Two FUE Hair Transplants - 5992 grafts - at HDC with Dr. Maras

Seesaw

3 hours ago, Euler said:

Thank you for sharing, looks great!

I'm 40 days after and the transplant grafts start to disappear, I mean there are some little hair and black points of hair but so me are disappear. Did this happen to you, too?

Thanks! I seem to be tracking towards a good result but I'm keeping my expectations and excitement in check. 

Yes the same things happened to me. By 40 days post-op, virtually all my transplanted hairs fell out. If anything, your growth is starting a bit earlier than mine.  I didn't notice those little hairs popping out until 50-60 days post op. Your redness seems to have reduced pretty fast compared to mine. 

Are you using hair fibers or any other product at this time? I was keeping my keeping my hair short and generously applying hair fibers along my new hairline. Now I just quickly apply some to my midscalp and vertex and I don't even stress about the hairline.  

Amazing for you, it's realy look good already (and it will be even better).

No, I don't use any fibers product (Do you mean something like Toppik?), I don't have much hair for that yet. I hope it will be better soon because I'm going back to university in October ?. Now I use only minoxi 2% as they told me in the clinic (to start one month after the surgery).

Did you hear\read about PRP? I think maybe it will expedtie the growth and redness.

3 hours ago, Euler said:

Amazing for you, it's realy look good already (and it will be even better).

No, I don't use any fibers product (Do you mean something like Toppik?), I don't have much hair for that yet. I hope it will be better soon because I'm going back to university in October ?. Now I use only minoxi 2% as they told me in the clinic (to start one month after the surgery).

Did you hear\read about PRP? I think maybe it will expedtie the growth and redness.

I'm also using Minoxidil. HDC told me that they don't believe PRP helps much and that there is no clinical evidence of its efficiency. I can't really disagree with them as all their patient reviews here seem to show good growth and good recovery without PRP. Plus, where I live in the Seattle metro area, PRP is very expensive, on the order of $500 per treatment with a minimum of 6 treatments. I'd rather save that $3000 and use it towards my future hair transplants. 

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been 5 months since my hair transplant procedure and, while there’s more growth happening, the rate of growth slowed down a bit. The difference between month 4 and month 5 isn’t as big as the difference between month 3 and month 4. I took 3 pictures during the last day:

1. Leaving my hair grubby on a lazy Sunday morning 

2. Wet hair right after showering (Sunday night)

3. On Monday morning, after brushing, and before the application of hair fibers.

The hairline itself is coming along nicely. I don’t even apply hair fibers there anymore. I added a photo zoomed in to my hairline. 

Behind the hairline, in the mid-scalp, there are some obvious weak spots at this stage. Hopefully over the next 2-3 months, they fill in as well as the hairline. 

F62F2710-FFBE-414A-AB0A-23D4E5B8DD4A.jpeg

CEE988DD-48D8-44DE-8AC5-D3608C029FD7.jpeg

ECB1397E-BCE9-4668-9478-1F3F78700737.jpeg

5BE16B16-0F61-4944-B473-8971AC70814E.jpeg

Edited by Seesaw

• Administrators

Everything is progressing nicely, at 5 months you should be thrilled.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 months later...

I skipped providing a 6 months post op update because I didn't think there was any noticeable improvement from the 5th month. This is the 7 months post op update and there was a bit more growth in the last 2 months. The result so far is acceptable, not a home run or  anything exceptional, but I'm satisfied that I have a hairline to frame my face. What bugs me the most is that the hairline on my right side (left in the selfie images) has a weak spot that I have to cover with hair fibers or by brushing the hair towards it. You can see it in the first photo. I don't know if I'm being too picky, but hope it fills in. It just doesn't seem like there are any grafts planted there.  

The next two photos taken from both sides of the scalp show that the in the frontal third where the grafts were implanted, there are still weak spots, especially behind the left temple. 

The fourth photo is taken right after brushing my hair and applying hair fibers in the morning. With proper combing/brushing (from back to front) I'm able to cover the weak spots. 

IMG_0659[1].JPG

IMG_0652[1].JPG

IMG_0653[1].JPG

IMG_0634[1].JPG

• 3 months later...

In the last 3 months since my 7 months post op update, it seemed like hair quality kept improving. The weak spot on my right side which I pointed to in the last update filled in a bit and isn’t much of an issue. 

I wish my hairline on the right side was a tad lower so that it matches and is more symmetrical to the left side. I understand that surgeons don’t make both sides symmetrical and exactly similar because that looks unnatural, but my hairline leaves another 0.5 centimeters to be desired on the right side. See the photos below from January. If I’m wrong and this looks natural, please let me know so I can have realistic expectations. 

F8AFC04C-494A-4172-BD8F-72796A08C292.jpeg

1140F835-FA1E-4279-A3C6-285CCF318574.jpeg

B70F4AE7-415D-41E2-A062-582528C765E4.jpeg

C4D06287-6F60-4A43-A6B4-F3A39F9696C5.jpeg

Regardless of the asymmetry between the left and right side, density and hair thickness improved over the last 3 months. The hairline is good and I’m at a much better place than where I was before surgery. There are some weak spots right behind the hairline where you easily see the scalp, and I’m using hair fiber to cover them. It could be that I’ve lost some of the little native hair I had left but it seems to me that some follicles haven’t grown well. 

These photos are from the last 2-3 weeks, with the last one being taken today, 10.5 months post op. Without bright lighting, my hairline looks good in photos! 

If I brush my fair forward, I can usually cover the spot right behind hairline. 

EF29108D-DC55-416C-8E78-95192963F796.jpeg

68A0DA38-FF1D-407A-BA83-AA37F8C83D6A.jpeg

2CD2F99E-A101-41A5-8CF3-2D3778DC1F13.jpeg

957731CD-23E2-443B-B09F-A6B07C1C2A55.jpeg

D9378A16-7219-4BB0-9854-3C331D5B466B.jpeg

886938C2-4FC7-41CA-AD38-209BCFA63DF3.jpeg

3322FD3F-2BA1-437C-801D-5F81C781A207.jpeg

10 hours ago, Seesaw said:

In the last 3 months since my 7 months post op update, it seemed like hair quality kept improving. The weak spot on my right side which I pointed to in the last update filled in a bit and isn’t much of an issue. 

I wish my hairline on the right side was a tad lower so that it matches and is more symmetrical to the left side. I understand that surgeons don’t make both sides symmetrical and exactly similar because that looks unnatural, but my hairline leaves another 0.5 centimeters to be desired on the right side. See the photos below from January. If I’m wrong and this looks natural, please let me know so I can have realistic expectations. 

F8AFC04C-494A-4172-BD8F-72796A08C292.jpeg

1140F835-FA1E-4279-A3C6-285CCF318574.jpeg

B70F4AE7-415D-41E2-A062-582528C765E4.jpeg

C4D06287-6F60-4A43-A6B4-F3A39F9696C5.jpeg

Looks like a normal feather zone along the hairline to me. Personally I think slight asymmetry works well and adds to a natural look. Perfect hairlines often look a little off to me. Nice result! 

Nice result.

I'm in the same situation as yours, my right hairline is a bit less than my left side.

1. Are you going to do another surgery, Do you know what HDC policy for touch up?
2. Do you know what density you have in the recipient area? 
3. How many grafts do you think you'll need?

On 3/17/2019 at 3:29 AM, Baldrick101 said:

Looks like a normal feather zone along the hairline to me. Personally I think slight asymmetry works well and adds to a natural look. Perfect hairlines often look a little off to me. Nice result! 

Thanks for the positive feedback. I agree that some asymmetry makes for a natural look but I feel like the asymmetry in my hairline is very noticeable. Then again, it could just be me because I check it every single day and keep comparing sides. 

On 3/17/2019 at 4:01 AM, SOW said:

Nice result.

I'm in the same situation as yours, my right hairline is a bit less than my left side.

1. Are you going to do another surgery, Do you know what HDC policy for touch up?
2. Do you know what density you have in the recipient area? 
3. How many grafts do you think you'll need?

My plan all along was to do another surgery for the mid-scalp and crown. I haven’t set a date yet but I’m hoping late 2019 or early 2020. As part of that surgery, I’m going to ask for a touch up on the hairline and more grafts on the left side. I don’t know about HDC’s touch up policy. I haven’t asked. I’ll come back and update this thread when I know if they offer free touch up for weak growth areas. For touch up, I’d think 150 grafts would make my hairline straighter and fuller on the left side. 

