Haircut and hairstyle right after shaven FUE (share ideas)

BigBen

I have NW3 and had FUE done recently. I have been seeing different haircuts and hairstyles right after FUE. Obviously, the best ones are the rare unshaven cases where you can have a perfectly natural hair covering the recipient area. But for those that are shaven FUE patients (most of us), I think that you only have two options:

1. You can keep your hair really short until the recipient area looks like the rest of your scalp so you don't have random hairs showing up.

2. You can let your native hairs grow and comb them forwards like an unshaven FUE patient would do since the beginning so you cover the recipient area with them.

I would like to know how long do you have to wait for shaving your head after FUE so the first option is totally safe.

I am wondering if people have tried the second option, how does it look?

I buzzed my native hair including donor 3wks post 1700FUE. I'm now coming up to 5 weeks and will probably still look ok until 6 weeks, then i will have to decide if i am going to buzz it all over including the recipient area. I will probably buzz it all 6 weeks and keep doing that until 4 months is up.

So to recap.

1. Head buzzed by Surgeon day 1
  2. 3 weeks in i buzzed it all except recipient
  3. 6 weeks i will buzz it all including recipient
  4. Then repeat that process 9 wks 12 wks 15 wks and possibly 18 wks
  5. After 18 wks i will start to let it all grow out and see how we go
  6. If native hair grows quicker i will buzz again every 3 weeks until recipient can keep up.

Okay so basically you wait six weeks before buzzing the recipient area, for protecting grafts I assume, and then you'd keep the hair short until it all is uniform. Thanks for the tips. I wasn't sure how long you have to wait until buzzing the recipient area. I wonder if anyone is playing with different tricks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I initially opted for option 2, but changed my mind after my procedure and wanted to buzz all the surrounding hairs on top. I spoke with my surgeon, and was given the ok to very carefully use clippers to trim the hairs around my recipient area after day 5. The first 72 hours are the most critical in terms of the grafts being anchored, and I made sure not to even come close to making contact with them anyway. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this, but it worked out just fine for me. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Did you shave your head just five days after the HT? It's been two months for me and I still haven't touched anything. I would like to style it forwards and after a year has passed by backwards, but it's still too short for anything.

On 10/1/2018 at 11:14 AM, BigBen said:

Did you shave your head just five days after the HT? It's been two months for me and I still haven't touched anything. I would like to style it forwards and after a year has passed by backwards, but it's still too short for anything.

I didn't shave it, but I buzzed it with clippers. The recipient area was already shaved, and the hair behind it was left long in an attempt to be able to style it forward to conceal the transplanted area. However, I changed my mind after the procedure and wanted everything uniform. I was instructed to wait until day 5, at which point the grafts were very secure, and then I took clippers with a guard and very carefully buzzed the hair surrounding the transplanted area. I understand that most people may not recommend this, but I know how meticulous and careful I am and I was very confident in my ability to do this without coming into contact with the grafts - and also understood that the grafts were extremely secure by then anyway. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I understand. Do not worry then. My head was shaved two months ago before the HT and I am still waiting a bit longer before I go to the hairdresser's so he has longer hair to work with, but I don't think I'll wait until the native hair is long enough to style it forwards. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Id wait at least 3 months or more to minimize risk.  If you get a buzz in public make sure they spray those clippers well to get rid of any ringworm, staph, folliculitus etc residue. Even if you do it yourself at home do the same thing.  You do not want to inadvertently cut yourself by accident which sometimes happens when buzzing thus risking such a Huge investment.  A cut can become a scar or can become infected.  This isn't a common occurance but still it can happen and then put doubts in your mind.  

Healing is important but Incan understand trying to keep thins even.  Some folks get closer crewcuts prior to transplant and that helps it blend more.  Few folks comb longer hair towards the recipient zones to cover it up.  Definitely weigh the pluses and minuses.  Best of luck.  

• Like 1