Surgeon missed a spot...

So first off... I'm an idiot and went to a bosley surgeon. Learned that lesson the hard way with the doctor treating me like I'm an idiot and the consultant just talking over me nonstop when I voice concerns.

Once I got home from surgery I noticed they missed a spot and called them. That same consultant told me "the Dr. doesn't normally miss a spot" which translates to "you're just a dumb patient and don't know what you're talking about.

So I went back in and he denied they missed a spot, but eventually admitted it after about 20 minutes of me showing him before and after pics.

Then he took a microscope camera out and told me I have hair there. Those little blonde hairs that I have literally all over my body. Then tried to tell me they would grow in with rogaine and finasteride use. I've had this same hairline since 19 and have been using my moles as placemarkers.

He just told me to come back in 10 months and then we'll decide what to do.

Left side looks a ok but pretty thin, right side is where they missed a spot and didn't blend a the hairline in or draw it correctly.

Mods please move this if I'm in the wrong forum. I'm still pretty new here.

Pics are 3 months and 2 weeks progress.

20180708_085832.jpg

20180708_085815.jpg

Edited by zachmonmon
3.5 months not 4.5

The problem isn't that he "missed a spot" (lmao) the growth is godawful, patchy and this is very likely a failed transplant.  A transplant from your position should be able to achieve a natural, full looking result that blends with the hair behind it will at this length.  It's only 4.5 months but this is shaping up to be nowhere even close to that. In the boat of negative cosmetic change and you would still need a number of grafts as someone as a similar norwood to yourself who hadn't had any surgery to begin with.

You're probably not entitled to a refund and they're likely to just entice you for more surgery being the marketers than they are if you wait our those next 10 months and get back to them. Better off looking elsewhere to competent surgeons such as the majority recommended on this website and doing further research, then getting another procedure.  Don't put yourself in the mentality that it's magically going to work out or waste energy dealing with Bosely because at this point you already played yourself and its better to take a more considered approach.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zachmonmon said:

Well he did indeed miss a spot. That's one of the problems. Yeah I also agree that the growth is pretty crap.

Also, also. I goofed on the timeline, its 3.5 months, not 4.5.

In that case big improvements are definitely possible, although realistically I haven't seen a single patient posted Bosely case that isn't a disaster or looks much better than yours does now tbh.

Would still definitely do some more research on proper surgeons and 100% don't spend another dollar or your donor at Bosely again. At least your starting position isn't too bad and a fix isn't difficult with a good surgeon.

Edited by JeanLDD

Thanks, and yeah I've been browsing recommended surgeons results on these forums since the drive home from the bosley assembly line. Don't really want that guy touching my head again.

I don't have much hope for my botched right side, but I'm hoping the left side might turn out almost ok.

You may want to consider filing a report against the surgeon via the medical board of the area you reside in.  

You definitely should get a refund if this result is terrible.  With Bosley they probably will not refund that’s why complaints are important not only to the med board but also to FTC for marketing f r a u d .  Take photos regularly to keep steady documentation.  I would not want this guy to touch my head or do a touch up if his attention to detail was so low the first attempt.  

Unbelievable those Bosley folks still have not learned, but it is up to you if you want to repair it later.  Repair is the worst thing a patient can go through.  Best of luck with everything.

@zachmonmon

Not to digress from your original post, but it’s interesting that I’ve been seeing a lot more Bosley commercials lately. And since they are pretty much the only ones or do I need to find a TV commercial advertising, I fear for how many people will end up liking. Now that doesn’t mean that some surgeons and technician at Bosley aren’t outstanding. But typically, surgeons with no experience start there and eventually, when they build  and impressive enough portfolio, they start their own practice and hire their own experienced technicians.    My biggest problem at Bosley is that you never know what you’re going to get when you go there. You might end up with an outstanding hair transplant and excellent results or you might not. 

