Ray Konior, MD – 1145 FUE – August 2018 (Chicago Hair Institute)

1978matt

4 minutes ago, wheretogo said:

Hey matt,

just saw your previous thread and wow, what an amazing result, super fantastic.

congrats on both of the procedures.

how much grafts did you add to the front of the scalp and where? and why? you wanted more density to that area?

I gave the doctor a free reign and he decided to put about 32 singles in the widows peak over a couple of sq cm area.  I guess he likes to tweak his work.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 hours ago, 1978matt said:

2 Months

A token photo attached but nothing to see really.  I can see some of the hairline grafts didn't shed but are sitting static at about 2 or 3mm and not growing.  The same thing happened on the first HT so no concerns there.

I've noticed 2 or 3 pimples in the donor with one near the left nape which is sticking around for a while. Probably an ingrown hair.  Will keep an eye on it.

I'm not using rogaine this time so not expecting fast growth.  Maybe see something in December or January (4th and 5th months) if I'm lucky.

Hey matt, congrats on the transplant. I was wondering since I'm also at the 2 month mark and I see lots of static hairs on my frontal area which most of them are not growing in length, although a few are. My question is based on your previous transplant, when do these hairs start to grow? and when do they make a cosmetic difference? I'm using rogaine,finasteride and taking hair vitamins.  Right now my assumption is that by the 4'th month I should see a decent cosmetic difference but its really difficult right now to think that in two months there will be such a huge change seeing as now there is barely any difference.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:00 PM, hairaway said:

My question is based on your previous transplant, when do these hairs start to grow? and when do they make a cosmetic difference?

Out of the near 8000 hairs probably only 700 stuck around.  Half were static and others just kept growing.  I can't remember when the static ones kicked in, probably around months 4 or 5 if I had to guess.

I saw very fine wispy hairs from month 4 which got quite long and wispy before eventually thickening up from months 5 to 11.  Month 12 onward seemed like only subtle changes.

On a different note, I just got back from the gym and after a shower the pimple in my nape area burst with little effort.  It was delightful!  Mostly white pus with a couple of hair fragments within it.  Good to have that drained and I cant feel any others!

Are you open about having had a HT Matt? If so, how do people react when you tell them you had one done?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update as I noticed from just after month 2 that I could feel new hairs sprouting.  Below shows preop versus current (about a week short of 3 months).  Photos in the worst possible condition, i.e. spot lights and wet hair.

July18.JPG.f9acdeb83baecb5d4db75177f1d3bcd6.JPGNov18.thumb.JPG.9071ee66fd981d78892ca899977e0e94.JPG

On 10/20/2018 at 2:11 PM, delancey said:

Are you open about having had a HT Matt? If so, how do people react when you tell them you had one done?

Yeah fairly.  Besides friends a few people at work (5 or 6) know I had it done and I've told a few random people I've come across.  Most just say they cant tell anything is off about it.  It just looks like normal hair.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks for posting these honest photos Matt, do you feel like you suffered any shock loss at all?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

No I never noticed any shock loss although the area was quite bare to start with, especially that central area.

• 1 month later...

4 months and very pleased with the progress.  In normal lighting the area looks to be filling in nicely.  Pictures below under spot light.

0.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Looking great man, congratulations, Dr Koniors results consistently amaze me, your first transplant with him was over 4000+ grafts, was this in one session, one day? Doesn't he usually do really conservative procedures of no more than 2k to 2500 grafts?

8 hours ago, Kiwi Guy said:

Looking great man, congratulations, Dr Koniors results consistently amaze me, your first transplant with him was over 4000+ grafts, was this in one session, one day? Doesn't he usually do really conservative procedures of no more than 2k to 2500 grafts?

Not sure if he does the really big sessions any more, you would have to ask him. Pretty sure he will still do over 3000 for FUT but maybe not 4000+. He's in his mid 60s now and can't be working 18 hour days!

1 minute ago, 1978matt said:

Not sure if he does the really big sessions any more, you would have to ask him. Pretty sure he will still do over 3000 for FUT but maybe not 4000+. He's in his mid 60s now and can't be working 18 hour days!

Makes total sense

On 12/16/2018 at 2:35 PM, 1978matt said:

Man I didn't know he was in his 60's, this might sound horrible but the thought of this guy retiring before having the chance to get a surgery with him is horrible lol.. how long was the wait time for your surgeries? And why didn't you FUT it? Did you have an in person consult with him before your first surgery to determine If you were a viable patient?

• Administrators

Great stuff Matt, everything looks right on track thanks for keeping us updated.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:46 AM, Payam said:

Man I didn't know he was in his 60's, this might sound horrible but the thought of this guy retiring before having the chance to get a surgery with him is horrible lol.. how long was the wait time for your surgeries? And why didn't you FUT it? Did you have an in person consult with him before your first surgery to determine If you were a viable patient?

I just had a session with him yesterday, Dec 18. He put in a 15 hour day on a 1,600 graft FUE session. My first session was FUT 5 years ago for 3,425 grafts. The wait time then was 2 months. This time? 12.5 months. Might even be longer now. 

Edited by Since21

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

On 12/17/2018 at 5:46 PM, Payam said:

I had an inperson consultation around March 2013.  Wait time to surgery was 4 months from April 2013.  Second wait time was late August 2017 to mid August 2018.

I didn't need that many grafts this time so chose FUE.  The strip area was generally avoided so I still have that in the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a great result so far Matt.

I'm also thinking of getting a procedure done with Dr Konior. 

You mentioned you take 1/4 proscar twice a week. Is this 1mg cut into 4 or 5mg cut into 4?

How long have you been taking this for?

Thanks

MM

1 hour ago, mrmane85 said:

Looks like a great result so far Matt.

I'm also thinking of getting a procedure done with Dr Konior. 

You mentioned you take 1/4 proscar twice a week. Is this 1mg cut into 4 or 5mg cut into 4?

How long have you been taking this for?

Thanks

MM

Thanks yes, I saw a friend I hadn't seen for a couple of months yesterday (he knows I had the procedures) and he said my hair was looking really good.  I think it has not been this good since 1999/2000.

It's 5mg split into quarters.  I've been doing that for maybe 2 years, possibly 3.  Prior to that I spent 2 years on 1mg Propecia, 1mg or 0.5mg twice a week mostly.  Proscar (I use the Chibret brand) is far cheaper which is why I switched.  Side effects seem very minimal these days.  (used to get brain fog)

Hard to say if it is optimal but my balding has not changed and I seem to shed a lot of body hair - a recongnised side effect of Fin.

Edited by 1978matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Wow huge improvements, hard to believe it was 5 months ago time flies. Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

View my thread