Fuck strip scars!!! Why did i ever!

I'm having a little vent sorry for the vulgar language in the title. I am just livid right now that I got a horrific scar on the back of my head for life.

I just had another FUE and I can see the severity of the heinous cut. I even had FUE beard grafts put into it by Dr. Bhatti but they are not near enough to make it covered after 5 days shaved. But it is better than it was so beard grafts can hide it somewhat. The skin is also indented inward, not sure if that is a normal closure or not..

My FUE I just got is already healed and the donor if fine. But gonna take weeks to cover this thing. What kills me much is my head looks good shaved and since I'm continuing to lose hair possible, I will never be able to just shave to one guard.

I am going to look into going to a great FUT doctor later to see if I can get a better scar. The so-called "pencil thin scar"... is what I hope to achieve and then FUE into that and SMP. Then just maybe I can shave my head in the future.

My advice to people is DO NOT GET A FUT TRANSPLANT. Start with FUE and if the donor runs out completely and you still want hair, then you can get a FUT..

The young guys are lucky the FUE is so perfected now and you can forgo FUT. Don't let a doctor tell you it's a pencil-thin scar. Just look at my scar courtesy of a Coalition doctor on this site.

These photos are after 4 days from a shave. And beard grafts in the scar 3 years ago.

IMG_2497.thumb.jpg.3f88a14e4fc6c3718940fc8ce875e22a.jpg

IMG_2498.thumb.jpg.42d0680a8cff54b8ee18056c1c3deef4.jpg

Edited by densedream

I tend to agree with this, scroll through even recent FUTs or those who have previously had one on this forum and somewhere in the range of 5-10% of scars would be unacceptable to the average person. Constant issues with those having very bad shockloss around the scar also, rendering the donor management case a moot point. This isn't an issue with any specific surgeon either, its fundamentally a riskier surgery than FUE and even the best of surgeons have had bad scars, its not simply risking recipient results but repairs and a donor that can no longer be used.

Unless you're well aware of the risks and are a high norwood case (6-7) or have a well below average donor it's hard to justify FUT at this point. Especially when Lorenzo and Erdogan are successfully moving 6000 grafts and beyond via FUE on a consistent basis without visibly depleting donors most should avoid or at the very least be well aware of potential consequences. The answer to who NEEDS to do FUT to achieve their desired results at this point is few and far between.

• Administrators

Sorry you’re dissatisfied with your scar, unfortunately scarring is unpredictable. With that said, your situation can definitely be improved your beard looks dense, may possibly want to transplant some beard hair in to the scar.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Already put beard hair into the scar Melvin. scar was almost cm wide and indented in. In a few weeks my hair will grow over it. Just sucks that the option of shaving my head is forever ruined by my dumb choice of FUT. DON'T DO IT PEOPLE.

• Administrators
Melvin. Do you know why some scars get indented like that? fortunately my scar is almost flush with my scalp

Unfortunately, scarring can be unpredictable and how your scar looks is largely dependent on your physiology. For this reason, not everyone is a great FUT candidate and vice versa.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I'm sorry that you are upset. However, I thought everyone getting FUT would know you could never shave your head clean after FUT...? or atleast get FUE and SMP put into it.

It is a little wider than I would be happy with, but it should be covered once your hair grows out... no?

That’s the thing with Fut.. even though the scar incision is supposedly pencil thin .. the shock loss of native hairs around the scar , makes it a lot wider than it should be , N the skin stretching and the worse part the indentation of the scar , making the scalp bumpy around the scar area is the worse .. makin it hard to hide with a buzz cut ..

Its but obvious after getting FUT, you just can't shave your head! No matter what scar will show!

As long as you don’t cut your hair very short, the narrow scar is usually completely camouflaged within your hair!

So stop blaming FUT!

• Like 1

Fut is still a great procedure that has shown great results.. but come on , that indentation of the scar , u don’t think his options r limited later in life ? It’s going to be very hard to cover an indentation that bumpy , especially when he needs more transplants later in life n have less donor hair to cover it up ..

Sorry to hear how unhappy you are with this, and I agree that it isn't the most ideal strip scar. As Melvin pointed out, how a scar heals has a lot to do with our own physiology, and there's no way to know for certain how it will end up. As with any surgical procedure, there are always risks involved. Even with the most ideal scar though, I don't think you should expect to shave down to a 1 guard. Hopefully once the hair grows longer, the scar won't be noticeable at all and you'll just have to get used to a slightly different/longer hair style than you were used to. It'll just take a little time to adjust to it.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my hair 25 days after shaving. So near 1/2inch.  Fuking hell.  Looks like absolute shit.   Hope Hasson and Wong can sort me out a little better.  The doctor that did this clearly doesn't sew well.  I was told by Dr. Larwong that I have plenty of scalp laxity.   Careful who you allow to slice your head open folks.

IMG_2672.JPG

• Administrators

Sorry to hear about your disappointment dense dream, have you sent these pictures to Hasson and Wong? What did they have to say?

View my thread

Yeah I just filled out an online consult.  Probably hear back in a few days.  I have no doubt they can do a better job.  The indentation is bc it was closed too tight.  After my first FUT,  I had a great scar that I could barely find so I know it's not a physiology thing.  I just want to be able to wear my hair at 1/2  to 1 inch without the dent shaping the hair.   I'm confident I will get it fixed.  Just more money to spend..  

Densed Dream,

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience however, your advice really isn’t good in general. With respect, most people who undergo  follicular  unit strip surgery wind up with a tiny, pencil thin scar that is virtually undetectable even with short hair on the sides and back of the scalp. Yes, there are always possibilities of wider stars and even score stretching however, the best strategy to date is still to undergo follicular unit strip surgery until you have no more  donor left and then switch to follicular unit excision (FUE) -  formerly follicular unit extraction.  

During FUE, the surrounding hair follicles are sometimes damaged during the extraction process.   Therefore, if someone were to undergo FUE first, too many grafts may be damaged when the strip is harvested during FUSS.   

Again, I feel for your situation however, like many others who have undergone surgery with less than ideal results, you have tunnel vision. You think because you experience something bad, that all people will have the same experience.   This is simply not the case. Look at the hundreds/thousands of patients who have come through here sharing strip results that are outstanding.   Only a small fraction of the results shared over the years are negative in comparison. 

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 1

Yes I agree that I'm gonna be more vocal bc my negative experience.  But there are more than just a few that have also had bad results with a scar.  (Mine was with a coalition doc as well)  So there is no guarantee.  But in my opinion, a FUE is a better option if you have even a 10% chance you might want to shave your head in the future.  As we know, hair loss is progressive and unpredictable.  Having a ear to ear scar eliminates the option if things don't work out in your favor. 

I know FUT works and gives great results to most people if you choose a doctor from this site.  But in 10-20 years who is gonna keep losing hair and want the option to shave it.   At least with FUE you can wear hair at 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and look pretty normal.   Anyways it's my opinion and I would warn anybody to think it through before getting a FUT.  There is a reason FUE is now the surgery of choice.  

However, I will change the title of this post since it's a bit extreme and I wrote out of anger.   edit  can we not edit older post anymore?

Also edit.  I don't believe most are pencil thin.  I always wonder what that meant.  The width of an actual pencil?  or the line a pencil draws?   A quick google image search shows otherwise. ( sorry, I had to remove the link because it somehow messing up the format of the community )

I realize that there have been other people who have gotten a less than optimal scar but percentage wise, there are more people with thinner scar than  there are with a wider scar.  Also, you are right, there is no guarantee. But I assume you knew that when you signed paperwork  at the clinic before surgery.  

And have you spoken  with your strip surgeon? Did you show him pictures of your scar?   What did he have to say? 

Bill

Oh and “pencil thin” is just an expression but it’s not referring to the actual width of a pencil. It’s a metaphor that refers to the line drawn by a sharp pencil.   Especially with today’s Treichel for the clothes your technique, stars usually are very thin and sometimes completely undetectable because of the hair that has grown through it.  

Bill

Densedream:

Scar revision is a real option for you I feel, I hope you'll go to a reputable surgeon to do that.

I've had three FUT's, two with Dr. Gabel, who improved the scar from my first time, and regularly adjusts and improves patient scars received from procedures with other doctors.

Please look into doing that with a well vetted surgeon, I think it will do wonders for your scar.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• Hans - Webmaster changed the title to Fuck strip scars!!! Why did i ever!
16 minutes ago, densedream said:

Certainly choosing only the best for this.  Hasson and Wong is #1 for me right now just bc I have been seeing their results for years.  Always stellar.  

True, they have an excellent reputation and i always feel comfortable when people choose them.

As you well know, there are only a handful of doctors out there who actually should be touching any of us.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Yeah, the coalition list is not created equally.  It's impossible for it to be.  But I understand this site is a business first and not a charity.  It is the best site for patients in existence however.  But patients should be aware that you can't just choose anyone on the list and get great results.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 8:03 AM, JeanLDD said:

Constant issues with those having very bad shockloss around the scar also, rendering the donor management case a moot point.

This has been discussed extensively on these forums.

Greater donor depletion with FUE and lower yields are generally recognized issue. I have heard this stated to me in person by both Konior and Cooley, who both have a strong track record with both procedures. The limited studies comparing the two that I've seen are also uniform about this point (unless there's been a new study I haven't read). 

Those are essentially the only reasons anyone would do FUT over FUE (outside of cost). I have my procedure scheduled in a few months with a surgeon who is comfortable with both and am still constantly going back and forth about the issue. I'm a Norwood 3/early v at 38 ears and have been on Avodart for the last 5 years. I anticipate greater loss down the line, especially if I discontinue Avodart when for having children, and am not sure if I should 'burn the ships', as it were.

Ultimately, there is no clear cut answer until after the fact, and even then there is uncertainty.

OP: I feel your pain. If you could let us know who the surgeon was it would be deeply appreciated.