Dr Wong/DPA/Fine hair/FUT/4287/grafts/10 months post-op

Vancouver area patient in his mid-50’s with diffused thinning over entire scalp with no one particular area significantly worse than the other. The pre-op photos may not reveal the extent of the thinning but you can see the difference in the hairline and crown.  DPA (diffuse pattern alopecia) cases especially when combined with fine hair can pose challenges. Preserving existing hair, medication and a relatively larger number of grafts to cover considerable amounts of scalp all play important roles. Dr. Wong and team planted 4287 grafts of which 790 were singles,  2,369 were doubles and 1128 were 3-4 hair grafts.  These photos were taken 10 months post-op.

hair-transplant-before-after-4287-grafts
hair-transplant-before-after-4287-grafts
hair-restoration-surgery-before-after-42
hair-transplant-surgery-before-after-428
hair-restoration-before-after-4287-graft

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Doug, 

Hasson And Wong has been  producing exceptional results For many years and there’s no doubt that it continues today. In this particular result though, the before and after photos look like they’ve been taken under different lighting conditions. I understand it’s not always easy or possible to get an exact match especially with hair color, length and style.   But lighting is one of those variables that clinics typically have control over.   You can still see that the end result is good however, I think that it would be a better comparison under similar lighting. 

Best wishes,

Bill

what is so bad/different about the lighting...? lol

Doug - the result is great. I agree with you at first glance it just seems he needs some hairline work, but the crown was definitely thinning. Its nice that he was able to knock it all out in one shot.

Do you know if he's on fin? I'm sure Hasson and Wong both have great skill in diffuse thinning?

great result

PeloDinero,

Thank you for the comments. Yes, with the lateral slit technique and shaving of the recipient site, the majority of the native hairs were kept intact. The patient is taking Proscar. Most diffused thinners should use something to try and prevent further loss.

Bill,

Thank you for the comments also. However, I’m not sure what to make of the lighting part. I have responded to a similar inquiry here:

We do try to match as best we can but there are some challenges. While I believe it would be ideal that the background and lighting were perfectly matched, I believe it is more important to show clear concise photos including hairline shots. If the detail and quality of the photos are intact, the background and lighting should be of little consequence as long as the result is properly presented and clearly able to be accurately assessed. Looking at 14 presentations on the front page here alone, I see 9 with different backgrounds/lighting. Some lack detail, some use flash, some are too dark, some don’t have hairline shots, some are blurry, etc. Are you planning to make suggestions on all of those? I will look forward to that ? . Good lighting can come in many different forms and it is more important that the lighting is good rather than just similar. Similar bad lighting is still bad. Just as two photos with the exact same background lighting with blurry hairline shots and lack of detail are of little use compared to clear shots with different lighting.    

HairlossPA,

Thank you for the comments and again coming to my defense!?  I think most would agree with you. As mentioned, he is on meds and yes we are very good at transplanting between existing hair and on diffuse thinners when required. We were one of the first to shave the recipient areas and this result would not be possible without the shave. The shave used to be more of an issue for some patients but the most researched and educated understand the importance of this for preserving native hair.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

hello , 

I am wondering what is the best solution to manage work life and this kind of surgery ? Doug , you know I might be looking to do the same kind of surgery but I am working in Sales and the maximum time off I can take away from work is 4 weeks .....

How do people manage this situation?

thanks 

Sean, Hockeyman,

Thank you for the nice comments. Yes, I agree, very natural, nice hairline.

Conan,

Four weeks is usually a very manageable time to return to work with a fairly normal looking appearance. Most can get away with 2 weeks. Under the right conditions, I’ve seen some patients look good at 1-week post-op. Every case is a bit different but skin tone, amount of existing hair, size of the procedure and donor area can all play a role in how quickly you can resume a normal look. If I recall your situation, considering your existing hair, and what I believe is average or darker skin tone, you should look pretty good in 2 weeks with a proper haircut. 4 weeks should be more than enough time post-op.

NEWHAIRPLEASE,

Thank you for the comments.  I agree the lighting is different but not “bad” I hope? I agree we should try and improve on this but at least you can clearly see the result, right? Some patients do color the hair after the procedure but I think this is a case of different conditions of lighting, area and possibly camera.

Hassonandwong.com

On 7/13/2018 at 3:54 AM, H & W Doug said:

PeloDinero,

Thank you for the comments. Yes, with the lateral slit technique and shaving of the recipient site, the majority of the native hairs were kept intact. The patient is taking Proscar. Most diffused thinners should use something to try and prevent further loss.

