Looks like I'm good to go :)

I just chatted (by face time) with Dr. Arocha out of Houston and man, what a nice guy ! He answered all my questions and I will soon be hopping on a plane to Houston.

Thanks to everyone here for helping me find the right surgeon. I will keep you updated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 4:51 PM, UKLad81 said:

All the best buddy! I’ve seen quite a few of Dr. Arocha’s results and they look great. You’ll be just fine! Good luck!

Thank you. Getting closer to my surgery date. I'm hopeful this doc will do a better job than the last surgery . Here is a before.

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

Edited by made2care
To add pics

3 minutes ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Made2care,

I’m sorry if I missed it but who is your surgeon  for your last surgery and your upcoming surgery? 

best wishes,

Bill

Dr Blaine Lehr ( dermatologist in Oklahoma City, no longer does transplants) did a 2000 fut in frontal region. No problems, just not dense enough. This was 10 years ago. My 2nd surgery will be with dr Arocha ( Houston).

• Administrators

You're choosing a quality doctor congrats:)

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Okay, flew down to Houston today and met with Dr Arocha for my in person consultation. Immediately had a good feeling about this guy. Very easy to talk to and explained in a realistic way , a game plan suited best for my situation . I'm going in tomorrow at 7:30 am for my surgery to restore my frontal region. I will keep you updated.

Okay, Dr Arocha and his team did amazing work today 2700 fut procedure. I really appreciated the detailed communication throughout the entire process. Team was constantly asking me how I felt and too me, that's professionalism at its height. This doctor is extremely passionate about his work and it shows. Our enjoyed our historical discussions and wish we had more time for

further dialogue. The tech girls were very observant of my needs and also would not hesitate to ask if I was okay and if I needed anything. Overall, I would fly down to Houston indefinitely, to discuss further options we outlined and be proactive to achieve those options.

here is my post pic same day revealing frontal region.

IMG_2260.JPG

2 hours ago, newpatient99 said:

^

Congratulations on your surgery. Were you provided with any kind of post op kit that includes a spray and shampoo? 

I was, however, since I had to board a flight back home, the special shampoo had to be left behind. I was instructed to rinse my hair daily using baby shampoo with no scrubbing. As far as a spray, there was no mention of that in their post op instructions but I believe on the 3rd day, I can apply a zinc based ointment which is also used to treat donor scar site. Not relevant to your question but I might add that I tend to swell pretty horrifically in the forehead after these surgeries. Nothing helps, ice, elevation all to no avail so I'm currently dealing with that which is a little inconvenient since I can't go anywhere until it subsides but hey, a slight sacrifice for new hair so no complaints on this end, just mild venting to get me through .

9 hours ago, made2care said:

I was, however, since I had to board a flight back home, the special shampoo had to be left behind. I was instructed to rinse my hair daily using baby shampoo with no scrubbing. As far as a spray, there was no mention of that in their post op instructions but I believe on the 3rd day, I can apply a zinc based ointment which is also used to treat donor scar site. Not relevant to your question but I might add that I tend to swell pretty horrifically in the forehead after these surgeries. Nothing helps, ice, elevation all to no avail so I'm currently dealing with that which is a little inconvenient since I can't go anywhere until it subsides but hey, a slight sacrifice for new hair so no complaints on this end, just mild venting to get me through .

Excuse my ignorance but why couldn't you take the special shampoo with you?

I also had a HT with Dr. Arocha in January. Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one that wasn't offered the spray, however I wasn't even offered the special shampoo lol. When I scheduled my surgery, I was emailed post op instructions that mentioned a post op kit that included a special shampoo and a spray. Right after my surgery, I was still out of it from the meds so I wasn't really in the right mind to ask questions, but the only post op instructions was to not get my hair wet, come back the next day for a check up and to be shown how to wash my hair.

The next day when I came in for the check up, I asked about the shampoo and spray but was told I wouldn't need it and was given ointment to apply to the donor area. When I asked what kind of shampoo should I use, they told me any shampoo was fine. I only used baby shampoo because just about every doctor on this forum recommended it.

I had swelling too, but that was my fault because I would end up sleeping flat on my back in the middle of the night after trying to sleep sitting up. But the swelling went away after a couple of days.

28 minutes ago, newpatient99 said:

Excuse my ignorance but why couldn't you take the special shampoo with you?

I also had a HT with Dr. Arocha in January. Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one that wasn't offered the spray, however I wasn't even offered the special shampoo lol. When I scheduled my surgery, I was emailed post op instructions that mentioned a post op kit that included a special shampoo and a spray. Right after my surgery, I was still out of it from the meds so I wasn't really in the right mind to ask questions, but the only post op instructions was to not get my hair wet, come back the next day for a check up and to be shown how to wash my hair.

The next day when I came in for the check up, I asked about the shampoo and spray but was told I wouldn't need it and was given ointment to apply to the donor area. When I asked what kind of shampoo should I use, they told me any shampoo was fine. I only used baby shampoo because just about every doctor on this forum recommended it.

I had swelling too, but that was my fault because I would end up sleeping flat on my back in the middle of the night after trying to sleep sitting up. But the swelling went away after a couple of days.

TSA will only allow liquid 3.5 ounces or less. Arocha' post op kit included a very large bottle of special shampoo rinse , therefore could not take it with me. No spray but a good supply( small packets) of ointment. Right after the surgery they rinsed my transplant and donor site since I bled slightly more than average. Their post op instructions were emailed to me a week prior to the surgery. Included were suggestions on rinsing the hair each day paying attention to not scrub . The donor site however can be lathered gently horizontally.  

Im very careful just using a cup to rinse per their instructions. I woke up this morning and my swelling is very bad but I expected it. 

Onto some other info, I'm going to get back on finisteride. I'm really at the stage in my life that I don't want to continue losing hair and this drug is the "gold standard" in preventing hair loss. Arocha also promoted this game plan. 

Well I would take a pic of my swelling and post it but I'm afraid someone will dial 911 for me so I will wait. 

Chow for now everyone:)

^

When I spoke with Dr. Arocha's assistants regarding the spray, I was told they carry the spray but only less than 1% of their patients actually use it and it's completely unnecessary which is why they didn't even offer it to me.

13 minutes ago, newpatient99 said:

^

When I spoke with Dr. Arocha's assistants regarding the spray, I was told they carry the spray but only less than 1% of their patients actually use it and it's completely unnecessary which is why they didn't even offer it to me.

Makes sense. 

Okay, it's day 5 post op and my swelling appears to be subsiding but it's still quite profound. My wife is freaking out !! I assured her that it will pass , however it takes time. 

Meanwhile, since I've been home bound I have had time to further research finisteride. Interestingly enough , there have been many lawsuits against Merck for degenerative life changing side effects, some of which Merck denies even exists. 

Anyone bold enough out there to admit they have been taking this drug religiously for many years with little to no side effects and proven hair results they wanted?

Well, I'm 10 days post op and my swelling is virtually a thing of the past. The 4th day had the worst swelling for me. Here is a before and after. 

I will also note that I called Dr Arocha's clinic on the 4th day with additional questions and he called me back the same day helping me with those questions. Very professional and stated that" we are here for you" if I had any further concerns. He also assured me that the swelling will lessen and that it's not something to be concerned about.

The first pic is current, next 2 were day 4,5

• 2 weeks later...

Almost 3 weeks post op and my scalp is almost scab free. I have had quite a bit of native hairs fall out around the recipient site but no transplanted hairs have shed yet. Donor scar is healing nicely. Keep telling myself to have patience as I've quite a bit of time in front before I see results.

ist pic is current. No scabs but skin is red. Next pic was about 7 days post op.

I might also mention that my hair is naturally grey and therefore the transplanted hair cannot really be seen.

IMG_2350.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

Edited by made2care
added additional comments

Well, I did send him some pics about 2 weeks post op . We never got on the topic of his shampoo but I remember the techs told me to use baby shampoo. 

Dr Arocha responded to me sending pics 2 weeks post op and emphasized to continue placing the zinc ointment on recipient and donor site. On the recipient site, he told me to use ointment 2 hrs prior to shampooing, then while I'm shampooing, I must use a circular motion to gently remove scabs. As you can see from my previous posting, scabs are gone. 

Hope this helps

14 hours ago, made2care said:

Well, I did send him some pics about 2 weeks post op . We never got on the topic of his shampoo but I remember the techs told me to use baby shampoo. 

Dr Arocha responded to me sending pics 2 weeks post op and emphasized to continue placing the zinc ointment on recipient and donor site. On the recipient site, he told me to use ointment 2 hrs prior to shampooing, then while I'm shampooing, I must use a circular motion to gently remove scabs. As you can see from my previous posting, scabs are gone. 

Hope this helps

Oh ok. So the special shampoo provided wasn't necessary? 

• 1 month later...

Almost 9 weeks post op info. About 80 % of the transplanted grafts have shed. Original stubble in certain areas still remain. some stubble has grown :) some have stayed the same. Redness is almost gone and some pimples (minor) are forming but scattered. This is a sign the new hairs are starting to come through. Have along way to go and patience is a must. Looking forward to 3 month mark as I believe I might start to see some new hairs sprouts. Will keep you posted and pics will be shown at 3 month mark.

Chow for now.