• 8 months later...

Update:

I’m back in Nicosia for my second transplant to cover the half of the balding area that wasn’t tackled in the first round, mainly the crown area. 

Today Dr Maras and his team managed to extract and plant about 1400 grafts, working from the back of the scalp towards the hairline. The goal is to repeat the same process tomorrow and even patch up the weak areas behind the hairline and the right side of the hairline which I pointed out in my previous posts. Dr. Maras agreed that the hairline doesn’t look optimal and needs further reinforcements for better symmetry, more straightness and a more youthful appearance. 

I will keep using this thread to provide updates over the coming weeks and months. Here are some of my photos from the last 1-3 months, 16-19 months post first op. You can see the weak areas behind the hairline that need more work. I didn’t ask the clinic for any repair work to be done at their expense because I hesitate to, but there was a post some months ago suggesting that I do that for the hairline. I’ll see how I can subtly and respectfully inquire if they would consider spot repairing the hairline tomorrow. 

Also one final remark: Dr Maras now uses a micromotor for extractions instead of manual punch. I don’t know if that’s related but the throbbing pain in my donor zone is noticeably more than the first surgery, when manual punch was used. 

FAC5B2D8-95CE-498E-8BA8-533A69A53F9D.jpeg

2380C2E7-E0BA-4F82-BD5B-48269603B6B4.jpeg

B23DB8B5-4181-41CF-A6A1-34E3272C5AE8.jpeg

98118400-9846-44AE-9533-3F05EE3A672C.jpeg

4979F3F1-EFC8-4FEF-9780-BD357B504AE7.jpeg

56820FE3-92CE-4E9B-9D69-A2EB6FC65C0F.jpeg

FFDDBF12-2C22-4419-A231-0850E405C882.jpeg

1C4FE85A-2FBE-4B7D-8273-77808E4A9BD2.jpeg

5AD8916E-994F-4237-AA04-C2110BE2DA0B.jpeg

4323C1EE-CEB7-4F02-921A-A065C6391DF6.jpeg

C51C0499-7F85-411D-936A-BB3F1BBF400D.jpeg

FB037147-1E3F-406E-9541-C419BFD73D99.jpeg

58784FB6-5AC9-43A2-8810-457D0343BCB7.jpeg

719F810C-D2BC-4D18-AF4D-A055F255B99F.jpeg

• Administrators

How did I miss this thread, these results look amazing. The hairline has completely changed your appearance. I can tell that just from the front you shaved off at least 10 years.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

How did I miss this thread, these results look amazing. The hairline has completely changed your appearance. I can tell that just from the front you shaved off at least 10 years.

Thank you Melvin! I agree. The hairline alone has made feel much more satisfied and confident. But time to finish the job and maybe shave off another year or two. If I can achieve a result half as good or comparable to yours, I would be ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, BjornBorg said:

Yeah man, right move to go for a second procedure. You have a base, now let's finish it off.

Thank you for being so detailed with both text and pictures. Following with interest.

Thanks man. This will hopefully be the final surgery. Few more day of discomfort and pain being traded for decades of satisfaction. 

On 12/15/2019 at 8:27 AM, SOW said:

@Seesaw

Does the micromotor shorten the operation time?

If so, in how much ?there are still two phases in the extraction?

Supposedly yes. That’s why the clinic is now using it, as well as to be able to extract more grafts per day. However, in my first surgery using manual punch, Dr Maras extracted 3130 grafts in two days while in my second surgery using micromotor he extracted 2862, and I was still getting done at 4:00-4:30 pm. I also think there was more caution given to selecting grafts this time as the donor zone is weaker so it might have slowed down the process. 

The clinic said that using micromotor has not caused any effect on the quality of their results, and I trust them. I just didn’t like the micromotor because of the sound and feeling of something drilling into my head. Also on the second day of surgery, it seemed like I was bleeding a bit more easily (lack of sleep? stress?) and the spin of the motor head was causing some splashing of small spots of blood on my face, hand and phone that I was using while lying on my side and grafts were being extracted above my right ear. 

52 minutes ago, Seesaw said:

splashing of small spots of blood on my face, hand and phone that I was using

Cabbage, blood splashes also on the hand and on the tel you were using?  I don't think this is normal.😳