Bicycling after FUT

I am an avid cyclist and getting regular exercise is especially important for me since I suffer from type II diabetes.   Tomorrow I will be 10 days post FUT and want to understand if cycling is likely to create issues with the donor scar.   I will , of course, carefully consider my docs advice, but I was curious if others have experiences with this.   Cycling requires the rider to (mostly) raise their head, which I guess would release tension in the area around the donor scar, rather than increase it.  

Thanks for your insights!

I guess it's all a matter of how the individual rides and also the type of bike used.

Some bikes such as the 10 speed hold the rider in such a position as to lower the front part of the body in a downward position towards the front wheel.  This would not be well advised especially in the first several weeks following the procedure.  Mountain bikes on the other hand position the rider in a more upright position.

Either way, it is best advised to get your surgeon's advice on this as he/she may not advocate riding at all for a defined period of time post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you for your reply.   I spoke with my doc after day 10.   He was ok with riding, but wanted to make sure the helmet was clean and thought it would be a good idea to wear a cap under the helmet.   I will do that, since I don’t need the helmet’s retaining system to rub against the donor scar and it will provide sun protection.   

Honestly, I was a little surprised since my doc has a reputation for being conservative. Now, to avoid crashing!

Ride on!....;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

I visited New York 5 days after my last FUE, I rode the entire Central Park on day 7, no effect whatsoever on my results. I rode with a lose hat no helmet. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I hear you.  My issue is the donor scar as I did FUT.   I will put a cap on under the helmet to prevent rubbing against the incision site.

Also, having a past experience where a helmet 100% saved me from severe trauma or possibly death, I will never ride without one.   It’s amazing how hard you can smash your head into the pavement with a helmet on and be ok.