My FUE transplant!!

Long time lurker first time poster. So it's been 15 days since my procedure. I had 700 grafts added to my crown. I prolly should have had more but it's all I could afford and the doctor said it would be better than when I came in. I am deathly afraid it's going to look worse and cause my native hairs to fall out. I have been on propecia for 4 months prior. I know I should have waited a year. I was doing an ok job coving it daily but wanted to fill it in a bit. I'm afraid my everyone will notice a giant bald spot once the grafts and if I have shock loss. The dr. I chose is a reputable one on here. With 700 could it really make my hair worse? My front hair line is fine. I am also 33. I just wish I could go back in time and not do the procedure. Hopefully I'm just paranoid. Top photo is from June with hair longer covering spot. Middle photo is day 14 with me trying to cover it  and bottom is end of April without me combing it. 

IMG_7196.JPG

IMG_8391.JPG

IMG_6099.JPG

Edited by Worried in Il
Photos

• Administrators

Hi welcome to the forum,

it is perfectly normal to have “buyers remorse” especially when you’re heading towards the ugly duckling phase. It’s hard to comment on your specific situation without photos, but generally shock loss grows back. In the meantime, you could use toppik or DermMatch to conceal the spot.

warm regards- Melvin 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thank you Melvin. I have buyers remorse very much. The first photo is from June with my hair combed over it and the second from yesterday out of the shower trying to comb over it . As you can see once those grafts fall out in deathly afraid. I had miniaturized hairs there before. 

1 hour ago, Worried in Il said:

Long time lurker first time poster. So it's been 15 days since my procedure. I had 700 grafts added to my crown. I prolly should have had more but it's all I could afford and the doctor said it would be better than when I came in. I am deathly afraid it's going to look worse and cause my native hairs to fall out. I have been on propecia for 4 months prior. I know I should have waited a year. I was doing an ok job coving it daily but wanted to fill it in a bit. I'm afraid my everyone will notice a giant bald spot once the grafts and if I have shock loss. The dr. I chose is a reputable one on here. With 700 could it really make my hair worse? My front hair line is fine. I am also 33. I just wish I could go back in time and not do the procedure. Hopefully I'm just paranoid. 

IMG_7196.JPG

IMG_8391.JPG

IMG_8415.JPG

U should of came on here for advice first .. most of us would advised u against this ..too little grafts on an area that is likely to spread .. ur hair looked pretty good first pic .. but I can totally see why u want to have this done .. it’s too late to regret .. stay calm n patient .. things can still work out .. do u have pics of the surgery .. we here to support ya.. wear a cap when u need to n don’t worry too much .. 

Calm down.

In the best case you are looking better than before. In the worst case yoo look the same, but lost some money. No big deal.

You will not feel the 700 FU lost and it will not affect you way forward. You have great hair anyway. There will be some shockloss but most of it will be temporary.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Worried in Il said:

Thank you Melvin. I have buyers remorse very much. The first photo is from June with my hair combed over it and the second from yesterday out of the shower trying to comb over it . As you can see once those grafts fall out in deathly afraid. I had miniaturized hairs there before. 

Well you’re comparing one photo with dry hair and another with wet hair, when hair is wet the hair will clump together and expose scalp. What does your hair look like now dry?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

32 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

some

Thank you gasthoerer. That's my main concern is it being worse from losing native hairs for good. I'm hoping 700 won't shock to many. I'm still on propecia and should have waited the year like dr Keller suggested. 

• Administrators

Could it look worse in a year, it may look worse, but not as a result of the hair transplant. You can continue to lose hair if your hair loss isn’t stable. However, that would occur with or without the hair transplant. I’m fairly confident though you’ll look better, but keep in mind 700 grafts is a very small amount, so don’t expect a big difference, just a small minor change that you will notice. 

Shock loss or Telogen Effluvium occurs when there is trauma to the surrounding native hairs. This trauma causes the hairs to enter the Telogen (resting) phase sooner, which causes a shed. Hairs go in cycles, thus the hairs that go in to resting phase will soon return in to the anagen (growth) phase, this typically occurs around 3-4 months, so by a year you should look the same but slightly better. 

Below is an article discussing shock loss. 

Shock loss article

View my thread

• Administrators

It looks fairly normal, pimples and pain is normal for FUE, shock loss does occur in the donor area too. It should improve in the coming months.

View my thread

• Administrators

Shock loss generally appears around 1-2 months post-op and returns to normal around the 4-5th month. I experienced a bit of shock loss, but it returned around the 4th month and kept improving from there on. I’m sure you will be the same, in the meantime get some toppik and youll be perfect. 

View my thread

That was with it gelled and combed over the spot. The lighting wasn't as bright there. You're right. That is why I have remorse I should have waited and did it down the road when it's worse. My biggest fear is is triggered it more or it will look worse in 8-12 months

You will be fine....you are paranoid at the moment and need a reality check.  Do whatever follow up Panine suggests and move on.  You will be fine. 

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Worried, in some ways I do understand your concern. After all, you are new to hair transplant surgery and when you’re experiencing only a little bit of hair loss, you’re paranoid that you might lose even a little more. On the other hand, you have so much hair left that  you can hardly noticed there’s any thinning.    I remember when I first started losing my hair, the thought of losing even a little  killed me. Now, after I’ve restored  my hair and have only a little thinning left in the back, I’m grateful that I just have a little thinning. I could be completely bald. 

700 grafts is a very small amount So if you don’t lose any additional hair, you probably will end up with a net gain. However, if you don’t start using Propecia and Rogaine or at least one of them,  you may end up losing a lot more hair and then end up with a patch of hair in the crown followed by a halo of baldness. That to be honest with you is my concern.  

What did your hair transplant surgeon tell you in terms of long-term strategy? Because in my opinion, I don’t think you should’ve had surgery at this stage. 

Best wishes,

Bill

safe to assume this picture was taken under harsh lighting?  harsh lighting always makes hair look thin

If your hair looked like this under regular lighting then it makes sense to take the plunge; 700 grafts doesn't seem much but your doctor has posted some great results in the past. Maybe the quality of your 700 is so good that it'll do the job #Spartan700

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts