Shaving the recipient with clippers 2 months post op

Hey,

So I'm 2 months post op FUE, and I shaved my back and sides myself with electric clippers. I accidentally went onto my recipient when I was fading/blending the cut in. At 2 months post op, is it ok to shaving the recipient? There seems to be some disagreement on this forum, with some saying you can't shaving the recipient for up 2 six months. Why is there such a divergence of opinion on this issue?

Thanks

• Administrators

I don’t know why someone would say you can’t trim the recipient for 6 months that sound extreme to say the least. The grafts shed around 3 weeks, at that point they are dormant under the dermis (surface layer) of the skin. I buzzed my head at around a month with absolutely no issues. At 2 months you can resume trimming your hair with clippers, the grafts can not be removed unless they’re surgically removed at 2 months. Now you want to avoid the sun for long periods of time for 6 months perhaps you’re confusing the two. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You can certainly trim the recipient area way sooner than six months. In fact, technically, you can trim the Natural hair in the recipient area right away however, you would have to be very careful to work around the grafts.   That said, I would suggest waiting at least a week to 10 days after hair transplant surgery to go to a barber.   Personally, I ended up shaving my donor area and any hair remaining in the recipient area two days after my hair transplant. I just had to be careful not to hurt the donor area wound or the newly transplanted hair. And I was just fine :-) 

Best wishes,

Bill

• 5 months later...
On 7/6/2018 at 6:50 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don’t know why someone would say you can’t trim the recipient for 6 months that sound extreme to say the least. The grafts shed around 3 weeks, at that point they are dormant under the dermis (surface layer) of the skin. I buzzed my head at around a month with absolutely no issues. At 2 months you can resume trimming your hair with clippers, the grafts can not be removed unless they’re surgically removed at 2 months. Now you want to avoid the sun for long periods of time for 6 months perhaps you’re confusing the two. 

Is it 1 month or 2 months that you can buzz your recipient area with clippers, sorry? I’m in the same situation (1month post-surgery) and don’t know what to do. I’d like to buzz it at 0.5 or 1 but don’t know if it’s 100% “safe”.

The real issue is that the surface of the scalp is completely healed with all scabbing and crusting removed...also be sure the clipper blades are not dull as you want a clean cut.

IMHO, it's not the time element that is the issue...it's the condition of the scalp and how well healed it is post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY