Would it be possible to harvest WHOLE my hairs at donor (I don't care about scars\depleted back and sides.

Hi guys,

I'm wearing a full cap wig for over 12 years (That's just like an hair system, however, it's also for sides and back and not just the top of the head).

I started to lose my hair since I was 16, unfortunately when I was 24 I was already norwood 7.

As you probably know, most men who end up norwood 7 also lose their nape area and also their sides look quiet thin since they lose hair there also.

I'm considering to have an hair transplant for over 3 years already to fill the edges of my toupee : (The first 1 CM of my hairline, temple points, side burn and nape area)

You can check this picture so you can have an idea of what I'm looking for including the hairline

https://imgur.com/a/7cfKhlU

https://imgur.com/a/WCcio1D

Final results

https://imgur.com/a/A875quR

My question is basically, would it be possible to transfer via FUE in one produce 3,000 grafts from my sides and back (There's no way to harvest those grafts without making my donor look thin because it's already thin, I do know that if I take the entire hair I have on my sides and back could reach to around 5k at most and that's if I don't keep a single hair and willing to live with thousands tiny scars).

So Yes, I don't mind about any scar, this area is covered for many years and will continue to be covered, I just want to build a real hairline, temple points and nape area just like the links I posted. at

Very important to note, all the hairs I have in my sides and back are permanent and are not going to shed, the only thing I want to do is to transfer those hairs to the area I noted.

So please let me know if this is achieve able if I'm willing to give up on my hairs in my sides and back and live with those scars.

Thank you so much!!!

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

Edited by aaron0d3

You could move 1k grafts to your nose technically, so yes, this is achievable. Its finding a good doc that will do it that will be the challenge.  

• Haha 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your question, you are asking if you are able to completely deplete your donor area in order to rebuild your hairline, temple points and nape.

The question if it is possible is not as straight forward as one would believe. Yes it is possible to deplete the donor and transplant the hair to the desired areas. However, doing this could cause several problems down the line, for example a thin depleted unnatural donor. Additionally, the scarring that could occur could potentially ruin the scalp for any further surgeries down the line. If the surgery does not turn out to be as successful as anticipated that means that the possibility of correcting the initial surgery would no longer be an option.

What is more concerning, is the fact that you state you already have a thin donor zone that is possibly not permanent or stable. Prior to any surgery, it is imperative that you consult with a qualified hair transplant surgeon to thoroughly examine your donor site for miniaturization. Although, you state you have a Norwood 7 pattern, you may be suffering from Diffused Unpatterned Alopecia (DUPA). If you are suffering from DUPA it is likely you are not a hair transplant candidate.

In conclusion, it is possible to deplete the donor and transplant the majority of the hair from your donor zone to the desired areas. However, that does not mean that the surgery will be a success or give you the look you are desiring. It is important to rule out the possibility of Diffused Unpatterned Alopecia (DUPA) prior to considering surgery.

Warmest regards- Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1. @Spanker - Thanks for your respond, however, why would that be a challenge? If I'm hiding those area for many years and not going to stop, so scars are not an issue for me at all/

@Melvin-HTsoon - Hi Melvin, thank you for your detailed respond, when you wrote : " However, doing this could cause several problems down the line, for example a thin depleted unnatural donor. Additionally, the scarring that could occur could potentially ruin the scalp for any further surgeries down the line."

That's exactly what i'm looking for, I'm looking to "Ruin" my donor area, have tons of scars, since again, i'm wearing a full cap wig which is covering all those areas, but to make the fullcap wig more natural I need to have real hairs in my edges which are like the pictures I posted.

I also understand that it's concering that my donor thinned during those years, but I know this is not DUPA, it's just regular retrograde alopecia, just like my whole family, even the oldest, all of them have hair at the back of the hair and sides, however you can clearly see they lost around 40-50% out of it during the years. 

We are all norwood 7 and our pattern is the same (I'm the youngest), basically lost 90% of the nap area\ side burn\ temple points went like 1 CM back, but there's still remaining hairs and if you take all of them out you can easily get 5K, but again, that means you will be left with no hair at all and many scars, which again, doesn't bother for me at all.

If I haven't lost a single hair at my sides and back in the last 20 years after I already became norwood 7 and my sides and back became with less hairs. does those hairs are not count permanent after all?

Thanks!

It may not be a challenge.  Give it a shot and see what they say. It is unorthodox tho, I think it may be difficult.  

I would want to leave you the option to be naturally bald and they may too.  

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, aaron0d3 said:
  1. @Spanker - Thanks for your respond, however, why would that be a challenge? If I'm hiding those area for many years and not going to stop, so scars are not an issue for me at all/

@Melvin-HTsoon - Hi Melvin, thank you for your detailed respond

I also understand that it's concering that my donor thinned during those years, but I know this is not DUPA, it's just regular retrograde alopecia, just like my whole family, even the oldest, all of them have hair at the back of the hair and sides, however you can clearly see they lost around 40-50% out of it during the years. 

