd consult with a dermatologist about perhaps upping the dosage a little, you can also discuss duasteride if you feel the efficacy of it has declined substantially.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 4 weeks later...

Yes mate, I'd been on Propecia for a similar period of time. Was convinced I was noticing excessive shedding from around Sept last year, which never seemed to slow. So I switched to Dutasteride in March earlier this year, been on the drug for approaching 6 months now.

To be honest, I've not noticed any change in shedding since moving to the new meds, but it's still early days. It's so hard to tell with my hair. But ultimately yes, I raised the same question as you a while ago, and most people seem to think it will likely lose its effecitiveness over time.

However, I will add that I personally felt branded Propecia worked better for me than generic - I seemed to notice more shedding when I switched to generic, so always stuck with branded after that.

4 minutes ago, skinnyshaft said:

Yes mate, I'd been on Propecia for a similar period of time. Was convinced I was noticing excessive shedding from around Sept last year, which never seemed to slow. So I switched to Dutasteride in March earlier this year, been on the drug for approaching 6 months now.

To be honest, I've not noticed any change in shedding since moving to the new meds, but it's still early days. It's so hard to tell with my hair. But ultimately yes, I raised the same question as you a while ago, and most people seem to think it will likely lose its effecitiveness over time.

However, I will add that I personally felt branded Propecia worked better for me than generic - I seemed to notice more shedding when I switched to generic, so always stuck with branded after that.

You can also start cutting the generics in half or thirds to up the dosage a little bit. I sort of started that just out of laziness, may be one reason my efficacy seems to be unaltered after 13 years.

Edited by Speegs

I think your genetics eventually beat propecia, but it us still effective. You should continue to take it. 

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

7 hours ago, Spanker said:

I think your genetics eventually beat propecia, but it us still effective. You should continue to take it. 

Yeah, a few other people were speculating the same in the other threads, that your hairloss will eventually catch up with you, no matter how much you manage to slow it with meds.

Sad if true, but we can still hope.

14 hours ago, skinnyshaft said:

Yeah, a few other people were speculating the same in the other threads, that your hairloss will eventually catch up with you, no matter how much you manage to slow it with meds.

There's some dignity in thinning some with age, whereas MPB is typically a fast and often premature indignation.

16 hours ago, skinnyshaft said:

If you dont have strong hairloss genetics, I dont know that you will ever lose as much had you not taken it. 

Someone that is very hairloss sensitive may still go to a NW6, but say you have someone that would be a NW4 at 60, he may never progress past a NW3.

Plus, if you get enough age on fin, it allows you to look good at a much lower density. 

There are a lot of advantages getting an extra 15 years or more with good hair. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hello,

(sorry for some of the misppelaing here , I am not a native english speaker) 

Thanks you all for your answers . Indeed , I have been taking Propecia since April 2005 , almost 14 years now .

During that time I read and come across many threads and discussions about the med itself , it effects and so on . 

So I am sharing my own personal experience here

- 2 years ago my local chemist decided to switch me from "real" propecia to generic . Donc do it , after 18 month I could see the thinning starting again . At least this is what I saw and this is my own experience . Might not be true for eveyrone but for me I could see a reall difference between the product for Merck and the associated generic . I since went back to normal propecia (like 4 months agao) and thing are back to normal . 

- Sexual effect : Clearly there is one thing that is for sure , Propecia is indeed interfering with your day to day sexuality . I never really any sides effects but I am clearly less "resistant" than I use to be . 

On the second main topic that I have been able to see in the past few years , meaning propecia tends to make people infertile.

My wife did have some issue getting pregnant , without disclosing too much details , the issue was more "mechanical" than anything else . We had twind back in 2011 via FIV but she becomes pregnant again in January this year naturally -------------- > the mistery of mother mature . 

So is Propecia making people infertile ? I dont know , but for me after 14 years it is clearly not the case . 

Finally my dad was a nwd 6 , without the meds and surgery I will be nwd 5 today , I am currently planning one last surgery with Dr Wong for 2019 summer .

voila

thanks