How many hair has a Norwood 7 scalp lost?

I know what I'm about to propose sounds outrageous.?

Is it possible to literally extract every single hair graft from the "horseshoe fringe" via FUE, or does FUE extraction damage the hair graft directly next to it, which therefore makes extracting every single graft impossible?

Edited by True

• Moderators

Are you going for a permanent mohawk look? Or something like a shaved fade? Interesting idea, but you could be left with lots of dot scars from the FUE.

1031648787_ScreenShot2018-08-09at9_31_01PM.png.0bc6c52beda44b28bead37eb8491c52f.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 9.38.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 9.36.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 9.38.49 PM.png

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

It's surgically possible, but no ethical surgeon would do such a thing. There are instances where the surgeon may consider this if the patient uses a full cap hair system, but even then that would require the patient to wear a full cap hair system for the rest of their life. If the patient is 30 they would obviously want to do this, but how would they feel when they're 70, they may just want to bald gracefully without having a scalp that looks like the surface of the moon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It's surgically possible, but no ethical surgeon would do such a thing. There are instances where the surgeon may consider this if the patient uses a full cap hair system, but even then that would require the patient to wear a full cap hair system for the rest of their life. If the patient is 30 they would obviously want to do this, but how would they feel when they're 70, they may just want to bald gracefully without having a scalp that looks like the surface of the moon.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this may soon become a very popular option for high Norwoods.?

Norwood 7’s graft coverage varies based on surface area.  Some folks have small heads, some big.  Aside from that, density in donor matters, how many 1s, 2s, 3’s etc.  Aside from that, texture of hair matters, thick, thin, wavy, course, medium etc (varies by ethnicity).  aside from that, the caliber of the hair matters, how many microns? Aside from that, skin contrast and color could matter too.  

I’d say 30,000 grafts average, could be less based on factors above.  You may have to use “other” parts of body if you do not gave enough grafts as ammo.  

Probably, the safer option on a slick bald norwood 7 head is a high end hair system. That way there is no destruction to your donor and you can blend your donor to that hair system which nowadays look way more matural then a see through transplant.  A transplant in which folks will know you had one and still possibly think you are going bald.  So, definitely check some hair systems first before even thinking about surgery if you are slick bald norwood 7.  It may save you a lot of headache.  If your transplant fails and you are a norwood 7 then you really have almost no point of return.  

Best of luck.