Bill,

Thank you for the comments also. However, I’m not sure what to make of the lighting part. I have responded to a similar inquiry here:

We do try to match as best we can but there are some challenges. While I believe it would be ideal that the background and lighting were perfectly matched, I believe it is more important to show clear concise photos including hairline shots. If the detail and quality of the photos are intact, the background and lighting should be of little consequence as long as the result is properly presented and clearly able to be accurately assessed. Looking at 14 presentations on the front page here alone, I see 9 with different backgrounds/lighting. Some lack detail, some use flash, some are too dark, some don’t have hairline shots, some are blurry, etc. Are you planning to make suggestions on all of those? I will look forward to that ? . Good lighting can come in many different forms and it is more important that the lighting is good rather than just similar. Similar bad lighting is still bad. Just as two photos with the exact same background lighting with blurry hairline shots and lack of detail are of little use compared to clear shots with different lighting.    

HairlossPA,

Thank you for the comments and again coming to my defense!?  I think most would agree with you. As mentioned, he is on meds and yes we are very good at transplanting between existing hair and on diffuse thinners when required. We were one of the first to shave the recipient areas and this result would not be possible without the shave. The shave used to be more of an issue for some patients but the most researched and educated understand the importance of this for preserving native hair.

Same settings on the camera, same room, same lighting setup.  What is difficult about this? Absolutely nothing. It's fine to experiment but every recent result is as Bill mentions. HnW do a better job than 99% of other clinics at this, but come on, it doesn't take a genius to get this perfect and its not as if there are money issues inhibiting a  perfect photography setup. 

Agree it doesn't make sense to focus on HnW here though when looking at the majority of others that are 10 levels below that par, could never recommend someone go to a clinic that thinks blurry phone quality photos are acceptable documentation when they're collecting over 15k a day in revenue.  If a clinic can't spend what is likely a days earnings on a decent photography setup for documentation they genuinely don't deserve anyone's business because they clearly don't give much of a shit in general.

Edited by JeanLDD

• Administrators

Great results Doug, did you guys happen to take a video of the results? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Doug ,

thanks for your quick answer . But I still have some doubts about the recvory time . 

I mean I have no doubt about the healing time itself , I remember during my last surgery it took me 10 days to get rid of all the crust.

My doubt are more on the esthetic look itself , if you are compeltely buzz down in the same way as the photo here , I strongly doubt 4 weeks will be ebough in order to get back to a normal look , be able to come back to wrk without anyone noticing you had a surgery . 

Am I wrong here ? 

thanks

Da

Doug, thanks for your response regarding the photos and lighting. I do understand that it’s tough to get lighting perfect but there were some photos where the before photos showed much lighter hair than tha after photos which indicates one of two things.  It was either much brighter in there for the after photos or the patient dyed his hair.  Assuming it’s the former, buy default brighter lighting makes hair look thinner while reduced lighting makes it look thicker. So to see before picture under potentially brighter lighting which makes it look thinner than it is and after photos under potentially reduced lighting which makes the results look thicker therefore makes a result appear more dramatic than it really is.  

That said, I know you know all of these things and I’m not suggesting you intended to do this.  But I suggest commenting on this phenomenon in the future, explaining why the lighting is doggerel and that it’s not an intentional method of making a result look even more superior than it is. 

Dont get me wrong, usually the photos you present are a very close match with lighting and I know first hand how exceptional Hasson and Wong are.   I just suggest being mindful of this phenomenon as I would hate to see anyone question Hasson and Wong when we know how good they are.  

Best wishes,

Bill

Gasthoerer, 

Thank you for the comments! Here is a photo of the scar:

JW-7-17-2018.jpg

JeanLDD, 

Thank you for the comments! I agree.

However:  “Same settings on the camera, same room, same lighting setup.  What is difficult about this?” It can be more difficult at times than it seems. Call me if you’d like the full version and you want to waste 30 minutes of your life you’ll never get back?

Melvin-HTsoon, 

We have a request out to get him back for a video.

Conan, 

A normal look maybe, not the previous look. What some patients do is cut the hair short/shorter before the procedure to get people used to the new haircut and it does not draw attention. See this post and the 13 days post-op photos at the end.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/48854-dr-hasson4693-graftsfutone-session-10-months/?tab=comments#comment-451785

hockeyman, 

I was involved with the majority of the in-person consults at Headquarters from 2002 to early 2017. Since late 2016 early 2017, I have handed over those duties and have concentrated on all my other responsibilities. I will see the occasional patient in person here and there for an evaluation but do most interaction with patients over the phone and by email.  

Bill,

I had a long response to some of your comments but have decided maybe there is no point.  If we’re held to a higher standard, so be it. In the end, I appreciate the feedback and we will try and get better. The backgrounds are now the same at the clinic but we’re still be working through some of the before shots taken with the old background.

I will put in a disclaimer on my next post if necessary. Maybe something like: “This result is great but it may appear we are trying to deceive with the difference in lighting. Our apologies that the color of the background, the photographer, the camera settings, the camera, the lighting, etc. are not exactly the same as they were 2 years ago on the day of his procedure☺️

Edited by H & W Doug

Hassonandwong.com

• 3 weeks later...