Different growth depending on how many hairs in graft?

Hi,

so i have been quite worried about my growth so far as it looks extremely sparse in the front. Im still early (17 weeks) in my HT so i am not panicking (too much) quite yet. I figure it is looking like this because the doubles and tripples have not come out yet as i can only find a few doubles in the front and zero tripples using a magnifying mirror as well as high resolution photos.

I asked the clinic about this and their response was that multi-hair grafts have slower growth cycles than singles, but i can't find a source on this online and in the link below concensus is that this is not the case?

I know that grafts have different growth cycles, but why can't i seem to find any tripples and very few doubles in my recipient? Do these grafts receive more trauma due to harder handling than singles?

Surely if all grafts have different growth cycles, but not based on hair/graft, i should technically see a uniform distribution of singles, doubles and tripples in my recipient right now?

https://www.realself.com/question/los-angeles-ca-double-triple-hair-transplanted-grafts-grow-slower-singles

IMHO, it is not that the grafts have varying growth cycles, it is the hair follicles themselves that have their own independent growth cycles regardless if the grafts are singles, doubles, etc.

Now it could be that you did not have lots of triple hair FUs...that's something to ask your surgeon.

The surgery team is supposed to chart the grafts and their placement regarding the sizes of the grafts, where they were placed in the recipient zone, and how many total grafts were placed.

Did they supply you that information?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

9 minutes ago, gillenator said:

IMHO, it is not that the grafts have varying growth cycles, it is the hair follicles themselves that have their own independent growth cycles regardless if the grafts are singles, doubles, etc.

Now it could be that you did not have lots of triple hair FUs...that's something to ask your surgeon.

The surgery team is supposed to chart the grafts and their placement regarding the sizes of the grafts, where they were placed in the recipient zone, and how many total grafts were placed.

Did they supply you that information?

Only how many grafts were extracted, nothing about how many were placed or where, but i definitely wish i had that information, especially placement of the grafts.

You should be able to get a breakdown of how many 1, 2 and 3 hair follicular units you received. I have never seen any studies that show multi hair follicular unit grow slower than single hair follicular units. However, it is also possible that not all the follicles in a particular follicular unit all start growing at the same time . Keep in ming 17 weeks is way to early to determine the success of a hair transplant procedure.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, Payam said:

Only how many grafts were extracted, nothing about how many were placed or where, but i definitely wish i had that information, especially placement of the grafts.

Yes, they did but I had to use persistence with several of my procedures.  If the clinic cannot inform you of where the grafts were placed, that's not a good sign...they are supposed to chart this information...after all, it is critical to know especially for subsequent procedures. as well as monitoring yields on every procedure.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

2 hours ago, gillenator said:

Yes, they did but I had to use persistence with several of my procedures.  If the clinic cannot inform you of where the grafts were placed, that's not a good sign...they are supposed to chart this information...after all, it is critical to know especially for subsequent procedures. as well as monitoring yields on every procedure.

I will ask but i doubt it, I'm seeing a lot of doubles in the very front of my hairline as well as a single triple which stands out like a sore thumb, is it standard procedure to chart grafts?

Yes, it is supposed to be standard procedure but whether certain clinics follow that protocol is another story.

Gillenator