Whey protein and hair loss

Hey,

I’m a couple of months post op, after having FUE, and I’ve been on fin for a number of years.

ive been searching these forums to see if there is any info on using whey protein and hair loss. The previous posts I’ve read seem to be a little dated, so I’m wondering if research or forum members’ experience has moved on in any way. 

Does anyone know if there is a correlation between hair loss and whey protein?

thanks 

• Administrators

Nope, whey protein is just a protein it is a necessary macro nutrient, it does not alter your hormones at all. Therefore, it does not impact hairloss. There are a few surgeons that try and sell their own proteins and thus will say it can impact hair loss. But I’ve been taking it since my first procedure 4.5 years ago and no changes what so ever. With that said, if you don’t want to risk it you an take veggie protein. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree...no correlation at all...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

Keep us in the loop as to how everything turns out for you...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

Whey may not contribute to hair loss, but I don't think it's the best option when it comes to protein powders. I've found that plant based ones are much easier for me to digest (Not that you asked.... ?)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Whey protein is unusual topic. It depends on what type of formulation since not all whey is the same.  Some has additives that can be detrimental as in Testosterone increasing elements.  High amounts of L-Arginine / Ornithine , Zinc etc and anything that can stimulate the balls can be an issue.  Also, some proteins even have creatine and so forth. A very knowledgeable person informed me that US sold protein is derived from cattle that may be treated with antibiotics (and hormones).  Canadian and New Zealand sold protein  has strict regulations (it makes such actions illegal) so it does not have such issues.  

I have been doing some research as well. Study findings seem to indicate that pattern hair loss is more about how sensitive someone is to DHT rather than how much testosterone is converted into DHT.” - https://www.belgraviacentre.com/blog/are-high-testosterone-levels-and-male-hair-loss-linked/

My question is if you are on finasteride and minoxidil after a hair transplant, will taking whey protein have any effect on the results? 

This is what i used to use before the hair transplant but haven't been taking any since. 

http://www.gnc.com/protein_fitness/386359.html?productId=41785886