Considering Fue, am I a good candidate?

Hi all, I’ve been considering a fue transplant for sometime now and have never asked the pros(you guys) what you think. 

Im 26, started receding at 18/19 yrs old and the only balding person in my family is my dad, he lost most of his on top but his brothers and Dad have full heads of hair.

I’m considering Dr Nader, just not sure if my donor and everything is up to par.

let me know what y’all think, thanks.

A0BD41CB-2E4C-4BC0-B354-DE088D0190D8.jpeg

F18B7842-3A04-4F0D-AC1F-5E3F16AA291D.jpeg

It's a little tricky to judge your situation due to the shortness of your hair but there's clearly frontal recession and what looks like general thinning front to back. 

The pic of your donor area worries me slightly as it looks like you may have some thinning creeping up from the nape.

Sorry to sound slightly negative, if there's a reputable surgeon near you I'd suggest you get an in-person consultation with them to accurately assess things. All the best with it.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

I think trying to get an in-person evaluation would be ideal as well. And not only does the length of your hair make it difficult to see the severity of your hair loss, but the color/lighting also make it hard to really get a good idea. 

That said, this buzzed hairstyle looks to be a good fit for you. Is this a choice, or something you do to try and hide the hair loss? If you're happy with the way you look with a buzz cut, I'd really consider sticking with this for some time. You're still rather young, so if you can wait a bit longer to see how your hair loss progresses before you make any big decisions, that might be better for you in the long run. 

You'll know a lot more though once you have a consultation and have your hair fully evaluated. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Ya I buzz it because I didn’t want to be that guy who holds onto his last hair.  I don’t like the look though.

I’m really only receding in the temps, the lighting made the back look funny but I think I’m going to give it another 8-12 months before I make my decision. 

I want to enjoy a full head of hair before my youth runs out, then I don’t care if it goes.  I’ll be keeping an eye on Nader and people who go and have gone to him.

Good advice above, I agree with it all. I especially agree that the buzz look seems to suit you.

You're right, the lighting is without a doubt making your photos tricky to judge.  This is especially true in your donor area, where the occipital bun (the bump that juts out of the back of any human skull) is changing how the light hits your hair and potentially making areas of equal density appear uneven. The combo of your fair hair and the lighting is creating a misleading situation and it's best that anybody withholds assessments until you can take some better photos.

I'd suggest growing it out a bit and taking some photos outdoors.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

So I was on minoxidil for about 3 years, was a pretty good responder and I think my hair stabilized until about 6 months ago I saw it creeping back so I just gave up on it, I’m curious to see how aggressive my hairloss is.

I will say this about finasteride...the shit is poison! I gave it a try, lasted about a month before I started noticing my erections were drastically reduced, it was harder to get going, and worst of all, testicular pain that was so bad I couldn’t sleep. I still today suffer from pain down there, but have gained most of my libido back. 

Thanks for the advice guys...

10 hours ago, Recedinggenes said:

So I was on minoxidil for about 3 years, was a pretty good responder and I think my hair stabilized until about 6 months ago I saw it creeping back so I just gave up on it, I’m curious to see how aggressive my hairloss is.

I will say this about finasteride...the shit is poison! I gave it a try, lasted about a month before I started noticing my erections were drastically reduced, it was harder to get going, and worst of all, testicular pain that was so bad I couldn’t sleep. I still today suffer from pain down there, but have gained most of my libido back. 

Thanks for the advice guys...

Hi mate, I'm in the same boat. 26 years old and just gotten a few quotes from surgeons to proceed with my transplant. Deciding which surgeon to choose now.

My big issue is that all of them have recommended I use Finasteride pre and post surgery, as my donor hair is weak and overall hair very thin. They want me to use Finasteride to thicken my donor area for future possible transplants.

I'm very worried about the side effects. How was Minoxidil for you? How did it improve your hair and did you get any side effects? I'm wondering whether I can just use Minoxidil / Rogaine pre and post surgery instead of Finasteride....

49 minutes ago, OzzyBoy said:

Hi mate, I'm in the same boat. 26 years old and just gotten a few quotes from surgeons to proceed with my transplant. Deciding which surgeon to choose now.

My big issue is that all of them have recommended I use Finasteride pre and post surgery, as my donor hair is weak and overall hair very thin. They want me to use Finasteride to thicken my donor area for future possible transplants.

I'm very worried about the side effects. How was Minoxidil for you? How did it improve your hair and did you get any side effects? I'm wondering whether I can just use Minoxidil / Rogaine pre and post surgery instead of Finasteride....

Hey ozz, minoxidil worked great for me I’d say when I was consistently using it.  It never really regrew my hair but it definitely maintained what I had without any sides. 

Ill never recommend finasteride to anyone and will never touch the stuff myself.  The sides Were killer for me, and here I am 3 years later still suffering from testicle ache and low libido, I’m 26 I should be at my best down there but I took a risk and it got me.  To prove it wasn’t just “in my head”, I saw two urologist’s with both saying there is inflammation in my testes now and said it’s most likely from the fin and to stay away from it.  Almost costed me my relationship, stay away mate.