One Day Post Op - Hairline Touch Up

Hi all,

I have flew overseas and completed my procedure yesterday but when i came back to the hotel after the procedure, I noticed that the right side of my hairline is noticeably higher.  I brought this up with the doc this morning and he advised that it is higher due to swelling and also that nothing can be at this point because more hairline work will increase the chances of swelling and bleeding. 

I am here for two more days until I fly back home, do you think I should push the doc to even out the right side?  I don't want to run too much risk to the work thats already been done, but I would be thrilled to have this fixed and complete my journey for now.  I figure it shouldn't be more than 100 to 150 grafts to the right side.  I have attached pics, all advice is greatly appreciated!

Edited by jg23
Pictures removed

Thank you for the response.  I really want to push for the doc to do this but at the same time don't want make things worse.  Any other suggestions?

A little asymmetry can sometimes give a more natural appearance . There is also a good chance that you will want some additional grafting in the future to increase density and a adjustment could be done at that time also. However , if you think this is going to drive you crazy then insist that the doctor address the situation.

• Like 1

I definitely agree that one side seems higher than the other and could see how that could drive you crazy. The biggest concern is that the doctor seems to be saying that it would put existing grafts at risk? I don't see how that's the case, as people do two-day procedures all the time when they require more grafts than can be done in a single day. I also don't see how the swelling alone could cause such a different visual appearance in the height/placement of the hairline. 

As Dr. Charles said, a little asymmetry can be a good thing, as you don't want anything to be too "perfect". Not only that, but even doing a couple hundred extra grafts is going to be quite the ordeal for you (going back under, etc.), but if you're really not satisfied with this, I think you should really push for the doctor to at least discuss this more with you and see if there's something you two can work out. Ultimately, you're right in that if you're going to have to address this at some point, you might as well get it over with. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thank you all for you insight, advice and guidance.  I do feel more at ease with the feedback received.

I definately can see how a little asymmetry can give a more natural appearance/result. No one has a perfectly straight hairline and we all have seen the unnatural looking results of those. But mine feels too asymmetrical to me.

Right now with the head shaved the asymmetry is quite pronounced and noticeable, do you guys think that when the hair starts growing in 6 to 8 months it will just look more natural and not as pronounced?  When the hair gets long on the on the right side will it give the illusion of being slightly lower?

I'm on day 2 post OP now and flying back home in exactly two days. I'm a little uneasy about having more work done if its gonna be a huge ordeal as pkipling mentioned. I figure if I do decide to add the grafts it shouldn't take the doc too long and I probably don't need to go through everything that we did for the whole large procedure.  Will adding 150 grafts to that small region be a big deal?

I'll be flying a long haul flight  back home of 14 hours and am gonna get this sorted before I leave.

Once ur hair grows u wont notice it as much ..

but dude u overseas , it’s a lot cheaper there .. u can afford the extra cost tell the doctor u want to spend more money n u want it done .. when u not satisfied u not going to be happy with the transplant .. in ur eyes it’s not how u want it .. n since u still there , might as well get it done .. yeah it sux to have to go through another surgery no matter how small .. but hey this is ur moment , u paid good money n u traveled really far for this .. n yes it is a bit higher .. on one side n u will probably notice it if u comb ur back or cut it short .. n u will always regret not doing it now, because everytime u look in the mirror u will notice it .. others won’t, but u will .. 

Edited by Legend007

27 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Once ur hair grows u wont notice it as much ..

but dude u overseas , it’s a lot cheaper there .. u can afford the extra cost tell the doctor u want to spend more money n u want it done .. when u not satisfied u not going to be happy with the transplant .. in ur eyes it’s not how u want it .. n since u still there , might as well get it done .. yeah it sux to have to go through another surgery no matter how small .. but hey this is ur moment , u paid good money n u traveled really far for this .. n yes it is a bit higher .. on one side n u will probably notice it if u comb ur back or cut it short .. n u will always regret not doing it now, because everytime u look in the mirror u will notice it .. others won’t, but u will .. 

I agree with you.  I'm going to push the doc on this when I go for my washing in a few hours.  

I'm not worried about the procedure for the extra 150ish grafts or so, I'm more worried about it being closer to my flight, post op care etc.  But how much swelling/care will be needed for a small 150 grafts?  I'm not a doctor but I would imagine 150 grafts shouldn't cause me too much pain or inconvenience with anything or my flight.

• Moderators

I think you run the risk of making it look worse. If you have some swelling right now that could be making it more pronounced than it really is. If you add some grafts on the one side to even it out, then what happens when the swelling goes down in a few days? You could end up with it not looking right and even being lower than the other side. I say leave it alone for now and wait for it to grow and reassess. You can always get more later.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey man! What'd you decide? Whatever you ended up doing, I hope you're happy with the decision. :) I think you were leaning towards getting the extra grafts, and if so, did it even thing out the way you wanted?

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

At this point in time you must have traveled back home.

If you did have the extra grafts done...kudos!

If not, and you still are not satisfied, is it possible for you to have another good surgeon add the small extra FUE grafts where you would not have to travel so far?

Your question about growing your hair to cover the difference will depend on how long you wear your hair length.  Having said that, it should not be a problem by wearing your hair to an adequate length to balance out the small visual discrepancy.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi Guys,

I want to thank you all for you feedback on this. I did end up getting this one side fixed before I left to go back home.  The doc was very understanding when I approached him again and did the minor adjustment right away.  See the pic below for before and the after pu the adjustment done.    

For those who are interested, you can follow my journey here:  

2018-08-21_23.14.45.jpg

• Haha 1

Hehehe , good for u bro.. I can tell by ur tone u are happy with it .. glad u went n got them extra grafts to make u feel satisfied .. u would of regretted it so much n would of been unhappy on ur overall experience, not Getting them extra few grafts would of put u on the road of a feeling regrettable .. . n good job on doctor Bhatti to provide the extra care n customer service to satisfy ur needs .. it’s usually the little things that the clinic does , that makes them a top clinic .. 

I agree...and a nice improvement....;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Yes! Glad you listened to your gut and got this fixed before you came back home. Definite improvement. Happy growing! 

• Moderators

I originally gave my opinion to hold off due to possibly making the hairline worse if the Dr tried to fix it while you had swelling, but it looks like it may have been a good decision for you to get it done. Good luck with the growing!

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Please share the end result with us once the procedure has fully matured.

Gillenator