BAD FUT from Surgeon recommended on this website! Please help and give opinion

bbreal

I had an FUT procedure of 1600 grafts done about 7 months ago with one of the most recommended doctors on this website. I had full confidence in his ability since I had done a ton of research before going forward with the procedure. Around the 5th month I started noticing that I had a lot of doubles in the very front, then I noticed triples, now I even see some quads! It makes the procedure look extremely pluggy. 

What is everyone's opinion? Am I crazy. The doctor so far stands by his work, although he admits some of the triples were put there by accident and that he will remove them for free. But I thought even doubles should not be there? He says doubles are fine. 

I have added photos. I am flying to Arizona to see Dr Alexander in two weeks to get his opinion

I do not want to divulge the Dr's name yet as I want to give him the benefit of the doubt still

Thanks a lot

IMG_4017.thumb.jpg.b2ebfea04b05f380d5703521c4e65e5a.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

1600 grafts is not a huge HT.  FUT strips can certainly yield significantly more. How many singles, doubles, triples and more were harvested?  Were there enough singles to fully establish the hairline?

Looks like you have pretty course hair to begin with. I wouldn't want a lot of doubles in my hairline, but do you risk scarring to take the 2s out? Idk if it's worth it  

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

Hi 

Bbreal,

I understand you not wanting to name your surgeon publicly, to be fair the result doesn’t look bad, but it could use one refinement. I would ask the surgeon how these mistakes were made and what he will do to correct them.

Was the tech dissecting the strip new? Did they accidentally place the “2’s” with the “1’s”. With that said, I would not remove the twos from the hairline, but rather put 1’s I’m front of them. This way you don’t risk further scarring.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. The photos are pretty good quality, if you zoom in you’ll see that the problem is not just with doubles, there are a lot of triples in the front. The doctor said that one of his new technicians is responsible and that it should not have happened which is why he apologized and said he would fix it for free, he offered to either remove the threes, split them and put them back as singles or put singles in the front for free. As for the doubles he says that he doesn’t think those look bad and that he usually puts doubles and singles in the front. I just don’t agree with that! That is why I will go see dr Alexander, he has a full detail of how he does the hairlines and he advocates only singles in the front so I trust him more. I will post more pictures that show how pluggy it looks. 

• Administrators

The growth should improve, however the only way for it to be significantly improved is if singles grow in front of the multi-follicular unit grafts. Dr. Alexander, is a great surgeon, but I do feel that your surgeon is trying to make things right with you, errors and mistakes do happen unfortunately, but it is how the surgeons deal with them that matter. I hope you receive the results you deserve, if you ever wish for us to contact your surgeon on your behalf privately, please send me a private message, with your name and surgery date and I will reach out to the surgeon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I do appreciate that my doctor is trying to make things right, however there is a difference of opinion that I cannot get over, he only wants to fix the triples or quads, he thinks that doubles are fine. However I think that given how thick my hair is it should only be singles, and even within singles only the finest ones should've been used. Dr Alexander describes how to get a natural hairline on his website and I agree with him 100%. 

Also he blames the triples on one new technician but I have found them on both sides which doesn't make sense

I have posted a couple more pictures that I think illustrates better what I mean by it does not look natural. 

I have asked the doctor before how many singles/doubles/triples and quads but he hasn't provided a count yet. 

The doctor is extremely nice, and I do like him on a personal level. He even gave me 300 free grafts. I do believe he is trying to do what's right, I just don't think I agree with his ideas about hairlines.  This is why for now I have a hard time revealing his name even though I really don't want anyone else to go through the anguish I have been going through

I will message in private

Again I really REALLY appreciate all the input

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

• Like 1

I hope it softens up and blends better for you as the months go by.  Hairline does not look completely natural but possibly softer grafts should be in between to create a natural and full transition.  There is some gaps in between hairs but that may be due to the grafts used as stated above.  Hopefully as time goes on i hope it matures and looks better.  

He blames the triples on one new technician?  This is exactly why it is hard to guage a work of a clinic.  New techs come and you got issues.  Bottom line is, i hope you get it sorted without any stress or issue with anybody.  Best of luck man.

• Administrators

Bbreal,

As stated earlier, i'm sorry you're not completely satisfied with the outcome, while there could still be an improvement, double and triples in the hairline will not change unless single follicular unit grafts grow in front of them. I do not suggest you remove any grafts as this could risk scarring which will make it more difficult to transplant hair there in the future. I think an additional procedure transplanting single follicular unit grafts in the front will refine the hairline. With that said, the growth looks good and the design is not bad, it just needs refinement which could be easily fixed by your surgeon. With your caliber hair there should only be single follicular unit grafts in the hairline.

• Like 1

View my thread

I agree, removal could be a double edged sword.  You can risk more scar tissue and further damage to recipient zone (Increases risk of Ridging, Pitting, shockloss, and even cobblestoning). More 1’s can help it blend to make it more natural.  Some docs do recommend electrolysis but that can be risky too.  

Were these grafts placed in lateral slit format?  Or are you using any product in your hair to have them shift in different angles?  

Before pics would help seeing how much yield you got with these 1600 grafts via FUT.  But a graft breakdown with how many 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s can also help illustrate if it is efficient yield.  You seem to have thicker hair then most folks.  Best of luck with everything.  

• Thanks 1

Bbreal,

Like others have said, the hairline doesn’t look that bad but I can see where there appears to be doubles and maybe possibly even three haired grafts in the hairline.   I was going to ask if you originally had more natural hair in the hairline that since fell out and maybe that’s why the grafts were placed that way.  However, you said by the doctors on admission, that this was done by one of the technicians that he is sorry. 

