Dutasteride

NEWHAIRPLEASE

5 hours ago, jjsrader said:

Sure - been using it since 2002.

You're starting late so maybe it will help your hair or stabilize it a bit more for the next 10 years.

Whats the most typical dose to start with and what are you taking after being on it for so many years ?

I have a doctor that writes me for brand-name avodart one per day www.medicalwellnesscenter.com and my insurance covers the cost.

For the other capsule I go online and buy from www.inhousepharmacy.vu (I get the brand name, not generic here as well).

1 hour ago, jjsrader said:

I have a doctor that writes me for brand-name avodart one per day www.medicalwellnesscenter.com and my insurance covers the cost.

For the other capsule I go online and buy from www.inhousepharmacy.vu (I get the brand name, not generic here as well).

Good job I like that Online Consult Only $49.95 how many refills do you get before they make you do another $49.95 Consult 

https://www.reliablerxpharmacy.com/   is another very popular and cheap  overseas pharmacy  no script needed  been using them for about 5yrs they always come through 

You get a full year - and you can get the scrip filled monthly or every 90 days (that's my preference).

So basically, for returning customers each year my consult is about $80 plus cost of them shipping me my physical prescription I take to the pharmacy.

In the 90's and early 00's I had a great primary care physician that would write me scrips for propecia & then in 2002 Avodart.  She left her practice in '08 and I'm too lazy to haggle w/a dermatologist about writing me a scrip - so I use online now.

Also, I take oral minox & oral spiro - no U.S. doctor will prescribe those at 10-20mgs daily and 100mg daily respectively, so I buy them from online pharmacies overseas.

I eventually tired of using 30% custom-compounded minox cream for my scalp after many years and before that I was using 5% minox.  So, several months ago I switched over to oral minox/oral spiro combo which is way more convenient and from the research I did for several years, the systemic effect is better than topical.

Frankly, I don't even recommend younger people have transplants or take medications - I'm 51 and been in the game so long and frankly - if you have early hairloss you eventually will lose almost all your hair regardless of the drugs.

It just slows it down over time.  Even early reversal of hairloss or halting of hairloss after 20+ years the inevitable takes over if you have family history and early hairloss going against you.

I also don't recommend transplants to younger people either, though I have had many surgeries and will have a few more in the next 2-3 years.  If I had a clean slate, so to speak I would now just let nature take over.

Good luck on your upcoming transplant.  Being older and having surgery is always way more advisable.  For the very mature younger person who knows all the pros and cons - they'll always have surgery anyways no matter what anyone says to them.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:13 AM, jjsrader said:

You get a full year - and you can get the scrip filled monthly or every 90 days (that's my preference).

So basically, for returning customers each year my consult is about $80 plus cost of them shipping me my physical prescription I take to the pharmacy.

In the 90's and early 00's I had a great primary care physician that would write me scrips for propecia & then in 2002 Avodart.  She left her practice in '08 and I'm too lazy to haggle w/a dermatologist about writing me a scrip - so I use online now.

Also, I take oral minox & oral spiro - no U.S. doctor will prescribe those at 10-20mgs daily and 100mg daily respectively, so I buy them from online pharmacies overseas.

I eventually tired of using 30% custom-compounded minox cream for my scalp after many years and before that I was using 5% minox.  So, several months ago I switched over to oral minox/oral spiro combo which is way more convenient and from the research I did for several years, the systemic effect is better than topical.

Frankly, I don't even recommend younger people have transplants or take medications - I'm 51 and been in the game so long and frankly - if you have early hairloss you eventually will lose almost all your hair regardless of the drugs.

It just slows it down over time.  Even early reversal of hairloss or halting of hairloss after 20+ years the inevitable takes over if you have family history and early hairloss going against you.

I also don't recommend transplants to younger people either, though I have had many surgeries and will have a few more in the next 2-3 years.  If I had a clean slate, so to speak I would now just let nature take over.

Good luck on your upcoming transplant.  Being older and having surgery is always way more advisable.  For the very mature younger person who knows all the pros and cons - they'll always have surgery anyways no matter what anyone says to them.

Thats really good service you lucked into I'd like to try the minox/oral spiro combo  where you getting that at ?

Hey JS good to head from u .. n great advice ..

I know u have a couple of surgeries already with good doctors .. but how come u still not satisfied with the results ? . I’m worried myself going down this surgery path n be stuck on getting hair transplants for the rest of my life .. 

