Being seen in public

Hi Harry,

The scabs/crusts from the planted grafts usually take 2-3 weeks to fall off, after the HT procedure. After that, you should be comfortable in public. Obviously, you will still have the look of very short trimmed hair (assuming your hair will be trimmed to a #1 grade before the FUE procedure).

All the best.

Regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I wore a hat for about 3 weeks before I felt comfortable going out without it. I buzzed my head after my HT, and the redness in my recipient area lingered longer than I would've liked. I've always had a sensitive scalp, so I wasn't surprised that this happened. 

Once I hit the 3 week mark, in my mind, the redness was still extremely noticeable. However, I trusted my friends who assured me that it didn't look alarming or noticeable, and at the very worst, someone would think I had a mild sunburn. I trusted that and started going to work without the hat. 

Nobody ever mentioned anything. That doesn't mean I can say with certainty that nobody noticed anything, but if they did, they didn't bring it up. 

All of that said, if I could go back in time and give myself some advice that would've made the entire HT process a lot less stressful, it would be this: "Own it. Ultimately, nobody cares if you had a hair transplant. Don't stress out about it. Be less secretive and more open. You don't have to broadcast it, but entertain the idea that getting a HT doesn't have to be this dark, dirty secret... More often than not, people will be fascinated by the entire process, applaud you for doing something about your hair loss, and ultimately forget all about it.. Heck, people will even admit to wanting to address their own hair loss, or mention a boyfriend or a brother or a friend who is also self-conscious about his hair loss, and they'll want to spread this new information to them... Relax and breathe and be proud of who you are and the decision you made to actively do something to help you feel better about yourself..."

That's the pep talk I wish I would've known to give myself.... Then again, I'm sure there's no way I would've listened to any of it at the time anyway. ;)

Good luck! 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators

For my second procedure, I returned to work after two weeks. I worked in an office setting where I could not wear hats. I felt comfortable enough, but in my private life I wore hats up until I started seeing hair growth which was around 4 months.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.