2.5 years after 3700 grafts - pics

motopokep

I've had 3700 grafts done in March of 2016, all over the crown area and some in the front.  I did not post any post-op pics,  I patiently waited for the hair to grow out over the years and I did see some new growth.  But for some reason I thought it would be much thicker than this.  I'm sure I've lost a lot of my previous "natural" hair  through natural balding, but I expected that, which is why I wanted the maximum grafts.  I don't use finasteride, take little biotin, and randomly use minoxidil, not regularly.  I have hair down to my shoulders now and it sucks that I have to cut it again and start all over.  I'm looking to do another surgery, with again as many grafts the doctor thinks will stick.   I'm not blaming the doctor at all, I've seen other members' photos with great results from doctor Nader.  I don't think it matters much where you get it done as long as the doctor knows what he is doing, it doesn't sound like a complicated procedure at all.  I think a lot of it has to do with how your scalp accepts the donor hair.   One would think that if you do this in the US for $8/graft you'll get better results, but I don't agree with that.  I'm looking to go back to Dr. Nader for 2nd surgery.   I'll post pics 1.5-2 years down the line from my second surgery (not scheduled yet) and let you know how it goes.  I'm curious for Dr. Nader to look at this when I go back and tell me if he thinks some of his grafts didn't pick up, or maybe I just balded some more.  Not a happy camper at this point.  Again, it's probably just me.

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

Edited by motopokep

Do u have pre-op pics ? What happended to all the grafts that were placed ? Did they not grow? Or they grew n ur native hair all fall out .. either way ,, it doesn’t look like u has anything done .. ur hairline looks decent .. but that top thinning is going to be difficult.. 

@motopokep

Thank you for returning to share your results 2.5 years after your hair transplant. It is very possible that you lost a lot more natural hair and what you’re seeing is the result of permanent hair do to your hair transplant but a total loss of your natural hair due to male pattern baldness, potentially exacerbated/escalated by the trauma to your scalp when you had the transplant. 

Now that said, this is just a guess. It’s also possible that you didn’t experience much growth. It would really help if you shared some of your progress pictures six months after your hair transplant, one year after your hair transplant, 18 months after and then of course we see now.   

The question is, what’s your hair ever thicker than it is now such as, year or year and a half ago? Have you been continuing to lose more hair? 

Also, how old are you? It’s very possible based on your hair loss pattern that I can see in your before pictures, that you are still losing natural hair or still work and while you may not have acquired any additional hair, at least your hair now is permanent… At least assuming the hair in your after pictures is transplanted hair.

I do recommend contacting Dr. Nader  to discuss your concerns and perhaps if you are local or are able, let him evaluate your scalp in person. 

Alternatively, you can visit one of our prescreened hair restoration physicians for a second evaluation. They can look at your scalp under magnification and see which hairs are transplanted and which ones are natural. Yes, you can tell under close magnification. 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp

Click above to see which hair transplants we recommend and to consult with one of them now. 

Best wishes,

Bill

i just posted 2 of my pre-op pics above from almost 3 years ago above, these pics are maybe 1-2 months apart, hence different hair length.  I don't know what to say.  Again, I am guessing I'm at that age, approaching 40, when hair loss really picked up.  It's hard to make a comparison because back then I had almost a buzz cut and now my hair is down to my traps.  I should have taken post surgery pics like 6 months out, a year out, a year and a half out.  I do remember though that I had a lot more fullness in that period and during the past year I noticed hair loss increased.  I can tell that the grafts placed by Dr. Nader grew out, I'm just not sure 100% of them grew out, and at a whooping 3700 graft placement I expected more.  I'll be doing a 2nd surgery this fall.  I'm thinking of going back to Dr. Nader, for him also to take a look and tell me what he thinks about results of my 1st surgery done by him, I already sent him these pics couple of days ago, but I know it's going to be a while before he responds.  Again, I've seen some fantastic results from guys posting on here and on youtube, after surgeries done by him.  My guess is that my result is a combination of not all grafts having picked up, which is gotta be my body's fault, and additional balding.  It's premature to say.  Maybe all 3700 grew, and if it wasn't for them, I would have been almost totally bald at the crown by now.  I'll try to look for some in between pics, but I doubt I have them.

Edited by motopokep

Based on what you’re telling me it really sounds like all or at least most of the transplanted hair did grow but that you are experiencing more natural hair loss to to male pattern baldness.    Believe it or not, 3700 grafts is not a lot in the scheme of things. If you lost a lot of natural hair,  and you’re a sensually bald on top other than the transplant and hair, then yes, you will still see substantial amounts of thinning  and need more work done. I hope your hair restoration surgeon went over this with you because the reality is, most people who continue to experience hair loss will need subsequent procedures to get the results they need and want.