How many grafts have u transplanted already ? N isn’t most of hair transplants now ? Why still so heavy on the mess ? Aren’t most ur transplanted hairs dht resistant ? 

24 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Hey JS good to head from u .. n great advice ..

I know u have a couple of surgeries already with good doctors .. but how come u still not satisfied with the results ? . I’m worried myself going down this surgery path n be stuck on getting hair transplants for the rest of my life .. 

How many grafts have u transplanted already ? N isn’t most of hair transplants now ? Why still so heavy on the mess ? Aren’t most ur transplanted hairs dht resistant ? 

Hi Legend,

I have very thin/fine hair, my entire family history (males) on mother/father side are all/were Norwood 6 & 7's, I started losing my hair around age 21 - so, the odds/genetics were never on my side.

Even when I was very young my hair was bone straight and wimpy - so it took so much work just to make it look 'full'~~

Anyways, without meds & transplants I would be a Norwood 7 by now - so I'm not satisfied w/having thinning mid-vertex and crown - but what am I going to do?

I'm at nearly 9K grafts now.  I'll have one more strip and then max out on FUE in the next 3 years and be done w/my journey.  I do have hair coverage throughout my entire scalp.  I'll probably get permanent scalp migropigmentation w/Mark Weston after my final strip.

I wouldn't worry if I were you - your family history is on your side, you had full hair until recently and your hairloss is confined primarily w/your frontal hairline zone.

Huge differences than my issues.  You'll be fine I am sure.

Edited by jjsrader

6 hours ago, Markee said:

Thats really good service you lucked into I'd like to try the minox/oral spiro combo  where you getting that at ?

For oral minox @cheapest price go w/www.thailandpharmacy.net  A bit odd how you pay them but they are good.  For oral spiro I would go with www.inhousepharmacy.vu

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Markee said:

Bro your like the hair transplant master with 9K grafts under your belt  ☺️

How many HT procedures have you actually had done ?

I have a big head; here's the gory details.  Due to avodart, progressively stronger rogaine from 5% up to 30% 2X's per day, hair laser from overmachogrande.com and Nizoral 2% shampoo - I was able to do really well from age 38 w/my surgery w/Dr. Feller for about 6-8 years.  Then, my genetics and family history and many years of taking fin, then dut, rogaine 2% then up to 30% 2X's per day and using Nizoral shampoo 2% for many years - my hairloss accelerated again after about 8 years from my strip surgery w/Dr. Feller.

I don't have a bald spot nor any areas where hair is not growing - but I would like to maximize my results.  At 18 months out from my last surgery I'll do another one and then a year or so after that I'll have my final surgeries, which will be FUE

At that point, w/permanent micropigment from Mark Weston somewhere in between these surgeries I'll be done.  I always knew that I would do anything in my power to not be bald and from the outset I was prepared for many surgeries if necessary.   Unfortunately, aggressive baldness w/a family history of almost everyone balding is not very good.  This type of balding is a progressive illness and requires follow-up surgeries if you are committed to not being bald (and alot of medicine and treatments as well). 

Again - I don't even recommend surgery to anyone w/early balding or poor hair quality (thin/fine hair) or family history that is stacked against them; it's a truly personal decision.  If I could go back and do it again knowing what I know now - I would have gone bald w/a bit of grace and dignity.

Age 24 - two strips a month apart from Dr. Matt Leavitt (100 & 120 grafts respectively).  This was the OLD days of strip removal.  Small scars but they were micrografts of 2-8 hairs.

Age 27 - One strip from Dr. Pomerantz  400 grafts.  Again micrografts.

Age 28 - Another strip from Dr. Pomerantz - 700 grafts.  Again micrografts

Age 38 - A strip from Dr. Feller - 2250 grafts.  Follicular units dissected under microscopes.

Age 50 - A strip from Dr. Soni - 4500 grafts.  Follicular units dissected under microscopes.

Age 50 - (same day from Dr. Soni) - 500 FUE

Edited by jjsrader

Thanks JS .. it’s good to know ur story .. Man U started ur hairloss battle at a young age when hairtransolants n meds were at its infancy .. i got a lot of respect and empathy for ya.. I can see why now u  don’t approve of younger guys or guys with minimal hairloss to take the transplant route .. it’s a tough journey n most people don’t realize that .: including myself .. thanks to u n spidey ,, I’m really glad I didn’t get my surgery for 1200 grafts in December .. I lost more hair during these 8 months .. I feel so naive , didn’t know anything about hair loss n was just going to choose Any clinic ,, n have no gameplan for future transplants.. I be chasing my hairline right now ., so im really appreciating this forum lately ,, u get honest advice ,, 

JJ your a much braver man then me

I'm still trying to figure my next more heres  my quiky story maybe you have some solid advice ?

