Jump to content
made2care

How do I go back to work ?! Holy crap !

Recommended Posts

Okay, so I have a long journey ahead of me. 2500 grafts frontal and some of mid region almost a month ago. I go back to work in 2 weeks . I have had quite a bit of shock loss with native hairs and my recipient site is quite pink. Any ideas on how to "hide" this area until the new hairs start growing. I have heard of hair fiber strands but not sure if it will work. Wig??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to assume a wig could damage the grafts. Do you usually wear caps? Don't know if your co-workers will be suspicious why you're suddenly wearing a cap all the time. 

 

You are willing to put your face on here, maybe you could shave your head and just let people know you had surgery? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, newpatient99 said:

I'm going to assume a wig could damage the grafts. Do you usually wear caps? Don't know if your co-workers will be suspicious why you're suddenly wearing a cap all the time. 

 

You are willing to put your face on here, maybe you could shave your head and just let people know you had surgery? 

Dress code will not allow caps. I'm not going to shave my head either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've read, the grafts are set 10 days post op. My grafts hairs are already shedding so I think a weave of some kind might have to be the route to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, made2care said:

Dress code will not allow caps. I'm not going to shave my head either!

That's unfortunate. I actually confided in my boss about the surgery and my insecurity and he let me wear a cap to work until I was able to grow my bangs out to cover it (I had 2000 grafts just to fill in my receding hairline). I've always worn caps so no one really questioned it. 

Edited by newpatient99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, made2care said:

From what I've read, the grafts are set 10 days post op. My grafts hairs are already shedding so I think a weave of some kind might have to be the route to go.

Good luck man. The only thing worse than balding is getting caught wearing a wig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah i was gonna say... nothing like being discrete and wearing fake hair not anywhere close to what your hair was like before lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

yeah i was gonna say... nothing like being discrete and wearing fake hair not anywhere close to what your hair was like before lol

Okay, let me "shed" some more info . Prior to the surgery, I did have some hair in the recipient site. Now, instead of that I have no hair and scalp redness. I sure the heck wasn't going to get an elaborate wig which would be very noticeable. Just thinking of a slight weave of sorts connected to my high sides. My hair is medium curly, so it should blend right in. Other option is to comb the sides, and top rear into a trumplike swirl, nobody would notice that :)

i will figure this out but no, I'm not opting for a ridiculous wig. I meant to say weave in the topic line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of a weave after surgery. You may be surprised what s little doc could do, but I'd stay away from anything else. Shock is a major bummer. Any pre op pics?


I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing you can really do is try to comb your hair in a way that covers most of it without trying to comb it too ridiculously that it's obvious that you're doing that. You may also then be able to use some hair fibers or powder to add a bit of density if you have enough hair to do that with. Hopefully the redness will fade a lot in the next two weeks, so it won't be so bad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

buzz your head weekly for 3 months, then watch it all grow back together, rather than suffer the ugly duck stage. tell your colleagues what you have had done. be honest and genuine, thats my advice. good luck made2care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made2care,

if you are at least 10 days post ok, maybe you can consider trying some concealer such as DermMatch, Toppik, etc.   these concealers can be applied thick or thin and recreate an appearance of hair that suits what you are going for.  I suggest learning more about concealers which I believe may be your best bet here.  

Best wishes,

Bill 


I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and the Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

FUT or FUE? I assume the first, that is why you wanna keep the hair long, right?

FUT , yes you are correct. Actually the Doc went back and needed more grafts and made an additional incision on my left side. His suturing was amazing, can hardly tell but it's still red from it being just 3 1/2 weeks post op.

i hear long hair with perms are coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Made2care,

if you are at least 10 days post ok, maybe you can consider trying some concealer such as DermMatch, Toppik, etc.   these concealers can be applied thick or thin and recreate an appearance of hair that suits what you are going for.  I suggest learning more about concealers which I believe may be your best bet here.  

Best wishes,

Bill 

I think you are correct here and another member mentioned styling in a way that's not too noticeable. In 3 days I will be at 1 month post op , so I don't think the hair fibers will cause issues in the recipient site. I will definitely research the hair concealer. 

