2,177 FUT from Dr. Konior

6 minutes ago, JeanLDD said:

lol from a guy who literally starts *explicitly* negative threads about other doctors and then spreads negative comments across various other threads that's a little rich. I think a lot of people would have considered this question, and not just to be negative.

OP is obviously very early in the process and I haven't seen a poor case from Konior, but the reality is that its a fair question to ask if a 2000 graft FUT and spread across a larger than average area for the number is an optimal approach because its no doubt different to what we usually see. Saying this as someone who would consider Konior for a future procedure too.  

Some people definitely feel pressured into having lower graft numbers or being conservative due to believing they have no other options, when the reality is that via FUT or FUE there are most certainly surgeons who could have with zero issues covered a larger area and with more density, I suspect Konior could have too. Based on Konior's typical work probably 95%+ grafts will grow, but realistically a larger cosmetic improvement from a single procedure would have been possible with higher graft numbers, there's no question of it. I'm sure many surgeons would have different opinions on FUE/FUT due to linear scar risks even for a small graft number, not to mention I've seen some suggest a first strip procedure should be as large as possible for maximising long term graft numbers. Its no secret that outside of the US surgeons tend to be less conservative, but no less successful, so people shouldn't feel they have to go one method or another.

Its fair to have discussion on the issue, if OP or any other poster made the decision to go this route then I don't really see how they can be offended, quite frankly its ridiculous to pretend that's anything remotely offensive. Presumably there is good reason behind it and if they're doing long term research like OP then they'd easily be able to give insight into their choice. Basic questions like this help people make informed judgements, especially when perspectives differ so drastically from surgeon to surgeon.

Questioning one specific surgeon’s results (Erdogan) is different than going on threads and asking the same question over and over (“why so few grafts”) without even considering what the patient’s strategy or donor situation is first

11 minutes ago, HarryHonolulu said:

Questioning one specific surgeon’s results (Erdogan) is different than going on threads and asking the same question over and over (“why so few grafts”) without even considering what the patient’s strategy or donor situation is first

I hadn't seen him ask that specific question but I get the point. Still though, I thought the same thing looking at this case but at the end of the day just suspected that OP made the choice based on what he wanted to achieve. Either way I very much doubt that he couldn't have utilised double this amount among plenty of reputable surgeons who would have recommended him to do so imo, including some of those located in NA so hope he didn't feel pressured into the conservative approach.

Looks like good progress and the fact the scar area is thin in areas makes me think there is more growth on its way at the front. Obviously you won't get miracles for 2000 grafts but your hair looks coarser than most.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

@Phil36fromaus summarized it pretty well. Dr. Konior's initial assessment over email from just looking at pictures was that I would need 3,000 grafts (2,000 for the hairline and 500-1,000 for the middle area). However, he mentioned that a conservative approach would be to go for 2,000 as the higher you go up the more of a risk you are for shock loss. So me being risk averse, I decided to go with the conservative approach. Looking back, if I could make that decision again I would go for the 3,000 grafts. Because at this point I will more than likely need another HT in 5 years or so as I don't take Fin or Minox so if I had went for the 3,000 maybe that timeline could've been delayed further. Who knows though. If I could get even 30% more density and thickness of what I have now, I'll be happy with the result. I'm almost at 6 months so hopefully in the next 3 months, I'm hoping and praying I get more density.

You definitely chose the right surgeon, you will get a good result in the end, i really hope you consider getting on Fin though bro because that is one of the biggest tools for fighting this balding battle, can I ask how much Dr Konior charged for 2k grafts?

On 12/4/2018 at 3:16 AM, Phil36fromaus said:

I know theres been a debate about whether 2000 grafts is enough for this level of balding, but even the OP stated explicitly at the beginning of his post "I needed around 3,000 grafts in the frontal region but if I wanted a more conservative approach I should get 2,000."