Now, I can’t say whether they missed a spot of the grafts just didn’t grow there.   However, the good news is, you can always get a touch up procedure and get it fixed. In my opinion, I suggest consulting with one of our prescreen Hair Restoration surgeons who have a proven track record of producing excellent results. You can view many examples of each hair restoration surgeons results here on this forum or on their recommendation profiles.     At the top of the screen, you’ll see a button for “find a prescreen surgeon”.    Click that, And you can find a surgeon that best fits in suits your needs. 

Best wishes,

Bill

• Administrators

You’ve already been given great information. However, I will add my two cents, I think you should create a thread of your experience so that you could help other potential patients in the future. Providing your unbiased review is priceless to researching patients.  

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'd love to sympathize.....but man, you are negligent for going to Bosley. It's 2018...even a cursory search online would have been enough to steer you away. Luckily for you, you look to have some good caliber hair and I would assume you have plenty of donor hair left. Thus, you can learn from your mistakes and go to someone reputable who can easily fix you up no matter how your growth is with Bosley. I don't say that to make fun of you.....but I know hair loss is a big issue for us on this forum, I hate to see people tricked or get subpar work done. Sometimes you have to be honest and up front.

Bill, I am with you....I am seeing a lot more advertising from them and from other absolutely unqualified surgeons. I am in the Chicago area and I shudder when I hear these commercials because I know people fall for these clowns and their subpar results......yet who would ever know about doctors like Konior unless you did some searching because he absolutely does not advertise anywhere....nor do any of the other second tier surgeons here (who aren't top notch but who are definitely better than Bosley).

Edited by matt3480

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm def looking at the approved doctors from here now. I'll look at organizing my progress pics and making a thread in the other forum when I'm not on my phone.

Here's a picture 2 days post surgery you can see the spot they missed.

20180326_161026.jpg

Hard to know what goes through the minds of Bosely docs. 99% sure I could do a better job than this and that's not even a joke.

And yeah, obviously they missed that "spot" in particular but in terms of appropriate density it's about 30% of what a decent surgeon is doing so technically they missed a lot of spots. Be prepared for it to look very unnatural and for you to appear in a worse position than you were initially. There's no way this won't require a repair surgery.

Konior, Cooley, Hasson and Wong and Rahal are a few recommendations for US and Canadian docs for you (because even those approved here are at differing levels). Personally I would look at Rahal and Hasson n Wong both in Canada, I assume Bosely did a strip procedure so it's not a big deal doing another.

Edited by JeanLDD
  • Like 1

Zach, you may want to go go a skilled repair doctor that may be able to work on you ethically.  

Those that confidently work on repairs may be your best bet.  

You may want to send an email to Dr Wong of H&W to see what he says.  

• Administrators
On 7/16/2018 at 5:27 AM, Classygraftsindia said:

You can visit to India for better results at low prices.

This is not true, if you’re affiliated with a clinic we ask that you please state that in your forum signature, also please change your avatar to something non-promotional.

Warm Regards- Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Wait for how things grow out .: but honestly it’s not lookin natural at the moment .. n don’t cheap out on urself,; do ur research n get a clinic that cares about u n know what they doing ,. It’s embarassing if that clinic felt it was okay to give u that this gap of space.: 

• 2 weeks later...

Bosley doctors screwed a family member over.  Created two distinct large strip scars.  The work was not refined,  grafts did not seem to be placed utilizing lateral slit techniques.  To me, by talking to a Bosley rep and even seeing damage on few folks, it looks like they must be hiring novices or residents that want to do hair surgery.  Ive heard some of their surgeons seem to leave after a year or two or three.  

Sorry you had to go through this,  not saying this is the case here, but some docs purposely do incomplete surgery to get a patient back in the chair to do touchup and suggest more grafts for extra $$$ on purpose.  It is a marketing gimmick in some cases.  In any case, you should file complaint with FTC and the local med board, because clearly, there is an incomplete part of the goals probably discussed.  

Seems like an arrogant and negligent handling of you as a patient transpired.

Deeply sorry you had a first hand experience with the unsavory reputation of a hair mill.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016