Thanks for everyone's concern and suggestions. I will take a pic the morning I go back to work and see what you think. 

Cant wait for my new hair to start growing. Patience, lots of patience.

since I'm on here, here is a current pic. I am no combing what little hair I have left forward. I believe if I sprinkle some hair fibers in there and spray with hair spray, it just might work. 

Man, I wish I could have had the crown area done as well but I will have to wait. These procedure's are expensive!!

chow for now

IMG_2355.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For your situation I think Dermmatch may work better, because it will conceal the redness on the scalp. But if I were you I would buy both and try both to compare how they look, that way you're prepared to go in to the office on Monday. Congrats on your recent procedure.



Co-Moderator Editorial Assistant

I do not provide medical advice, you should always seek medical advice from a doctor or qualified healthcare provider. My responses are my opinion.

My first thread

Hairline Procedure with Dr. Diep

My updated thread

Crown Procedure with Dr. Diep

View my patient website

Patient website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

For your situation I think Dermmatch may work better, because it will conceal the redness on the scalp. But if I were you I would buy both and try both to compare how they look, that way you're prepared to go in to the office on Monday. Congrats on your recent procedure.

Okay, will do and thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, made2care said:

I think you are correct here and another member mentioned styling in a way that's not too noticeable. In 3 days I will be at 1 month post op , so I don't think the hair fibers will cause issues in the recipient site. I will definitely research the hair concealer. 

Thanks for everyone's concern and suggestions. I will take a pic the morning I go back to work and see what you think. 

Cant wait for my new hair to start growing. Patience, lots of patience.

since I'm on here, here is a current pic. I am no combing what little hair I have left forward. I believe if I sprinkle some hair fibers in there and spray with hair spray, it just might work. 

Man, I wish I could have had the crown area done as well but I will have to wait. These procedure's are expensive!!

chow for now

IMG_2355.JPG

I understand what it’s like to want to get everything done all at once. Believe me, I would have less hair on the top of my scalp than you did in the beginning if I never had any hair transplant surgery. In fact, I wouldn’t have any hair on top of my head. Of course, I had an exceptional donor hair supply and I was able to get 9600 grafts over four hair transplant procedures.   However, not everybody needs that many and results can still look terrific even with a much reduced number… Just depends largely on hair characteristics hand placement, etc. 

 I’m sure your results will turn out great and then you can always go for subsequent procedures  to add coverage and density. 

 But for now, while you wait for the first hair transplant to grow, you can always use concealer at work which will likely help camouflage the fact that you had hair transplant work done. 

Best wishes,

Bill

 


I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and the Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the most recent photo, I think you should be able to get away with concealing this just fine. You have enough hair there to work with, so you’re gonna have a much easier time being discreet than a lot of us. I buzzed mine so it was either a hat or nothing for me. (As a side note, you’d be surprised at how many bosses/companies will bend the dress code rules if you confide in them... and then just fend off any questions anyone asks as to why you’re wearing a hat.) The only other option is to just be upfront about it, but I know that’s much easier said than done - though speaking from personal experience, people really won’t give it a second thought and will most likely just be intrigued by the whole thing. 


I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

 

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14

2,001 grafts

Ones: 607

Twos: 925

Threes: 413

Fours: 56

1.25 mg Finasteride daily since July 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could simply say you had a medical issue and they needed to cut/shave your hair for treatment. The less you say the better IMHO. Believe me, nobody else really cares about your scalp or hair like you do. The less of a deal you make of it the less of a deal they will make of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, made2care said:

From what I've read, the grafts are set 10 days post op. My grafts hairs are already shedding so I think a weave of some kind might have to be the route to go.

😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think once you dabble into the psychological aspect of our ht journeys it's obvious to state that many variables play into each other. One can even object or agree to the " looking glass self theory "to some extent in an attempt to understand the dynamics behind our emotions.

i agree that most people will not even notice the changes at this point and with that being said, I can fly under the radar for a few months until the grafts grow.

i guess I just became somewhat paranoid but I'm better now. 

I work inside all day so all is good. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s summer...use a little dermatch and if anyone asks you had an allergic reaction or sunburn...they won’t ask again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×