Balding Hairstyle VS. Transplant Hairstyle

Hello friends.

Getting my procedure done in two months. So excited.

I'm a NW4 inching towards a NW5 and I decided to go with 2000 FUE grafts. I realize I won't have a full head of hair after this procedure but I am confident in my doctor and I would rather do two lesser-invasive procedures than embrace strip. Just a personal choice. Furthermore I have been blown away by what 2000 grafts, in the right hands (and on the right heads) can do! so fingers crossed I'm one of the lucky ones.

Two questions for you kind folks.

- When you are severely balding, it is arguably better to cut your hair uniformly v short rather than letting the sides grow long. But when you get a Hair Transplant, am I wrong in assuming that you DO want to grow out your hair to ensure maximum coverage? For example,  when I get 2000 grafts in my frontal/mid-scalp, will it benefit me to grow that portion out to give the impression of more coverage in the areas that were not addressed in my procedure? I guess I am subtly hinting at that horrid "C" word... "combover"... I wouldn't necessarily comb over- but I am curious as to just how far transplanted hair can go in "filling out" the unattended portions of the scalp.

- Will it look weird to have 2000 grafts implanted in my frontal area but ignore the rest of the head (mainly the crown and some of the mid-scalp) ? how do most people manage this? I am slightly nervous that I'll have really good hair at the front of my head and then this bald patch smack in the middle. Any thoughts?

Thanks as always.

HH

• Administrators

Can you post pictures? its hard to say without really knowing the severity of the hair loss. Most of the time guys assume they're NW4 when in reality they are closer to 6. This makes a big difference in terms of styling.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Your pattern looks like Norwood 5A, your sides appear high and the crown has t expanded yet. Although, I suspect it will in the future. I wouldn’t expect 2,000 grafts to cover the front and midscalp. 2,000 grafts should rebuild the hairline. You still have a decent amount of hair in the middle to work with. Plus toppik should really give you the boost you need. An additional 1,500 grafts in the midscalp should help in the future. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

no need to be worried as long as you're dealing with a reputable HT surgeon. I've had 3 FUE procedures over the last 5 years. Like you, the first was to address the frontal zone, then my mid-scalp, then finally the crown area last year. The biggest cosmetic difference comes from restoring your hairline and frontal zone. As long as the design is appropriate for your age, suits your face, is not too low, etc. - this will frame your face and immediately give you an improved appearance. Of course you will not have the same density in the mid-scalp, but it will not look odd or strange with the correct hairstyle. Best of luck to you. 

Edited by home1212

• Administrators

You will definitely be much better off 2,000 grafts is a solid hairline, I found that combing the hair back and to the side provided the best appearance of fullness.

View my thread

Hi, ive been doing a few videos for Dr Bhatti on styling transplanted hair thinning hair etc, i'm a barber in england my personal opinion like melvin said keeping the hair slightly to the side and back will definatly help with the full thicker look, i would say finding the right lengh to where it doesnt look to much a comb over as such.. But gives a good enough coverage on the less dense areas.. 2000 garfts in the front for you would be amazing.. Finding the right length by going though it with your barber is key, bit of toppik into the less dense areas and your on your way... Good luck mate ✌✌✌ need any advice styling hair cut of what products to use give me a shout ?

Oh and another thing take the side down to a number 2 or 3 just reallys emphasizes the top transplanted area ?

Edited by Barberman1986