FUE 2700 Grafts (want your opinion)

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have spent the last few hours reading over some great info on this site. It inspired me to share my story and progress with you guys and hopefully get some feedback. I am 5 months and 3 weeks out from a 2700 graft FUE  transplant. For now, I prefer to keep the name of the doctor and the clinic to myself. The transplant was done in Toronto. I received about 2200 grafts in the frontal part of my head and about 500 or so in the crown. The 500 in the crown was not enough to fill in the thinning areas but it was just to get some sort of cosmetic improvement until I can have a second procedure  in late 2019 after I get married.

I think the main reason why I have decided to share this is because I am at that stage where I am beginning to panic that my transplant was either a failure or the density sucks. From what I have read, 5 months and 3 weeks is still way too early to make any sort of judgement. I would appreciate some feedback from you guys on what you see. 

My photos are kind of out of order but as you can see from the pre-op photo, I had a pretty crappy hairline. I have 2 photos of my front and crown area before the scabs began to fall off and the remainder of the photos are after most of the scabbing had come off and the hair still had not shed yet. 

20180126_144613.jpg

20180203_133144.jpg

20180206_193555.jpg

20180216_070816.jpg

20180203_133152.jpg

20180201_105828.jpg

20180201_105813.jpg

20180215_144400.jpg

Now are some photos taken last week. So these are approximately 5 months and 2 weeks from the date of the surgery. Would love to get some opinions on my pics.  Should I be worried or do I really need to chill and remind myself I'm still very early in the process. Because after the surgery, before the hair shed, I was so happy with what I saw. 

IMG_20180711_1911425.jpg

IMG_20180711_1911400.jpg

IMG_20180711_1911453.jpg

IMG_20180711_1911250.jpg

IMG_20180711_1911489.jpg

IMG_20180711_1911169.jpg

IMG_20180711_1911196.jpg

• Administrators

It is very early in fact, the photos show that you indeed have growth, at this point that is really all you can ask for, it is a waiting game and everyone grows at different rates. You are I would say bang average in terms of where you should be at, there are freaks of nature that grow from two months and by 5 months all of the grafts have grown in, but like I said those are freaks of nature and the majority of guys should never expect to see that much growth by 5 months.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Don't evaluate the end result before six months because I have seen who start showing their full density after months 6 to 8 at times.   

I cannot make a comment about what density you should expect. It all has to do with the technique. Usually after hair transplant the hair starts to grow in after 3-5 months and will continue for up to 18 months. Usually at seven months we see about 50 percent growth, and about ten percent growth each month after that.

3 minutes ago, Rawkerboi said:

Don't evaluate the end result before six months because I have seen who start showing their full density after months 6 to 8 at times.   

I cannot make a comment about what density you should expect. It all has to do with the technique. Usually after hair transplant the hair starts to grow in after 3-5 months and will continue for up to 18 months. Usually at seven months we see about 50 percent growth, and about ten percent growth each month after that.

In my opinion—Well the initial graft placement looks refined.  By the time 8 month is done, you should be completing new graft growth stage.  That is for distinct growth.  Rest of the months ahead will probably be more like maturing.  

Hope you get what you seek when this is done.  Best of luck.  

Edited by Sean

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to post an update to this thread. I am currently 7 months and 2 weeks into my transplant and I am getting nervous that I had a bad transplant. I want to continue to leave the doctors name out of this discussion for now just in case he reads these forums. I am going to see him next week to discuss my situation. I am very unhappy right now with where I am at this far into my recovery. One side is still significantly thicker than the other. 

For whatever reason, the exposure on my camera makes things look a little worst than they look in person but you should be able to get the idea. 

I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Am I worrying too much or should I be a lot further along at 7 months and 2 weeks. Has anyone else experienced thicker density on one side than the other? What would you guys do if you were in my shoes. I think it looks horrible right now and its very depressing. I don't understand because before the hair shed when it was transplanted, I was thrilled with what I saw

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

• Administrators

7 months is still early, if things don’t change at 12 then that’s when you should be alarmed. 

In the meantime, start consulting with doctors to gather their opinion on the matter.

Pre-screened physicians list

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I know it is still early but when I look back at my progress photos there hasn't been a whole lot of change. If anything the hair has just gotten longer. But I will remain patient and talk to my doctor in the meantime. After I speak with him I will release his name.

BigMike, my honest feedback is not sure how it will turn out.  You are 7 months and 2 weeks and rightfully concerned.  I really hope you get enough density to cater to your goals.  Obviously, most folks that get into this type of surgery would like to have no eyes wander and look at our scalp or folks question our hair.  We pay thousands to get a distinct cosmetic change that we are shown online and also provided by doctor reps.  I am really hoping the next 3 months will give you growth to fill in areas of concern.  If not, hopefully your doctor will understand and assist.  Best wishes.

I don’t understand why we have to pretend there’s hope for this poor guy following 7 months. Yes, there may be additional growth and thickening. Will it be satisfactory? Absolutely not. Let’s please stop with the sunshine pumping and be real with people so they can address the issue sooner than later. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

100% what Pelo said. No one who has 10-15% growth like this at 7.5 months ends up with even a remotely acceptable results. Blows my mind you presumably live in Canada and opted for a clinic other than Hasson/Wong. Surgery with a lack of basic research is never a good idea.

