Looks like I'm good to go :)

several reasons:  it's cheaper, more density per cm squared than FUE, I have curly hair and don't wear my hair short, therefore the donor scar won't be noticed , even though it's microthin. With fut, you retain full density in donor region, with FUE, the donor site will be permanently less dense.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I am exactly 3 months post op and I have some new hair coming through. More so on my left side though. I do still have some original stubble that has not shed , so giving that additional time. I will try to post some pics this weekend if I have time. I have a long way to go for sure but being patient. I'm really trying not to check it daily as that can definitely drive one crazy. 

Chow for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a current pick 3 months and 11 days post op. This is the part that can be frustrating as I look worse than prior to the transplant. I had quite a bit of shock loss in the recipient area. Hair is coming through nicely though and my left side (your right) is more dense. My right (your left) is lagging but I heard this is common. My right frontal hairline strip did not suffer shock loss and actually is hair from a previous transplant 10 years ago. You can also clearly see some red dots and i guess that's a good sign revealing additional hair popping through , I think. I am really tired of having to try to camouflage the recipient area, its quite a chore but I must stay positive and keep my fingers crossed that there is hair at the end of the tunnel. Arocha said I will be amazed at the before and afters 8 months post op. So, just 5 months to go :)382006905_13weekspostop014.thumb.JPG.e739b526319defa95e0065a7aa37f167.JPG

8 minutes ago, hanginginthewire said:

What was your Norwood pattern? 

I suspected my nw scale was  around a 4 but asked Arocha at my consultation. If I remember correctly I think he said 5/6 which I was shocked to hear since I have thick and somewhat curly hair. My sides are very thick and high , so the balding doesn't appear to be as bad as it is. Maybe I was in denial . Arocha stated that after the transplant I would be a 3.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, made2care said:

I suspected my nw scale was  around a 4 but asked Arocha at my consultation. If I remember correctly I think he said 5/6 which I was shocked to hear since I have thick and somewhat curly hair. My sides are very thick and high , so the balding doesn't appear to be as bad as it is. Maybe I was in denial . Arocha stated that after the transplant I would be a 3.

Thanks.  Are you planning a third transplant? 

Also - why does FUT provide more density per cm squared? 

Edited by hanginginthewire

14 minutes ago, hanginginthewire said:

Thanks.  Are you planning a third transplant? 

Also - why does FUT provide more density per cm squared? 

Actually, I don't think I'm a 6. I have some balding in the crown but not enough to be a 6. I personally think I'm around a 4. I do plan on having my crown done but I'm going to wait a while on that.

on the fut question I read that somewhere where it had to do with the groupings but what do I know.

Edited by made2care
Forgot to answer 2nd part
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, made2care said:

Actually, I don't think I'm a 6. I have some balding in the crown but not enough to be a 6. I personally think I'm around a 4. I do plan on having my crown done but I'm going to wait a while on that.

on the fut question I read that somewhere where it had to do with the groupings but what do I know.

If you were a 6, would you stil have pursued transplants?  

7 minutes ago, hanginginthewire said:

If you were a 6, would you stil have pursued transplants?  

Let me back up a bit here. 10 years ago I rushed into a transplant. I was thinning in the front but had a full head of hair everywhere else. I chose the closest doc who was just a dermatologist in okc. Dr Blaine Lehr who no longer does HT's. I just paid $3 a graft and basically got what I paid for. Results where sub par. Fast forward to 2017 and noticed my hair in front, on top and crown thinning drastically. I then decided to have a second ht , this time researching way more. 

I chose Arocha in Houston and felt comfortable with the consultation and procedure. 

To answer your question, I still would have had a ht at a 6 since I've always had great hair and the thought of going bald was not an option. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

good luck with this, i hope you get a great result, Dr Arocha seems to do good work, as for the question you asked about fin, i've personally been taking it for years with no side effects that I'm aware of, I hope you jumped on it.

5 hours ago, Kiwi Guy said:

good luck with this, i hope you get a great result, Dr Arocha seems to do good work, as for the question you asked about fin, i've personally been taking it for years with no side effects that I'm aware of, I hope you jumped on it.

Well at 5 months his work is showing. Just keep on growing, I'm looking forward to the end result. I am back on finisteride and so far, no side effects.

25 minutes ago, made2care said:

Well at 5 months his work is showing. Just keep on growing, I'm looking forward to the end result. I am back on finisteride and so far, no side effects.

good for you, arocha is on my short list of prospective ht surgeons so will be following your progress.

Dr. Arocha has developed advanced techniques that allow for great density in a single procedure.  Think of a 3 dimensional drawing. It is truly unbelievable.

With regards to the shampoo, and I am very much aware of TSA and their antics, you can use baby shampoo.  I am surprised to hear the crusts were up there for 3 weeks.  Typically after 7 days you can scrub all that off.  I realize how some patients are quite gingerly about this.  You've just spent X amount of money and do not want to harm anything.  The fact is, grafts are under the skin and you will not harm anything after the 7 days.  I am curious, did you do PRP at the time of the procedure?  This will typically help reverse the miniaturization of the native hair and will help grafts come in sooner.  

With regards to Propecia, I have been on it for 20+ years.  No issues.  And, if you never did experience anything, you never will.  Generally, and most believe, that there is more testosterone with the medication than without.  When I take it I think of it as a "benefit" to me.  If you start thinking negative about it, for whatever reason, something will come up eventually, at which point you will blame the med for whatever you are experiencing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Looking good man 🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks. More hair is coming through as well. I'm very excited that I can style it now. Dr Arocha informed me by the 8th month I would notice a huge difference, his precise words were, " you will be amazed". So at 6 months I'm a little ahead of the game !

thanks again for the compliments.

I do have this style going forward , so there is some length from mid section covering frontal region . I will get a pic posted of all the hair combed back , to reveal that. With all that being said, there is no way I could have styled my hair this way without a hair transplant!

Edited by made2care
Grammatical correction

Hair combed back. I'm 6 months and 10 days out. Still have very small stubble on right side that has lay dormant for quite some time. left side is good. Called my doc about a month ago and he assured me the stubble would grow. the hair is slightly damp in pic below. 459419506_hair6month009.thumb.JPG.f9ee64abdb469da8d243703c73dbd0b4.JPGred me t