I was in the exact same situation and underwent a 2000 graft surgery with Konior in 2015 for my first HT and can say I had ZERO regrets from that experience. Obviously i was always going to need more to accomodate any future balding, but as far as thinking long term and accommodating any future recession just that modest improvement was enough to make me happy and substantially alter my quality of life. 

I might be in the minority but the 5000 mega-sessions offered elsewhere just make me nervous. Plus it's Dr Konior ... he's incredibly judicious and meticulous ... has anyone ever seen a bad result from his clinic? 

So while OP won't get "miracles", Im still utterly looking forward to the results, If they were anything like mine Im sure he'll be happy. 

I feel exactly the same re: mega sessions

Edited by HarryHonolulu

@Kiwi Guy It was $13,5 but people should also factor in cost for travel. I know fin is basically the front line of defense and proven to have great results but I can't risk the potential side effects. And I get that the chances of getting those are low but I feel like over the course of years it can't be healthy for you. People already complain about low sex drive, watery semen, gyno..it's just all too much. I can't risk stuff down there :)

8 hours ago, harrylloyd said:

@Kiwi Guy It was $13,5 but people should also factor in cost for travel. I know fin is basically the front line of defense and proven to have great results but I can't risk the potential side effects. And I get that the chances of getting those are low but I feel like over the course of years it can't be healthy for you. People already complain about low sex drive, watery semen, gyno..it's just all too much. I can't risk stuff down there :)

Oh wow really? I didn't know aboutm the gyno stuff, that scares me haha... where did you travel from for the op... outside of the U.S?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 7:17 AM, literalno said:

dr konior does all the graft placement? I thought that was the job of techs because it is far too laborious for one person.

Can an expert please clarify

I just had my second session with Dr. Konior yesterday (Dec 18). First time was FUT so I was out of it the whole time, but this time it was FUE and I was pretty aware during the placement. Dr. K did most of the heavy-lifting with the placement of grafts but worked in conjunction with his assistant, instructing her about the angle and depth of grafts, etc. 

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

• 5 months later...

Hi Boys - I'm guilty of not updating my thread. I think what happens is that a lot of us use this place for moral/emotional support right after a HT and then once things start looking good we tend to abandon it. I'm guilty of that. I'm actually over 2 years out now from my first FUT but the pictures I'm posting below are at around the 10 month mark. I didn't gain much more density than what's shown in these pictures. Perhaps 5% more at max and I don't take many pictures of myself so I apologize I don't have more. However, I must also note that I just recently had my second FUT with Dr. Konior a week back. The reason for a second FUT was because I don't take any sort of meds; therefore, I know that I was going to continue losing some more hair and this is to combat that. I hate the pain and recovery aspect of it though. I might be done after this. No mas. The second procedure went just as well as the first one. I let Dr. K do his thing. I just told him that I was looking for more density overall and I ended up receiving around 2,180 grafts. Breakdown was 1 - 704; 2 - 1349; 3 - 127; Total - 2180 which is very very similar to my first FUT. Anyways, below are the pictures after the 10 month mark after FUT #1. I didn't take any pics of the scar because I didn't deem it necessary. I was easily getting away with a 3 guard without any hint at there being a scar.

IMG_5302.thumb.jpg.40583f64ccb52b166afff9548efe7c06.jpgIMG_5301.thumb.jpg.639456cd3661bf7eebac16d169ab9cfd.jpgIMG_5300.thumb.jpg.00a1bc5f4d42895423df6dcdc8faced2.jpgIMG_5298.thumb.jpg.e5169e4b552af26081a816b18d4b45dd.jpgIMG_5297.thumb.jpg.adf1aa39fab0cfea57151509ee34212f.jpgIMG_5296.thumb.jpg.a6317294e856cc4196c59737285d8cdb.jpgIMG_5295.thumb.jpg.1ea622a34d7b56e2bda80a395f23fd12.jpg

• Administrators

@harrylloyd

Thanks for coming back and giving us an update. As you mentioned, usually hair loss becomes a thing of the past once growth kicks in. Glad you came back, and I hope you’ll document your new journey here. Happy growing 🙂

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.