Two FUE Hair Transplants - 5992 grafts - at HDC with Dr. Maras

Seesaw

Hey all,

I had my first ever hair transplant at the HDC clinic in Nicosia, Cyprus on May 2 and 3, 2018 and I would like to share with you my experience and progress.

I started noticing a recession in my hairline when I was 22 years old, nearly 10 years ago. I then started using Minoxidil 7 years ago with good success. When the hair loss spread to my midscalp and vertex and Minoxidil wasn’t helping, I started using hair fibers to mask my hairloss. However, it got to a point where that also became challenging, especially for the hairline.

With regards to my surgery, it was spread across 2 days and meant to cover the hairline and the mid-scalp, leaving the vertex for a potential future surgery. Generally, after anesthesia injections, Dr. Maras would perform the punches and an assistant would then pull out the grafts. After that, I would have a snack/break, then another round of anesthesia injections in my recipient area, after which Dr. Maras would perform the incisions, and assistants would implant the grafts.

On the first day, 1672 grafts were transplanted to the hairline area (582 singles, 838 doubles, and 252 triples). On the second day, 1458 grafts were transplanted to the mid-scalp (342 singles, 753 doubles, and 363 triples).

I’m pleased with how everything went and the area that the clinic was able to cover. Dr. Maras and I agreed on a somewhat conservative hairline that matched the way I looked when I was younger. I think he and the whole medical team did a great job and the hairline looks very natural, and frames my face pretty nicely.

After 3 days of recovery at the apartment provided by the clinic, I left Cyprus and continued my washes and following my post-op instructions at home. Of course, like most patients, I did experience some swelling and some discomfort with sleeping the first few days after surgery. About 8 days post-op, I was able to sleep normally and uninterrupted. I only took painkillers the first three nights. Largely any pain during the first week post-op was insignificant and tolerable. About 10 days post-op, my donor area healed and showed no sign of trauma or surgery. Now, at 5 weeks post-op, I’m amazed that my donor area looks great. I expected the reduction in density to be visible but to my eye, it’s almost as if nothing was done.

Finally, I’ll share some information about what appreciated mostly about HDC and why I chose them over other recommended clinics on this forum. If I have learned anything reading threads here, it’s that a hair transplant is a major investment in myself worthy of going to a top doctor consistently producing great results. I had narrowed my choices down to ASMED and HDC. Eventually I ended up picking HDC because:

• In addition to having a tremendous record of results, HDC seems to place a great deal of attention on managing the donor zones of patients and avoiding overharvesting at all cost. Given that I don’t have a great donor area (you’ll see some thinning in in my nape and sides in the photos), it was important for me to pick a clinic with good yield, and with whom I can manage my hair loss progressively, and not run roughshod over my donor area. As such, we agreed on covering the hairline and the mid-scalp in my first surgery, leaving some capacity in the donor zone to future procedures to cover the vertex and/or touch-up the front in a second surgery.

• Communication with the clinic went exceptionally well from the very start. Their patient coordinator George answered all my questions through Whatsapp and email in a timely matter. He was also very honest with me about what I should expect give my advanced state of hair loss, and made sure not to overpromise. I felt like I was given individual attention and not simply sent generic responses, and that my best interest was always kept in mind. After having my surgery done, the clinic lived up to my expectations, as the levels of attention, care and hospitality I and my companion received were amazing.

• The free accommodation in a flat rather than a hotel room. The flat given to us was very comfortable and fully furnished. With many markets nearby, we were able to shop for produce and take advantage of having a kitchen.

• All the medical team at HDC speaks English fluently. It’s great to be able to converse with everyone, even during surgery.

• The follow-up and daily washes offered after surgery. I took advantage of that and stayed there for 3 days post up. After I left Cyprus, the clinic kept checking with me about my recovery even after I left Cyprus.

• Minor consideration: I live in Seattle, WA but my parents live in Lebanon, and Cyprus is only a 30-minute flight from Beirut. So I was able to visit them, recover from jet lag and get some good sleep for 3 days before going to Cyprus. Door to Door the trip from my house there to Nicosia is just 3-3.5 hours.

• Also, I came across Hairplanter’s YouTube channel and thread. This guy documented his trip to HDC in a well-detailed manner. Additionally, he had a great result.