The "thicker" side barely looks like 15% growth either by the way. You would certainly be fair to expect more from modern hair transplants. I'd recommend consulting Rahal and Hasson/Wong right now if you live in Canada. You'd be a world first if this turned into an acceptable result and are very likely to need repair work down the track so ought to start researching.

Edited by JeanLDD
  • Like 2

100% what Pelo said. No one who has 10-15% growth like this at 7.5 months ends up with even a remotely acceptable results. Blows my mind you presumably live in Canada and opted for a clinic other than Hasson/Wong. Surgery with a lack of basic research is never a good idea.

The "thicker" side barely looks like 15% growth either by the way. You would certainly be fair to expect more from modern hair transplants. I'd recommend consulting Rahal and Hasson/Wong right now if you live in Canada. You'd be a world first if this turned into an acceptable result and are very likely to need repair work down the track so ought to start researching.

Hold on a second, what makes you think I did not do any research? How do you not know that I don't personally know a few people that have been to this doctor with excellent results. Don't assume something you could not possibly know. I did my research for 2 years before I pulled the trigger and went ahead with the transplant.

16 minutes ago, bigmike84 said:

Hold on a second, what makes you think I did not do any research? How do you not know that I don't personally know a few people that have been to this doctor with excellent results. Don't assume something you could not possibly know. I did my research for 2 years before I pulled the trigger and went ahead with the transplant.

I think its fair to say if you had surgery in Toronto and it wasn't with Hasson/Wong then you didn't do enough research. Take it from someone who has looked broadly at all the major forums and organisations for top surgeons, particularly if you're in Toronto 99.99% of experts on the matter and and knowledgeable members of transplant related forums are going to be screaming to choose HnW in that circumstance. A lot of mediocre clinics have some good results, the question is how consistently they occur. 

Don't take it personally, if you think I'm being harsh, I would seriously recommend you raise this question of who to consult in Canada, particularly Toronto on this and other transplant related forums + with various knowledgeable people on the subject, I guarantee the same will be said as what I'm telling you. 

Not shilling for the clinic either, some other options worth looking into being Rahal (also Canada) , Konior, Freitas, and Baubac for example.

Edited by JeanLDD

Hey bigmike84, 

I know you don't want to hear this man - but looks like a failure in my opinion. Sadly we are seeing more of this, mainly due to part-time hair transplant docs. There are a lot of them in Toronto.

Yes it's too early to judge the "final" result. But there are things to look for. 

Keep in mind that you can fix this. But that doesn't mean jumping into the chair again.

You can either get a second HT to increase the density and coverage. Or say screw it and shave your head. You can smp your fue scars and laser skin resurface the recipient area, plus dermaroller.

Both are options man. Just keep that in mind.

I actually shaved my head and lasered the pluggy grafts after my failed HT. You can look like you did prior and put this behind you. I'm proof. In the end, I decided to get another HT years later though.

If the clinic is decent, they will refund you. It's the right thing to do. 

Ask me any questions man. Private PM or here. I've been in your shoes and happy to share my experience. 

Edited by HairLossMentor
  • Like 1

Big Mike,  there are careful considerations when trying to get repaired.  Scar tissue can cause even more issues.  You have to look for expert repair surgeon who can safely implant with skill to prevent ridging and cobblestoning.  At this point, i would definitely let the area heal as much as it can for at least 12 months.  This is hopefully to reduce further detrimental scar tissue and to let the area heal before if you do anything again. Has the doctor who did the procedure give any feedback or assurance?  Tools do matter too, so definitely think about that.  Definitely something to think about and feel free to PM if you’d like.  I really hope you get things sorted and hope you still have more growth.  It is definitely not easy and I hope the doctor who did the procedure stands by your side by the 12 month mark and does not drag this on beyond 18 months.  Best wishes.

• Like 1

So sorry this doesn't seem to be going how we all want it to end. That's a big let down.

But there is hope for rectifying it with reputable repair docs, your short list for FUE repair should be: Gabel, Konior, Hasson &Wong in no particular order, all are outstanding.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

16 minutes ago, Speegs said:

So sorry this doesn't seem to be going how we all want it to end. That's a big let down.

But there is hope for rectifying it with reputable repair docs, your short list for FUE repair should be: Gabel, Konior, Hasson &Wong in no particular order, all are outstanding.

Would you add Cooley to that short list?

I’m so sorry that the HT did not go as expected  You’re getting lots of good advice on this network.  Wait until a year out and start looking for another FUE doctor(s) for consultations.  I hope you have the resources and donor area to get another surgery.  My first surgery went very well and I had a second surgery (2,000 grafts) in the same frontal area and it also went very well.  Best of luck and keep us posted.  

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It's not looking good IMO. I have seen nice improvements after 7 months, but it is very rare to see something that goes from pretty bad to pretty good after 7.5 months. 

You'll need to wait a few months, and if you are interested, start looking at high end docs.  This is salvageable definitely, it's just not good IMO. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 4:34 PM, Kiwi Guy said:

Hi Mike, can you please share who the surgeon/ clinic was so that another unsuspecting HT researcher such as myself can avoid this clinic?

Seconded. Would love to know because that is a pluggy look.