Hi everyone,

I just had a procedure with Dr Konior this week and everything went well. But I’m now Day3 of the post op and getting a lot of swelling. Almost like I have been Ina boxing match with Floyd mayweather lol. I have heard this is common but I actually went back to work today and was wondering if the swelling had hampered anyone from working as well. I feel like from where I was this afternoon and to tonight my eyes are getting more closed when I look in. The mirror. What an I do to lessen this impact and will it majorly affect my work? I have a delay job butt just more worried that my eyes will close up?

Many clinics advise to use ice packs on the forehead immediately following the procedure because once the swelling manifests, there's is not much if anything that can be done to reduce it.

Much of this post-op swelling is related to the fluids that are injected into the scalp and the effects of gravity pull the fluids down into the forehead area.

You should start to see this subside after 3-5 days.

I also say congrats on your recent procedure...happy growing!...:)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies guys.  You were correct the swelling did go down. The swelling is starting to go down but I know that lasts for a while.  I am now 2 weeks down , just hoping for a great result ? But I am still a long ways out.

• Administrators

Hi Haircali,

welcome to our forum, you have already been given excellent information, but I would like to chime in as well. Most of the time you are given a steroid to help with the swelling. You can ask your clinic about this I’d you were not given a steroid. Additionally, by placing a band around your head this keeps the swelling from dropping down to your face this can be helpful. Best wishes 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

My guess is that the swelling has greatly subsided by now?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

@gillenator that is correct it went away after a few days just as you mentioned ?. I am now 3 weeks post op and have the dry scans in the recipient area.  Dr. k mentioned to use aloe Vera gel or lotion to help and also as of a couple of days ago that it’s fine that the water from the shower head hits directly to the recipient area.  Anything else help others in this stage of post op to get rid of the dryness?  I am using the baby shampoo as I have the last few weeks

An enriched aloe vera cream will greatly help to cool the scalp and reduce inflammation.

It also helps to use a herbal based shampoo/crème rinse at this point in time post-op.

You are going on 4 weeks post-op so I agree that normal shampooing by massaging the scalp and removing the crusts is a good idea.

Gillenator

On 7/8/2018 at 11:10 PM, Haircali1 said:

@gillenator that is correct it went away after a few days just as you mentioned ?. I am now 3 weeks post op and have the dry scans in the recipient area.  Dr. k mentioned to use aloe Vera gel or lotion to help and also as of a couple of days ago that it’s fine that the water from the shower head hits directly to the recipient area.  Anything else help others in this stage of post op to get rid of the dryness?  I am using the baby shampoo as I have the last few weeks

@Haircali1 Did you figure out something that's working for your dry scalp? I'm also having the same issue. I'm thinking of applying a mix of coconut oil and apple cider vinegar on the scalp for one hour before showering.

I agree coconut oil is a good product to use as well.

@Haircali1 I used Aveeno products and Acure (organic hydrating shampoo), and Aubrey Organic Chia Shampoo....all can be purchased at Amazon.

@harrylloyd I never used Johnson baby shampoo because of the large amount of chemical additives...if you read the label ingredients, you will see what I mean.

Gillenator

I've been using coconut oil and it's not helping at all. I put it on and leave it in for an hour before showering. I think I may switch to spraying a 1:1 mixture of water and apple cider vinegar 10 mins before showering and see how that works for a week.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, Haircali1 said:

@gillenator what are the harmful ingredients in the Johnson brand?

Just read the label...lots of chemicals...:(

Gillenator

On 7/13/2018 at 11:26 PM, harrylloyd said:

I've been using coconut oil and it's not helping at all. I put it on and leave it in for an hour before showering. I think I may switch to spraying a 1:1 mixture of water and apple cider vinegar 10 mins before showering and see how that works for a week.

I've had lots of success with Apple Cider Vinegar over the years. I've always had a particularly dry scalp and it's also very sensitive. In addition to avoiding certain products that I've found I'm allergic to, I will use ACV in the shower when I have a particularly dry/flakey spell and it typically clears it up by the next morning. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 7/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, pkipling said:

I've had lots of success with Apple Cider Vinegar over the years. I've always had a particularly dry scalp and it's also very sensitive. In addition to avoiding certain products that I've found I'm allergic to, I will use ACV in the shower when I have a particularly dry/flakey spell and it typically clears it up by the next morning. 

I started using ACV diluted 1:1 with water and sprayed it 20 mins before showering and I felt it helped a bit but my scalp is still dry after a full week. Not sure what else to do here. I'll try doing coconut oil overnight and see along with the ACV to see if that helps.

Harrylloyd, the way I used the coconut oil spray was to spray it on after the shower not before.  And I did this twice a day, after about 4-5 days the major dry ness was gone and after a week it was all gone

I have a steroid that my dermatologist gave me for when the ACV doesn’t help, but I try to use it very sparingly. It does work like magic though. I try to use really gentle products and can’t let the products build up on my scalp for more than 2 days, which means I have to wash it very frequently. Those are the patterns that I’ve noticed that help me keep the dryness/flakiness away. 

And unfortunately, my dermatologist said there’s no cure for this, I just have to keep finding ways to prevent it, and then treat it accordingly when I do have a flare up. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56