I’ll be honest, I have a huge problem with this. While the hairline doesn’t look bad overall, putting a brand new technician on someone scalp without supervising them is blatantly irresponsible. Furthermore, the technician should have been well trained and known better long before he was ever allowed to touch a human scalp.   A surgeon recommended by this community should definitely know better than this. 

Since you have chosen not to name your surgeon publicly, and I respect your choice - but I ask that you contact me privately so we can discuss this further.   

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good job bill .. protect us from these surgeons experimenting with new techs on someones hair .. it’s permanent , n expensive surgery .. . Let the techs practice on themselves first before practicing on paying customers .. there really should be an industry standard on techs .. since this industry is gearing towards that route as more and more people are getting transplants .. 

• Like 1

Thanks refine for all the answers

i do not know about grafts being placed in lateral slits

I do not use any type of concealer 

I will ask my surgeon to give me the prop pics and post them

my hair looks dense as for now I only have loss in the very front, if anything I have too much hair on my crown and top which I hope stays that way since I am on propecia

Who would you guys recommend I should go to to fix this? Dr Alexander is the first name on my list, but maybe I should go to Rachael, hasson? What does everyone think? 

I have seen dr couto’s results in Spain and I have never been so impressed with anyone else? 

Again I want you guys to remember that although he blames the new tech for triples only on one side, I have doubles all over which he stands by and I also have triples on BOTH sides so I’m not buying his excuse 

He is also telling me that he could easily remove the triples and hasn’t mentioned anything about scarring 

and finally yea, I had the procedure done while i still hair in the hairline. Although my temples were pretty much empty 

I think you should name the surgeon. This may help others make an informed decision when they come to choosing a surgeon. I don't see the point in posting all this if you weren't going to tell us their name. It wasn't for opinions as you were clearly already on top of this as you'd been in touch with the clinic and already shortlisted other top surgeons to get the "repair work" done with. 

The multigrafts in the hairline are definitely an issue (and there are definitely a lot, almost without differentiation in placement), but personally I think the biggest negative is how poorly the hairs placed in the break from hairline to temple region looks. They are taken too low and rounded almost like a female hairline, and obviously that area requires even more softness and precision in angles to look natural but it looks quite odd.  There were likely never hairs in that area to begin with even prior to hairloss.

Dr Couto in Spain as you mentioned gets incredible results but his waiting list is 4 years so likely out of the question. Dr. Alexander does good work although I haven't seen any repairs from them and as does Hasson. Cooley also does impressive repair work.  Personally I would get the hairs in the temple area removed because they look very much out of place , and across the rest of the hairline have single hairs placed in front of the old hairline, and add density in general.

I think it makes sense not to name the surgeon, it gives leverage to get a refund potentially that you don't have if you instantly out them.

Edited by JeanLDD

5 hours ago, bbreal said:

Thanks refine for all the answers

i do not know about grafts being placed in lateral slits

I do not use any type of concealer 

I will ask my surgeon to give me the prop pics and post them

my hair looks dense as for now I only have loss in the very front, if anything I have too much hair on my crown and top which I hope stays that way since I am on propecia

Who would you guys recommend I should go to to fix this? Dr Alexander is the first name on my list, but maybe I should go to Rachael, hasson? What does everyone think? 

I have seen dr couto’s results in Spain and I have never been so impressed with anyone else? 

Again I want you guys to remember that although he blames the new tech for triples only on one side, I have doubles all over which he stands by and I also have triples on BOTH sides so I’m not buying his excuse 

He is also telling me that he could easily remove the triples and hasn’t mentioned anything about scarring 

and finally yea, I had the procedure done while i still hair in the hairline. Although my temples were pretty much empty 

Did you see my response to you to send me a private message?  If one of our recommended surgeons is transplanting  anything but single haired follicular units in the hairline, whether or not a technician did it,  is simply not acceptable. I will send you a private message since I have not heard from you but this is something that I want to be able to investigate and address with the surgeon. 

Even if it was because the technician is new, that is still unacceptable.   Ultimately, any trained technician should know better and frankly, a physician should never allow an untrained, new technician to operate on a real scalp especially, without being directly supervised. At the end of the day, the surgeon is responsible and poor work reflects on him or her, not the technician. Surgeons are responsible for their technicians. 

best wishes,

Bill

Sorry, to see such a result. We feel with you.

This is bad work in many ways:

- Big (dark) caliber hairs in front (it is not only about the multis)

- Multis in front

- Bad design and angles in the temples just like Jean mentioned

The story of the clinic is nonsense and you can easily tell their name, cause you should never set a foot back in there. Why  think like this?

- Obviously they have no protocoll for the techs

- The design and incisions is on the surgeon

- If the tech made a "mistake", why did the doc not see this directly after the OP? Didn't he check after the finished procedure

--> Also: I do not see much bumps on the skin. If the technician planted big multis in incisions for small singles (not big singles), there should be a lot of bumps. My conclusion: He already made way to big incisions.

- I also do not understand a 1600 FU strip for your case. But there might be a good reason.

Did I say before, that you should never set foot in there?

What can be done?

Easiest would be to put singles in front of the Multies via FUE, but we need to see your full face (with blacked eyes etc.) to see if this is possible from your hairline position. Also I agree with Jean that the temples might need extraction in any case.

There is a great repair case from Konior in here, which might help to understand the next steps.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Nowadays, 1600 FU is a small procedure. You seem to have an quite good status and great donor hair. There is no need for Strip in your case from what I see. A small FUE would do it. But: I do not have enough information about your case to make a final judgment.