How many grafts would I need? NW5

HI i am 20 years old and have been losing my hair since 17. I have gotten on finasteride for the past year. I feel like I lost a lot of hair and I am very worried that even with a large hair transplant I will still have very thin looking hair regardless of if I grow it out to this length which I prefer not to. I was hoping when I turn 22 I will have saved enough money to do a 6000 graft hair transplant with Koray Erdogan. What are your guy's opinion of my hair keep in mind it is very long. If necessary I would be willing do even more assuming he says I have enough donor hair

Image-1-1.jpg

Image-1-2.jpg

Man. I’ve been there. The best advice I can give you is ( as bad as it sucks ) hold off on a transplant. You have a lot of diffuse thinning and you are very very young. I would certainly try and get your hair loss under control with Dut/Fin and Minox or some combination of the three. Once stabilized I’d reaccess the situation. 

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hey Newhairline as I said in the post I’ve been on fin for 1 year. It has grown some hair for me and my hair loss has stopped. Hopefully it’ll grow more in the next year but I think this might be it as I haven’t seen new growth in the past 2-3 months. So iris stable, what’s your take on 6000 grafts? How full do you think I can get it?

• Administrators

I agree with newhair, 20 years old is too young. You have to consider the possibilities. What if the results are not ideal or what you would expect. When you have surgery the possibility of shaving is gone. At your age, I think waiting a few years and really thinking about it, do you have the finances? The time to have multiple surgeries? Hair transplants are not a one and done thing. You will likely have up to 4 surgeries in your lifetime. Additionally, how emotionally prepared are you for a failed result? These things must be considered, do not act on emotion. 

Warmest regards- Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Koray maxes out in single procedures at 5k grafts typically, occasionally 5500. Honestly in your position I would definitely be strongly considering surgery and think it is your best option, but everything Melvin said should be very much considered also.

Also you will probably need a second procedure to get it to where you want it and address micro-issues, around the 2k mark.  This all dependant on your donor also.

I would stay on the fina in case it stops further dropping back at the crown. But the reality is you're probably fairly close to your final hairloss pattern. Pretty much a fullblown NW5, but people at that level still often get good results. Honestly the biggest issue in your position is probably the financial one, but if that's managed I would certainly do it.

Hey everyone I should want to give a reply to the top 4 posters, I would like to point out I’m getting my transplant at 22 not at 20. And yes I am more than willing to spend the money and get multiple surgeries I am aware of this all I care about is how good the result for me will be with 6000 grafts, how “full” will my hair look in everyday life. As for a failed procedure I always have the possibility of shaving my head like every other bald guy. For those unfamiliar Koray Erdogan does only FUe surgeries  I will not have a scar

• Administrators

There is no surgery without a scar, this is a fact. Whoever told you that a doctor can perform surgery without causing scars has not been honest. Once you have surgery the possibility of shaving your head without any signs of surgery is gone. 

Warmest regards -Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 hours ago, Melvin-HTsoon said:

There is no surgery without a scar, this is a fact. Whoever told you that a doctor can perform surgery without causing scars has not been honest. Once you have surgery the possibility of shaving your head without any signs of surgery is gone. 

Warmest regards -Melvin

Do you feel 6000 grafts can get me a "full" coverage? Can you find a picture online of what you think my hair would look like after 6000 grafts? Have you had a hair transplant yourself? How many grafts?

29 minutes ago, pinhole123 said:

Do you feel 6000 grafts can get me a "full" coverage? Can you find a picture online of what you think my hair would look like after 6000 grafts? Have you had a hair transplant yourself? How many grafts?

You should take good quality photos of your front and sides and back from all angles.  It looks like you have fine/straight hair.  You might be on your way to a full Norwood 7 with that much loss so young (even being on fin).

At age 22 unless you have slower hairloss and better quality hair - I personally wouldn't do it right now.  You need to go to a real LIVE consultation w/a few doctors and have them check your density/hair quality/possible miniaturization issues, etc...

Do that and take some better photos and post again - you'll get lots more feedback.

Good luck and stay strong - alot other guy's here started balding very young as well.  Even though it sounds cliche you can have a full life without hair on top of your head; believe it or not.  But you have choices - just make sure they are well informed.

Balding is a progressive condition - especially after age 45 if you have considerable baldness and a high % of hairloss on both sides of family.

Edited by jjsrader

• Administrators
3 hours ago, pinhole123 said:

That all depends on several factors, the characteristics of your hair, the size of your head, how dense your donor zone is, and lastly how well the transplant grows. Yes I have had three surgeries, you can see my results in my profile and also my original threads are in my signature. Also, what is full coverage to you? do you mean that you will have no scalp visible at all front to back? if so then no I don't think that is possible with 6,000 grafts at your level of hair loss.

View my thread