I fear to Shampoo my Hair !

Hi Guys !

I am 7 Months old my HT and still get paranoid thinking about this, and even otherwise in normal circumstances also I have this question. I always get Paranoid while shampooing my hair, that am I not rubbing it, massaging it too much ? will this make my hair break and then make it fall ? Am I doing it too much vigorously to rinse it, I think I gently massage it with my finger tips to create foam and then rinse it and wash it (But yes, sometimes it can get a little vigorous, but I don't know :)) but still I always get this feeling, always get Paranoid and fear to massage my hair while shampooing thinking what if it breaks my Hair ?

Can this exercise of washing hair and massaging to make the foam result in hair loss or something ? I know I sound Paranoid :) but still have a doubt so....

What do you guys think ?

It depends how thin ur hair is ,, if it’s thin cuz of mpb, then it’s more easily to break or get yanked off .. especially when it’s wet .. n if u have mpb then u probably losing more hair than u are able to grow back .. 

so yeah u should be gentle on ur hair .. n don’t dry ur hair with a towel too vigorously either , let it air dry .. 

also get silk pillow sheets .. u get less hair fall when u sleep .. every hair u have on ur head right now is precious .. think of each one as an 8$ graft .. 

2 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

It depends how thin ur hair is ,, if it’s thin cuz of mpb, then it’s more easily to break or get yanked off .. especially when it’s wet .. n if u have mpb then u probably losing more hair than u are able to grow back .. 

so yeah u should be gentle on ur hair .. n don’t dry ur hair with a towel too vigorously either , let it air dry .. 

also get silk pillow sheets .. u get less hair fall when u sleep .. every hair u have on ur head right now is precious .. think of each one as an 8$ graft .. 

Whoa ! With the Dramatic description, you did scare me !!

Would others here also echo the same thing ?

Edited by jooeey

I’m not talking about ur transplanted hair though .. those hairs are not dht affected and the grafts already took .. I’m referring to ur native hair ..

i have diffuse thinning .. so my hair falls out easier if I’m rough with it .. 

Hello Jooeey,

i'm about a week shy from 5 months post op and it's funny because i'm paranoid just like you, same thoughts mate.

i even try avoid touching my transplanted hair during the day, got UPF50 hat and when i shampoo my hair i got similar thoughts as you, but you know it's not good man, we need to learn to relax, the grafts are secure in their place since 10-20 days post op i guess so we don't need to stress out, it's not good to the hair also.

the thing i do is rubbing the shampoo to the hair at the donor area to create foam and then message the recipient area.

the thing i stressing out about now is choseing a natural shampoo, i don't know what to pick and about roller pin.

• Moderators

Everyone washes/shampoos their hair. Plenty of men with thick hair wash it every day. Unless you are in the first 2 weeks after a hair transplant surgery then wash and shampoo your hair normally and stop worrying about it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

BeHappy is correct...at this point in time post-op, you guys are fine to shampoo your hair normally.

Actually, it is a good idea to massage your scalp thoughout with shampoo, you are not going to damage your grafts and your grafts have already cycled into their respective growth phase by now.

Enjoy your new hair!...:D

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Guys,

It's a perfectly natural reaction to get the jitters when shampooing your newly acquired transplanted hair, I think I was very careful not to rub too hard or towel dry too hard for nearly 18 months. Even now.... nearly 4 years on I still try not to be too vigorous. But I do believe it's all psychological, once the hair has grown out you can treat it just like your other native hair, after all that is what it is.

Really?...18 months?...that's surprises me Shera but I guess all of us are extra careful when it comes to our own hair!...:x

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 minute ago, gillenator said:

Really?...18 months?...that's surprises me Shera but I guess all of us are extra careful when it comes to our own hair!...:x

You hit the nail on the head there sir, when you've managed to miraculously get your hair back you tend to treasure it a bit more than the first time around!

7 hours ago, Shera said:

You hit the nail on the head there sir, when you've managed to miraculously get your hair back you tend to treasure it a bit more than the first time around!

Exactly Shera ! That's exactly my feeling it is a newly acquired possession that I have got and I am feeling so blessed ! So privileged !! and that's the reason I wanna really treasure it !! But some would say there is a very thin line between treasuring it and getting obsessed and going mad about it !! :D

But seriously guys so after 7 months even shampooing it daily and no matter how gently or vigorously you massage your head to create foam and to rinse it ! It does not make any difference because massaging happens on the surface and hair roots are well rooted below the scalp right guys that's what you are saying ?

Edited by jooeey

10 hours ago, Shera said:

spot on mate.