Can microneedling / radio waves help with "tenting" rough skin? 18 months post op

I've posted here one year ago about a "tenting" issue I was having with my skin in a topic called "Rough red skin / 6 months post operation"

By now I got good growth, but the skin under feels rough. Passing my fingers through my skin onto the hairline, you can feel the rough edge where the hairline starts. It's now over 18 months post op and the skin below is pretty much the same:

1. I have minor skin "bumps" around some hair, also referred to as tenting or cobblestone. This did improved a little over time, but still exists

2. The skin color is a little red, or at least somewhat noticeably different

3. The new hair is dense and in a natural direction which is great, but the hair does grow somewhat more curly than the hair around it and I don't understand why. This makes my hair look odd at times

Unfortunately, the clinic I've been to did not have a solution for this. They gave me a special shampoo but I've used it for months and it did not help.

I recently went to a few local doctors and one of them suggested trying microneedling + radio waves to help soften the skin and color. I've scheduled to do it next week.

- Can this operation hurt the current results or worsen the skin?

- Has anyone here tried it or know about others who have similar issues who did?

Tbh, I am quite afraid of causing further damage to what was perfectly fine skin before the original operation. But my original clinic isn't very responsive and I don't know who else to talk to. I figured this board is my best shot!

4.jpg.5af0885d6976901dc68785ff2cb79ba3.jpg

Edited by turingmachine

• Administrators

What did your clinic say about this? Is your surgeon recommended by our community? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, turingmachine said:

I've posted here one year ago about a "tenting" issue I was having with my skin in a topic called "Rough red skin / 6 months post operation"

By now I got good growth, but the skin under feels rough. Passing my fingers through my skin onto the hairline, you can feel the rough edge where the hairline starts. It's now over 18 months post op and the skin below is pretty much the same:

1. I have minor skin "bumps" around some hair, also referred to as tenting or cobblestone. This did improved a little over time, but still exists

2. The skin color is a little red, or at least somewhat noticeably different

3. The new hair is dense and in a natural direction which is great, but the hair does grow somewhat more curly than the hair around it and I don't understand why. This makes my hair look odd at times

Unfortunately, the clinic I've been to did not have a solution for this. They gave me a special shampoo but I've used it for months and it did not help.

I recently went to a few local doctors and one of them suggested trying microneedling + radio waves to help soften the skin and color. I've scheduled to do it next week.

- Can this operation hurt the current results or worsen the skin?

- Has anyone here tried it or know about others who have similar issues who did?

Tbh, I am quite afraid of causing further damage to what was perfectly fine skin before the original operation. But my original clinic isn't very responsive and I don't know who else to talk to. I figured this board is my best shot!

4.jpg.5af0885d6976901dc68785ff2cb79ba3.jpg

I think microneedling may help.  Definitely speak to multiple dermatologists.  Also, instead of microneedling roller, use microneedling stamp instead.  Start with the smallest needle possible (microneedling stamp .02 ml).  Also make sure that the needles are titanium.  And of course make sure that the needles are cleaned with alcohol of at least 64%.  Make sure you put alcohol along your hairline as well.  Feel free to ask me any questions.

By the way, do you mind possibly telling  us who performed your transplant??  You can help those of us considering the work of this particular clinic.

Do you think microneedling can cause any damage in competent hands? or at worst it would do nothing?

The clinic is recommended, yes. I'm trying to be sensitive about mentioning their name here. It feels like if I do, that's when I give up completely on getting possible help. I've just sent them another email and contacted their representative one more time before going into the mentioned skin care op next week.

They've addressed my concerns in the past. Understandably, most of the times I was told "don't worry it will go away" - which is reasonable under 6 months, even 12 months... but 18 months seems a bit much at this point, I mean this is just the way it is. I was also given a shampoo they say "helps with scaling" but I'm afraid it didn't help.

I'll capture more recent photos and update this post.

Edited by turingmachine

• Administrators

If you do not wish to disclose the clinics name publicly I understand, but our community prides itself on patient advocacy and accountability, you can message me privately with the name of the surgeon and I will reach out to them for a response. Under no circumstance should a surgeon not want to help you for voicing your dissatisfaction, in fact they should do the opposite. I believe all of our pre-screened surgeons are ethical and would be more than willing to help a dissatisfied patient. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks Melvin, just sent you a private message with more details. The clinic has responded, but have no solution for the problem with the skin just as before.

I've opened this discussion to learn more about skin issues and I'm surprised to see no traction. I'm going into the operation tomorrow, quite clueless to be honest, hoping I am not going to cause any more damage -- hopefully improve the skin a little bit.

Documenting the process - Microneedling / Radio waves treatment

Since I refuse to believe I'm the only one, I'll document the process. Maybe this will help others. I took a few minutes today to capture 18 months mark of my skin.

The photos attached were all taken today, by the same camera, same mode. The only difference is I took these in front of two different mirrors, in different lighting (white-ish and yellow-ish). It goes to show how different this can look in different scenes. But again - all taken today.

The operation was on my hairline / temples. Notice in the close up photos how no other hairs bump like this naturally, for example on the sides. I know close-ups are not always fair, but this bothers me enough to post here. This is my skin, I live inside of it every day and it's damaged.

front_white.jpg

front_yellow.jpg

white_front.jpg

white_side_1.jpg

white_side_2.jpg

yellow_side_1.jpg

yellow_side_2.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...