Dr Lupanzula Consultation

Hello! I have just had a consultation with Dr. Lupanzula in London at the Pullman hotel. I found him to be very friendly, open and knowledgeable and he did not mind me asking questions. Eva, his assistant (I assume clerical and not technical), was also very efficient and friendly and was obviously experienced as she participated in the discussion(s). 

A bit about me: I am in my early-mid 30s and am approximately a Norwood 4v moving towards a Norwood 5 pattern, which is what the other men in my family that have lost their hair are. The difference is that my dad was already bald by his late 20s and my younger brother too, also in his late 20s. My other brother is a Norwood 3.5. I have been active on the forum for a while now and have been doing research for even longer. However, this year I feel is the cross roads where I either have to shave it or transplant it. I am not taking medication and I will not start. For me this is a vanity surgery and has nothing to do with emotions or self-consciousness. I just think men look better with hair but if I had to, I would have no problem shaving it (although my strong preference is to not shave it). I started to noticeably lose my hair at around 28+/-

He started by asking my expectations. Having been researching for such an extended period of time, I know not to expect an 18 year old hairline and I do not want one anyway. It would look silly in a few years. I have never really had a perfect hairline anyway, even when I was much younger so it would not be an issue. He was pleased about the fact my expectations were realistic. I told him I want to prioritise the frontal third because it frames the face and I want coverage on the crown but I am also aware that getting complete coverage will be very difficult. 

He then looked at the donor and cut a bit of my hair off in the back and the side and inspected it with a microscope. He said my hair characteristics are very good and almost perfect for the transplant. I have a density of about 100 in the whole donor area (100 at the side and just over 100 at the back). My hair is wavy and so will give good coverage. He said the width of the hair is normal (which I suppose is better than thin). He said he could extract 9,000 grafts and that this might be a bit conservative. He said with 9,000 grafts he could make a noticeable difference to a Norwood 7 so mine would be a great result. 

After inspecting my hairline and crown and measuring them he said I would need about 2,500-2,800 in the front and about 2,000 in the crown (I think, I need to confirm this). He then drew on the hairline and said the start of my hairline (front lock) was the perfect height at 7.5cm and suggested it meeting the temples at 9.5cm. The hairline he drew the first time was perfect and pretty much exactly what I had imagined. I have requested the photos to look again later. 

He suggested I take medication to preserve what I have and said it is a shame I will not. From an aesthetics point of view, he is absolutely right but I do not want to. He suggested topical fin but said there are not many studies on its efficacy but he has seen good results from it with patients. I will look into it but I am not convinced. He only does FUE and I am leaning towards FUT but will consult with the doctors on my shortlist first before making a final decision. He did say he would do FUT under exceptional circumstances and that he has not done it for a long time though. I was open about going to visit other doctors there and he said it is a good idea. I intend to pass by his clinic again once I have seen the others to see if I have further questions as I will be in Belgium next month.

I asked about his technical team. They have 13, 8 and 5 years of experience. He does the extraction and the incisions and they do the insertions although he is involved in that too.

If anybody has any questions, fire away!

• 5 months later...