Lingering around the forums for many years trying  to settle on a doctor that I felt  confident enough to do this with  also waiting till my loose to get ripe and my brain to feel  desperate enough to actually do this craziness 

Settled on Erdogan can't go wrong with that guy what a relief  actually be settle on 1 doctor unfortunately that didn't workout dude shot me down 3X  over a year time citing miniaturization not a good candidate moving on sent my pictures around consulting  to most of the the big name doctors none saw any issues all said good even went and saw a reliable local doctor said donor looks good to go

Next stop settled  on Dr. Maras HDC great track record going back many many years until I noticed something strange looking back at all his before and after pictures I don't see any temple work which is something i need done desperately so I ask his people if they could send me some examples of his work  they sent me 1 or 2 examples when i asked for more they never got back to me . So I moved on next stop was Dr, Baubac was excited  the guys results are impressive boom unexpectedly again shot down not a good candidate same miniaturization  story this just happened a few days ago so just trying to figure out my next move 

Any suggestions ?

not ready to just sit back and except this 

Markee, bump your thread again and see if some of the other members have some good advice.  I am sure a very good doctor somewhere in your geographic region can do a detailed consultation w/analysis of your hair visually and using a magnification device and at least square you up on exactly where you stand.

I can't remember who you went to in person but you really need to confirm that you are suitable hair transplantation candidate.

Temple points are important for advanced Norwoods - so yes, a good doctor can re-balance out your profile when done properly.

I always thought if you didn't keep your hair too short and wanted the most bang for your buck (if you are a candidate for hair transplant) and the most hairs in one surgery - would be Hasson & Wong strip.  For FUE in N. America probably Gabel or Shapiro Medical.

If you are on meds for 6-12 months (sounds like you want to use all the best systemic meds) - this might get your donor hair back up to a stable baseline to truly see if you are a candidate for surgery.

I know you've done alot of bodybuilding prohormones for probably many years - that's definitely some strong medicine that goes against keeping hair if you are prone to hairloss.  Big time.

I did them for literally only 1.5 months in 1996 and immediately stopped as the amount of hair I was losing was insane in such a short amount of time.  And I was only using the prohormones they sold in health-food stores before they banned them - not hard-core anabolics at all.

Anyways, hope you get it sorted out and can get surgery.  If your expectations are realistic - a good 1st surgery can be a wonderful way to turn back the hands of time on the top of your head.

peace...

Edited by jjsrader

7 hours ago, Legend007 said:

Thanks JS .. it’s good to know ur story .. Man U started ur hairloss battle at a young age when hairtransolants n meds were at its infancy .. i got a lot of respect and empathy for ya.. I can see why now u  don’t approve of younger guys or guys with minimal hairloss to take the transplant route .. it’s a tough journey n most people don’t realize that .: including myself .. thanks to u n spidey ,, I’m really glad I didn’t get my surgery for 1200 grafts in December .. I lost more hair during these 8 months .. I feel so naive , didn’t know anything about hair loss n was just going to choose Any clinic ,, n have no gameplan for future transplants.. I be chasing my hairline right now ., so im really appreciating this forum lately ,, u get honest advice ,, 

Yes, this is the best forum for us Americans imho.  When you first got here you were all over the map.  A bit of time and knowledge puts things into perspective.  Stay on your meds and I think when you do have your surgery for your frontal hairband and dense-pack it I think your results will be great.

• 1 month later...

Great posts and info guys.

Returning to the original post, I made the switch from Fin to Dut (Avodart) in March so have been on it for around 5-6 months now. I've just turned 40 and had been on Fin for about 12 years prior to that. During that time I've had 3 HTs (2 with Dr Feller and 1 with Dr Alexander). I made the switch to Dut because I seemed to be noticing ton more hairs in the shower and felt Fin was losing its efficacy.

However, since moving to Dut, I still seem to be shedding hairs like crazy. Definitely no visible signs of improvement. I don't know whether to give up on the Avodart and return to Fin. Or stick with the Avodart and just see what happens. Or whether there is something else I should be trying.