As a case in point, I’ve had for hair transplants and 9600 grafts.  Without them, I’d be completely bald on top.  However, even though I’ve had so many grafts, there is still an appearance of thinning hair in the back.    Truthfully, it would take approximately 11,500 grafts  spread out over the entire top of a bald scalp, assuming somebody is a Norwood 5  to create an outfit illusion of density, which is approximately 50% original hair density. Somebody with out any hair loss possess is approximately 23,000 follicular units on top of their scalp.   Considering I’ve had 9600, pretty close to 11,500, my results are still pretty darn good. But true density is not really achievable for somebody like me or even you if you’ve lost all your natural hair.

I hope the above puts things in perspective for you and now you can plan accordingly. If you want thicker and fuller hair, you can certainly obtain it with subsequent hair transplant procedures.  

Question is, what are your goals now? Are you stopping or are you going back for more work?  And who will you go to if you undergo hair transplant surgery again?

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see about 1500 in the crown (just a guess) which was pretty much totally bald in your preops. That leaves 2200 for your midscalp and hairline, so, it is likely just additional hairloss. 

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

thanks for the replies guys, especially Bill.  I had no idea that there are that many follicles on top of the head, I thought close to 4k would cover and provide good density.  I am now confident that Dr. Nader did a fantastic job and that without the 3700 he put in, I'd be almost completely bald on top right now.  Btw...not all 3700 went into the crown.  I had 2,000 done 1st day on the crown, and 1700 2nd day towards front.   I always knew that I'd keep balding, but I didn't know I was going to go much more bald so fast, just 2.5 years after surgery...I thought I'd enjoy the thickness for 5-10 years more before I'd need another surgery, but I always knew I'd need another one.   I am looking to do one as soon as possible, and I already sent a request to Dr. Nader, but I know it's going to be a challenge getting a hold of him so I may send a few more emails and try calling his office next week.  I am willing to do maybe 2 more surgeries to get decent thickness.    I'm going back to Dr. Nader not just because of the price (but I admit it's a major factor, given that I have to travel), but also because he's very professional, seems very honest, and is just a nice guy.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

As a case in point, I’ve had for hair transplants and 9600 grafts.  Without them, I’d be completely bald on top.  However, even though I’ve had so many grafts, there is still an appearance of thinning hair in the back.    Truthfully, it would take approximately 11,500 grafts  spread out over the entire top of a bald scalp, assuming somebody is a Norwood 5  to create an outfit illusion of density, which is approximately 50% original hair density. Somebody with out any hair loss possess is approximately 23,000 follicular units on top of their scalp.   Considering I’ve had 9600, pretty close to 11,500, my results are still pretty darn good. But true density is not really achievable for somebody like me or even you if you’ve lost all your natural hair.

Very good advice for anyone who is losing hair.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing and updating your status after so long. It´s nice to see what´s happening to Hair Transplant patients after a couple or more years and not just seen the 12 months results.

As Bill told you, the most probably thing is that all that native hair is falling out which is a pity. 

What has been your POST-OP treatment after the surgery and during the past 2 years? 
Also, have you considered other Doctors apart from Nader? If so, which Doctors have you look into for your 2nd surgery?

Best,
Oli

In the 2nd pre op picture, there's a lot of weak looking hair that looked to be on it's way out so not totally surprising that a lot of it has probably gone in the last 2 years without the use of fin.

With your pattern of hair loss, I'd be tempted to get the opinion of a couple of other recommended Dr's before pulling the trigger even if it is just to gauge what the general consensus is regarding how you should approach any future procedure.

I went back to Dr. Nader and had additional 4,250 placed, to crown and front area over period of 2 days..  The first 3700 grafts placed 2.5 years ago all grew, but my pre-graft "natural" hair thinned out.  Not only did I not use finasteride, I actually used testosterone boosters, which sped up my natural balding.  I also did not use biotin and minoxidil regularly...more like sporadically.   

I am still very impressed with Dr. Nader, his professionalism, his office, his staff, how comfortable he makes you feel.  He even upgraded the extraction pen for more efficiency and better technique.   I slept through half of extraction procedure and listened to music.  Then I had delicious lunch, then during the implantation (seeding) stage, I sat in a comfortable recliner, watching YouTube and movies on a big screen tv. 

I will try my best to post pics 6, 12, 18, and 24 months out.

If I will continue to bald naturally, I will go back again in maybe 5 years to do a 3rd one with Dr. Nader.  I wish him all of the best, he's a great guy.

20181020_105550.jpeg

20181020_110301_1540061811253.jpeg

Resized_20181020_105954.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That's a nice amount of grafts and should make a big difference. Grow well.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.