We are all norwood 7 and our pattern is the same (I'm the youngest), basically lost 90% of the nap area\ side burn\ temple points went like 1 CM back, but there's still remaining hairs and if you take all of them out you can easily get 5K, but again, that means you will be left with no hair at all and many scars, which again, doesn't bother for me at all.

If I haven't lost a single hair at my sides and back in the last 20 years after I already became norwood 7 and my sides and back became with less hairs. does those hairs are not count permanent after all?

Thanks!

The fact that your donor has thinned though out the years is what concerns me, retrograde alopecia does not necessarily mean you’re not a candidate. However, it does mean the amount of “safe” donor hair is significantly lowered. Do you have pictures of what your donor hair looked like 10 years ago compared to now? If it has thinned overall, I think it would be safe to assume that DHT is also affecting the donor site. Therefore, having surgery could be a problem if those hairs thin overtime. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Aaron,

To piggyback off what Melvin has already said, yes it is possible. But is it a good idea and will any surgeon to do this for you? I suppose that’s debatable. In my opinion, I think you ought to consult one of our prescreens hair restoration surgeons to see what they have to say about your situation. It sounds like you have exceptionally been doing her hair which may not even be good for transplanting.  But only a qualified hair restoration physician  can tell you this for sure after evaluating your scalp and hair in person. 

best wishes,

Bill

That's a hell of a long-term gamble/commitment to 'wearing full-cap' hair.

At age 45 or 50 (you are in your late 30's, right)  you might decide you no longer want to wear hair and you are screwed.  Are you prepared to wear hair 'til age 80 or 85?  I don't know - that's alot of commitment.

Interesting idea; ethical for a doctor to take your money?  Probably not.

Ok even if you use other hairs from other sources (beard,body,pube,ass,nape, whatever source) the surgeons procedure may fail. I would not take part in any type of surgical hair restoration because youll risk scarring.  In fact you may end up with ridging or cobblestoning which may impact any hair system negativly.

With FUE you can risk halos and permanent shockloss inclysive if dot scarring,  with FUT same thing but with an unexpected scar.  

Be really careful,  trust me.  Fml

On 7/11/2018 at 11:15 PM, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Aaron,

To piggyback off what Melvin has already said, yes it is possible. But is it a good idea and will any surgeon to do this for you? I suppose that’s debatable. In my opinion, I think you ought to consult one of our prescreens hair restoration surgeons to see what they have to say about your situation. It sounds like you have exceptionally been doing her hair which may not even be good for transplanting.  But only a qualified hair restoration physician  can tell you this for sure after evaluating your scalp and hair in person. 

best wishes,

Bille

Thanks a lot guys for all your replies,

As I have mentioned, yes, I will commitment to wear the hair system for the entire life, I do it for so many years and can't live a single day without it.

Scars are not an issue, actually,  even if the surgery "fails" that's not an issue for me, beside losing hope and money, it won't have any effect  about my daily life, after all, I have something that cover any kind of scar or whatever.

I'm just trying to think logical, a person who's norwood 7 usually lose hair also at their sides\back, especially nape area, temples and sideburn.

It's actually very common even to lose in the "Heart" of the donor which is the top back of the head which counts "permanent hair " although it's not always permanent, especially for norwood 7 patients.

Since it has been about 22 years since I became norwood 7, and I left with less hair in sides and back (Nape is gone completely), those hairs that still remainning and didn't shed for over 15 years (Beside their natural cycle), I don't see how those are not counts as "permanents" grafts, or why I won't be a candidate for Hair transplant when I don't mind at all to be left with scarring.

Your opinions is truly important for me, I have been following this forum for few years already, I can understand why most of you wouldn't recommend it but if you think this way, that I will never giveup on wearing the hair system and I don't mind about scarring so the only last reason is, does my grafts are permanent and that's something I'm not sure how could be possible to know under magnification when you can already see it's not "Thick" donor, however I know, the hairs that remains are 100% permanents, my pattern is exactly like my whole family, six brothers who looks like gargamel with thinner sides and back though, but all of them still have hair if we count together could reach to atleast 5k grafts and 5 thousands tiny scars exchange :P

Dr. Konior in Chicago has talked about doing exactly this before for select patients.  His website has a section specifically about this the last time I looked. 

https://www.chicagohairinstitute.com/surgical-hair-loss-solutions/hair-system-and-hairline-surgery

If anyone can do it, it's him.   If you are looking to do this, I think you really have to convince him that you are serious because obviously it's irreversible.