The bleak pessimist in me is wondering whether maybe mother nature has finally caught up with me and there's nothing much I can do now.

My gf swears that there isn't much difference to my hair and that my daily shedding is perfectly normal, but I've certainly noticed some thinning over the last 2 or 3 years.

Edited by skinnyshaft

NEWHAIRPLEASE - how long did it take for you to start noticing an improvement? And is the improvement visible on your head already, or is it more that you're noticing less hairs in the shower?

Very encouraging to hear you've been getting great results if you're in your mid 40s. Long may it continue.

4 hours ago, skinnyshaft said:

NEWHAIRPLEASE - how long did it take for you to start noticing an improvement? And is the improvement visible on your head already, or is it more that you're noticing less hairs in the shower?

Very encouraging to hear you've been getting great results if you're in your mid 40s. Long may it continue.

I’m on my 4th month...most noticeable is actually on the head. Fortunately I’ve never been a real big shedder. My hairloss was so slow ( it started at 17yo!! And I thought my world was coming to an end ) but I thank GOD that it’s been very very slow. So to answer your question I’m noticing much better results on my actual head but I’ve never really noticed hair in the shower. 

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

2 hours ago, NEWHAIRPLEASE said:

I’m on my 4th month...most noticeable is actually on the head. Fortunately I’ve never been a real big shedder. My hairloss was so slow ( it started at 17yo!! And I thought my world was coming to an end ) but I thank GOD that it’s been very very slow. So to answer your question I’m noticing much better results on my actual head but I’ve never really noticed hair in the shower. 

Your situation doesn't sound massively different to mine in that I've lost hair very slowly having first started receding at 18. However, unlike you, I shed TONS. My hair is super, super fine (Dr Feller said it was the most naturally fine hair he'd ever seen). However, it means there's lots of it. So when I shower, especially after I've applied conditioner when it's all stuck to my hands, I see lots of hairs. It's just hard to tell how much of mine is genuine hairloss or which is normal hair cycle. I mean, I've obviously been losing hair/thinning all these years. Just not sure if that loss has accelerated recently. So hard to tell with me.

But yeah, I do seem to be shedding more than normal last couple of years, unless I'm just more sensitive to noticing.

Anyway, great to hear of your success with Dut. Long may it continue! Please keep us updated.

18 hours ago, skinnyshaft said:

Great posts and info guys.

Returning to the original post, I made the switch from Fin to Dut (Avodart) in March so have been on it for around 5-6 months now. I've just turned 40 and had been on Fin for about 12 years prior to that. During that time I've had 3 HTs (2 with Dr Feller and 1 with Dr Alexander). I made the switch to Dut because I seemed to be noticing ton more hairs in the shower and felt Fin was losing its efficacy.

However, since moving to Dut, I still seem to be shedding hairs like crazy. Definitely no visible signs of improvement. I don't know whether to give up on the Avodart and return to Fin. Or stick with the Avodart and just see what happens. Or whether there is something else I should be trying.

The bleak pessimist in me is wondering whether maybe mother nature has finally caught up with me and there's nothing much I can do now.

My gf swears that there isn't much difference to my hair and that my daily shedding is perfectly normal, but I've certainly noticed some thinning over the last 2 or 3 years.

I also had a transplant w/Dr. Feller when I was 37 and began losing alot more hair about 6 years after at age 43.  16 year user of dutasteride here.  I do use systemic oral rogaine and spiro (yea, I know - don't go there).  As well as overmachogrande.com laser helmet 440 diode and 2X's weekly Nizoral. 

I think I RIVAL you for very very fine/straight hair.  Guys like us literally need 7K in our frontal 1/3rd to have a natural hairline zone that 'appears' to be near normal.  Not to mention (if you have the donor) another up to 5-8K for mid-vertex and near the crown.  The crown you 'dust' lightly. 

Since you are new to dut (but an older guy) - I would stick with it even if you are losing ground.  Think how much more you would be losing without dut? 

Sometimes us thin haired/fine hair guys w/very straight hair 'max' out our donor (fut/fue) and even then - we just have to work with what we have and accept it.

I still have a couple surgeries left at nearly 9k of grafts done and will probably throw permanent SMP into the mix along w/PRP w/Acell in the next 2 years and that will probably be it for me.

Good luck & you have had good surgeons thus far.