Permanent bumps in recipient area

I just got a FUT a month ago and I have the same issue going on. If I run my hand through my recipient area it feels really bump like a cobblestone street and in fact there's something called "cobblestoning" in the HT world which is not good. I reached out to my surgeon and he said that this is because the tissue in that area is still healing and can take up to a year.

But i'm curious what others have to say about this.

Edited by harrylloyd

• Administrators

It’s not very common, but can occur, if you experience some bumpiness post op I would wait for the wounds to completely heal. Do you have any pictures you can post?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

I looked at your pictures and can’t see any “cobblestone” appearance. The hair hasn’t grown yet and you are still healing, it is normal to feel some slight uneven texture of your skin, once the hairs grow you will no longer feel anything. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This is one of my biggest fears of a ht.. the cobblestonning ,, bumpiness of the skin ..it should be common sense that this would happen ,, incisions into ur skin , or hairs that are implanted incorrectly .. lots of variables that can cause the skin to look bumpy while the growing hair n the damage to the scalp will cause this effect .. but if we heal right .. it should correct itself .. it takes time some longer than others ..

im also worried about the redness too .. some takes longer to heal than others ,, it’s the risk we take when we do surgery .. our scalp just got a hit with a few thousand cuts n bruises , our body is good at healing thought .. give it some time .. best wishes 

Cobblestoning and ridging are probably the worst feeling things.  Just be careful, folks say it can be temporary but it can also be permanent needing further surgery to correct it.  Fml

There is a common misconception with this. I also was a bit worried about the recipient after my first HT 3 years ago because I simply didn't know what to expect. I see similar concerns on this forum a lot and I believe 99% of the people are actually seeing what is shown in my pic here.

The recipient is going to be rough and bumpy for awhile after a HT....there is going to be inflammation, tiny follicles/holes where the grafts were implanted, etc. Especially once the transplanted hair initially sheds...it's going to look and feel raised/rough/shiny/scarred. I attached a pic here about a month after my very first transplant so you can see what I mean. You can see it basically looks like hamburger....lots of pock marks, etc. That was my hairline and the normal skin below it is my forehead.

Trust me, THIS IS COMMON. 

Unless someone takes pics in the exact light...you simply would never pick this skin/orange peel texture up in other peoples' pics....but trust me, it's there. Their skin is ALL the same after a HT...especially in an area that had little to no hair previously. Harrylloyd...you and I both had Dr. K....cobblestoning will NEVER be an issue with him or really any other surgeon these days...it's rare (even on failed HT's). I freaked out about this for about a month and feel like an idiot now for ever even thinking it was something bad....but again, I didn't know what was normal because I could never pick it up in other peoples' pics due to their lighting and angles. After my subsequent HT's, I did not really notice this....but I had a lot more hair in those areas and I feel the trauma was less (due to less grafts being placed the 2nd and 3rd times versus the 1st time).

I assure you it went away 110% and my skin in these areas feels and looks perfectly smooth and normal like it did before I ever had surgery (and I have been transplanted into that area 2 more times since). Hair started to fill those areas in well after 4-5 months and I am sure it was undetectable at that point due to the hair and it eventually just healed up overall....remember, skin can take a solid year to 18 months to heal.

IMG_1995.JPG

Edited by matt3480

Cobblestoning is something that is visually distinctive.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

There seems to be confusion between cobblestoning and orange peel texture as in the pics above.  

This is cobblestoning and apparently is due to not trimming the grafts of excess tissue before implantation.

Capture.PNG

Edited by slimjerky

I just had beard transplant and this is 10 days post op. I took off all the scabs in the last 2 days. The skin area is pink and looked raised (please see the pic below) Especially from the top perimeter. I am really worried about this. Is this normal? I hope this is not cobblestoning?

481AFB84-CF3A-4C0B-A2A9-4C370E58E955.thumb.jpeg.89930b02e399a9a72a7bacae0b180461.jpeg

3 hours ago, kumardarshan said:

I just had beard transplant and this is 10 days post op. I took off all the scabs in the last 2 days. The skin area is pink and looked raised (please see the pic below) Especially from the top perimeter. I am really worried about this. Is this normal? I hope this is not cobblestoning?

481AFB84-CF3A-4C0B-A2A9-4C370E58E955.thumb.jpeg.89930b02e399a9a72a7bacae0b180461.jpeg

The area is soft to touch. It appeared soon after the scab removal. I was reading up on ridging as well. Would it be normal for ridging to appear in post 10 days after surgery?

Honestly, it looks like inflammation more than anything and certainly not abnormal especially so soon post-op…now that you have thoroughly cleaned the area, try applying a cream rich with aloe vera several times daily for several weeks because this can greatly help to smooth the surface, reduce the redness, and just provide cooling to the area.

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Like gil said, it's just inflamed and a little swell. It's normal since it just got trough a wound. It's like if you pricked your hand, the spot will be red and a little bumped for a while.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It would be helpful to receive an update.

Gillenator