5000 hair implants needed

Hello everyone
My story is like that
I am 43 years old with hair loss from the age of 24 + _
I waited a long time until I decided to do a hair transplant
I followed the forum to a number of doctors in Turkey
The answers I received are varied
Overall - 5000 hair implants needed
My question is who underwent the transplant? Is there a need to take drugs like Propecia? I do not use today and I do not want to take it after the surgery
I'm a little confused and do not know which surgeon to choose, I'd be happy if you can help me to choose
And is it reasonable for me to be offered such a transplant in one day? Because there are doctors who told me it should be done in 2 treatments

Edited by goli

Hi,

Can you please post some photos, it will help get you a more accurate response.

Do you mean 5000 hairs or grafts, again photos will help. A 5000 graft procedure will most likely be done over 2 days, a 5000 hair procedure (approx. 2500 grafts) can be done in a day. This really depends upon the skill of the surgeon and the team.

Do you need to take drugs? Most doctors will recommend Finasteride and Minoxidil for at least the first 6 months. Again photo's will determine whether you should at least consider taking Finasteride for longer.

Thanks for the pics, it looks like ideally you will need up to 5000 grafts to cover your crown and your mid-scalp. You have extensive balding and you should consider Finasteride to help slow down or perhaps even recover somewhat from your aggressive balding.

As for the 5000 grafts surgery in one day, I don't think your donor area at the back of your head will give you that much without over harvesting which will likely result in a visibly very thin donor area and likely scarring.

If you have body hair (beard and chest) you should consider using this behind the hairline in the mid scalp alongside scalp grafts to compensate for the lack of scalp grafts.

I would recommend you go on Finasteride for at least 6 months (up to a year) prior to any procedure. Looking at you now I would recommend a two surgery approach with upto a year between surgeries. In the first surgery you can address the frontal two thirds of your scalp using approx 2500-3000 scalp and 500 body grafts. In the second surgery you can top up the first surgery implanted area and address your crown with approximately 2000 scalp grafts subject to availability.

Edited by Shera

8 minutes ago, goli said:

Hi 

Thank you for your help 

If I do not want to use Propecia or Finasteride
What about using SAW Palmetto instead? 

Propecia and Finasteride is the same, I think you meant Minoxidil and Finasteride.

You could try using Saw Palmetto, but I used it myself and it didn't work for me. It may work for you but in the meantime if it doesn't you will continue to lose hair. Do you want to take that chance?

Minoxidil and Finasteride are the only two drugs that are US FDA approved. 

When I read about the side effects of these drugs, I realized that this was a health hazard and I did not want to play with my health
If there are natural vitamin or supplements in place that can do the job then I would be happy

Goli,

I understand your concerns, but as mentioned they are the only 2 proven meds to help retain hair and slow down the balding process. Also there are thousands of hair loss sufferers the world over taking Finasteride with no issues. I suppose if you don't try it you'll never know. And once you have lost your hair, it'll be too late to get it back.

• Administrators

Finasteride and minoxidil are not requirements, but they certainly help. You still have quite a bit of hair left, especially in the hairline. Without anything, you may end up in the same position once the rest of your hair is lost. However, IMO you could use some product like toppik and have the appearance of a full head of hair so that’s an option as well. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Forget about a hair transplant.

Get temporary SMP instead.

15 times cheaper than a hair transplant.

No drugs.

No surgery.

No post-op recovery.

No pain.

No risk of.....

Infection, transection, nerve damage, shock loss, poor angulation, buried grafts, multiple sessions chasing lost hair, etc.

Edited by True

anyone knows if I'll use saw Palmetto oil  Apply on the scalp instead of Propecia or Finasteride before and after the hair transplant.

is it works and give results the same as taking those drugs to get some strength to my hair  ?

and if I need 2 Surgery of hair transplants which part of the head you recommended to start with?

Thank you very much for your help 

You'll need to strategize the best use of your donor and prioritize what is of the greatest importance to you, most likely you'll want to address the frontal thrid first because that creates the greatest cosmetic impact. Even if you have to live with a bald patch at the back, maintaining and re-establishing your frontal third will frame your face for the rest of your life.

You appear to still have a hairline, density in and behind is the issue to address.

And it is very possible the lion's share of those 5000 go in the frontal third, crowns are notorious black hole's for grafts and could take many more grafts than you anticipate or have in reserve to achieve the cosmetic difference you're looking for.

Since the hair loss is not confined to the crown it isn't the area I'd advise you address first.

The quality of your donor will need to be thoroughly examined, as one of your photos demonstrates that the hair loss is potentially eroding your donor area, an area that is commonly assumed immune to the effects of genetic male pattern baldness but that isn't always immune in some men.

If your donor is experiencing hair loss then it wouldn't be prudent to pursue a surgical solution.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016