Just Had Eyebrow Transplantation - Questions

I am new to this forum and just had an eyebrow transplant done a month ago.  My brows were basically non-existent.  I had FUE done, 250 grafts in each brow.  Your story is very enlightening for me.  I see your procedure was done 3 years ago.  How are your eyebrows now??  I am in the shedding phase; I'd say 80-90% have shed, and have a lot of pinkness on my skin. (Some bumps and slight pitting too.) I have a fair complexion and have sensitive skin.  I know I need to be patient but gosh, this is on the FACE and it's very disturbing for me.  I would love to know if you are happy with your eyebrows now.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, browless said:

I am new to this forum and just had an eyebrow transplant done a month ago.  My brows were basically non-existent.  I had FUE done, 250 grafts in each brow.  Your story is very enlightening for me.  I see your procedure was done 3 years ago.  How are your eyebrows now??  I am in the shedding phase; I'd say 80-90% have shed, and have a lot of pinkness on my skin. (Some bumps and slight pitting too.) I have a fair complexion and have sensitive skin.  I know I need to be patient but gosh, this is on the FACE and it's very disturbing for me.  I would love to know if you are happy with your eyebrows now.  Thanks!

If you have bumps and pitting, keep an eye on it until month 6.   See if it goes away as it should by then.  No doubt it is stressful as it is on the face.  Redness should also clear.  For the hairs that have shed, are those all transplanted hairs?  

Good luck, i know this can be very stressful.  But by 6 month if there is minimal improvement, email your surgeon.  I would highly recommend documenting and taking photos.   Best of luck.

Thank you for such a quick reply!

Yes, all hairs that have shed are transplanted ones.  I may have lost a few "natural" ones too, but there really weren't many natural hairs AT ALL, so it's hard to tell.  I've been in touch with my surgeon and have sent photos each week to ensure progress is normal.  Surgeon has been awesome, responding immediately and answering all my questions.  He reassured me that everything is normal, and on track.  I trust him.  It's just hard to deal with because this is on the face and you can't really hide it.  Plus, until the hairs start to grow back, there is the anxiety of being that one patient who for some odd reason, doesn't get any grafts that survive.  Unless you've suffered without eyebrows and have had to painstakingly draw them on every single day for the past 20 years, nobody would understand this angst. 

• Like 1

Browess,

Welcome to our hair restoration discussion forum. I understand what it’s like to be frustrated and discouraged  while you are waiting for your results to grow in. But like you said, you are only one month postop from your eyebrow hair transplant procedure and you need to be patient.   I know that’s easier said than done, but this is what we all go through with hair transplants. I know this is on your face and not your scalp so you can’t conceal it with a hat,  thought maybe some of our members can help you come up with something to eat or conceal it or come up with a story as to why your eyebrows may look like that for now. 

Best Wishes,

Bill

I am using brow powder, as suggested by my surgeon, and it definitely helps.  You mentioned something to "eat" in your previous response to me....was that a typo? Or is there some type of food that expedites hair growth?   I am female, 53 years old.  Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Thank you. I'm not quite three weeks post op and I'm in that dreaded shedding phase. Most of mine have shed and I believe I've had some shock loss as well. Contrary to what I was told, the procedure HAS lightened my microblading to where it has faded significantly. I feel your pain. I'm very self conscious.

How are yours doing?

Better! I’m roughly 3.5 months post-transplant and they have finally sprouted new growth. The pinkness is minimal now and the bumps are pretty much gone. The new growth is somewhat sporadic so I dare not go without the brow powder. It’s easier for me to apply the powder because at least I can see a template now, whereas before the procedure I was drawing them on blindly without a single hair.  I do hope they thicken A LOT. I’m hopeful and progress has certainly been made. Have trimmed a few that were the front-runners but haven’t had enough growth for a full “cut” yet. I’m happy with the angle they are coming in too. Most are flush as opposed to growing straight out like I’ve seen in some photos of other people. Good luck to you! 

Just a thought - why not wear glasses even if they are just clear lenses, or wear sunglasses when outside.  I have pretty thick eyebrows, but with glasses on you can barely see them - I just tried my regular and sunglasses in the mirror.  Actually with the sunglasses you can't see them at all.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Honestly, other than cosmetics, there is not much more you can do but wait it out because as you get 6 months post-op or more, you will see a huge improvement.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY