Sports Stars and the Ugly Ducking Stage

So, the ugly duckling stage typically runs between the 2nd and 5th month after the transplant. My question is, how do Premier League/La Liga etc. footballers and managers get away with it? Plenty have it done but I have never seen one in the ugly duckling phase. I also wonder how they manage to play football outside when they are supposed to avoid the sun for the first 6 months. Any opinion on this?

• Like 1

Most players will have their transplants during the summer. You will have seen David Silva shave his head all season, Rooney did the same. Fabregas just had his hairline and temples strengthened I believe using the no shave technique and he just carried on through the ugly duckling stage. Bilic was there at the sidelines at West Ham showing his progress  until his unfortunate departure.

The sun in the UK is not strong enough to cause any Premier League players problems and the season ends in May. As for La Liga, not sure which players you refer to but the possibility of playing in the sun is far greater although I would say 6 months is a bit overkill.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if Bale gets his crown addressed this summer, with no football over the summer it's an ideal time for him to get it sorted whilst all eyes are on the World Cup.

• Like 1

You think Silva has had one done? I am not sure. I agree they get it done over the summer but there is never any ugly duckling phase. Fabregas' at the very least should have been noticeable as it was the front part of his head. Bale could keep his man bun to hide the crown if he got work done there but to be honest, it is harder to spot when it is the back of the head. I wonder if any of them ever have FUT or if it is just FUE for the sporting elite.

• Like 1

Yes, I thought it was fairly obvious with the redness around his forehead at the beginning of last season that Silva had it done. Just google "David Silva hair" and check out the images.

As for FUE/FUT, due to the limited time they get and the need to quickly get back into intensive pre-season training I would say that probably rules out FUT.

• Like 1

Ahhh yes. Just Google imaged it. So you think he shaved it this season to hide the result until it is at maximum density then he will just regrow it again? Not really an option for me as I want to do FUT. I still think I am yet to see a footballer in the ugly duckling stage though. Getting it done at the start of the summer break and then having 8-12 weeks off (assuming no World Cup/continental cup like the Euros or Copa America) should mean they are back in the public eye right in the middle of the most awkward phase of the procedure.

• Like 1

David Silva would have used the shaven head to disguise the transplant as will most players to hide the ugly duckling stage. I'm not sure what the story is with Beckham but I can recall him having the shaven look shortly after there were signs of him maybe thinning. Just keep it short for 5 months and then let it grow out gradually keeping the native hair uniform with the new hair growing out. I actually used the same tactic and advise most patients to do so too.

Edited by Shera
  • Like 1

Yeah I was thinking of doing this actually. Cutting it down to the lowest number that still covers the scar and then just leaving it like that for 5-6 months. I am not sure why other people don't do this themselves and seems logical to me. I just assumed that I was missing something.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Slaven Bilic was pretty obvious, his results look decent. I think he would look 100% if he used a bit of toppik. Fabregas was quite obvious as well, I think he got it 16/17 season. He used concealer to disguise it as well. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

23 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Yeah I was thinking of doing this actually. Cutting it down to the lowest number that still covers the scar and then just leaving it like that for 5-6 months. I am not sure why other people don't do this themselves and seems logical to me. I just assumed that I was missing something.

Hi TrixGlendevon,

You have to ask your possible doctor / clinic, but if you are considering a Strip procedure, maybe you can use some concealer on the scar a few weeks after the procedure in case you wish to cut your hair shorter on donor area.

Regarding football players, and as you said, many of them use the shaven head look to disguise their procedures, but that's only valid with FUE technique.

Regards,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gunny said:

Shera,

I see you mention the no shave technique for FUE.  Can you suggest any surgeons in the US who offer this procedure.  Thanks

Hi Gunny,

I would expect most of the US surgeons recommended on this site will offer the no shave technique for smaller procedures of approximately less than 2000 grafts. It really depends on your balding pattern, e.g. a small crown procedure or a small adjustment to the hairline or temples can be covered by longer surrounding hair.

Anything bigger than this starts to get messy, and time consuming so you will see the costs rise. Surgeons prefer a blank shaved canvas for larger procedures or procedures where a larger mass is to be covered. Also a larger no shave procedure will be a styling nightmare, its better to go down the shaven route.

• Like 1