Thanks for reading and I’ll provide updates every couple of months.

DSC_1599.thumb.jpg.3856ec6693e24195d01dd4814105d687.jpg

DSC_1600.thumb.jpg.69deaef14e032aebf6b9c0cc68104e0d.jpg

DSC_1601.thumb.jpg.e6a0f2704708cf02c77dd2431a76dda6.jpg

DSC_1602.thumb.jpg.b3f7576aa254af1d0e7dc4e7798d8014.jpg

DSC_1604.thumb.jpg.b150f9543e460f43f676eec862419b1d.jpg

DSC_1613.thumb.jpg.f0ffb519c7c7bff4204c424867132756.jpg

DSC_1614.thumb.jpg.a264fadef9ca7b9e1f2d723db8c6efc9.jpg

DSC_1617.thumb.jpg.c494eeadbbc14e440d76ece5a5fec30e.jpg

DSC_1618.thumb.jpg.bd6497d15fbbb9f7947f2c4a3a3b4f53.jpg

DSC_1619.thumb.jpg.c05cb52821f3af9396a6107caa70392a.jpg

DSC_1621.thumb.jpg.c2fa0c02edccb3c7242ad3584049734c.jpg

DSC_1622.thumb.jpg.4ee84dbc8c1090e66e577c97ebad6f10.jpg

DSC_1623.thumb.jpg.40b3fd7276a398012f9c31e3de8272e7.jpg

DSC_1624.thumb.jpg.6a090a157957c92dfa74e2a27540da92.jpg

DSC_1625.thumb.jpg.496ca32469db04864c12da9db54b3577.jpg

DSC_1626.thumb.jpg.4438210ab0d2bdba489aea878687552d.jpg

DSC_1627.thumb.jpg.b003bdcb3553fca43ae456c053099b36.jpg

20180504_154313.thumb.jpg.7ccf64fcd173b2c6230e120f974e881b.jpg

20180504_154322.thumb.jpg.42502aa1cc963f5b8bd341dc2e39ae5c.jpg

I've booked in for hdc at this month, I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions.

Have you got any tips for the transplant like bring anything like a neck pillow etc?

How did you spend your time post op?

Did you go out much the first few days of post op?

Did you make your own meals?

Thanks in advance. Also good luck with your transplant.

It’s exciting that you’re getting your procedure later this month. I wasn’t advised to bring a neck pillow and the clinic didn’t even provide one for me. I simply slept by stacking 2-3 pillows the first few nights and didn’t have any issues. So my recommendation is to not worry about it much, unless you’ve tried it before and you know for sure that you would be more comfortable using a neck pillow.

In the three days following my procedure, I didn’t do much except walk around the neighborhood. Frankly, the clinic and apartments aren’t located in a highly touristic setting and there isn’t much to see. I assume you could take the bus or a taxi to Larnaca or another coastal city, but you’ll be a bit tired, your head may be a bit (or in my case quite a bit) swollen, and you’ll have to bring a hat, limit your exposure to the sun, and keep spraying your head with saline water every hour. For me, it wasn’t worth the hassle and I stayed in for most of the time, watching movies, sports, and playing card games with my companion. If you’re bringing a companion, that would make thing easier as you’ll have someone to have fun with and to assist you with little things (grabbing food, bringing you your ice pack so you have to get up,...). I recommmed you download some of your favorite shows or some movies for you to watch during recovery. The WiFi though is fast enough for streaming videos there.

Due to my short travel time, I had the luxury of making some food at home and bringing it with me. But I did also purchase some produce there. I stuck to making quick and easy stuff like an oatmeal bowl for breakfast and a salad for a snack. There are however 2 bakeries just around the corner (one of them open 24 hours) with an impressive selection of foods, and a buffet-like bar where you can purchase lunch or dinner. You can also buy some fruits and vegetables from the markets nearby. Even if you came in with no food at all, you won’t struggle to find good quality food at affordable prices. You may however want to bring in some energy bars for convenience. Also the clinic will provide you with a morning snack and then lunch during surgery.

One thing that I want to mention as well, don’t fuss about bringing too much cash in Euros with you. HDC accepts credit cards for payment (without any additional fees) and I think that’s a great convenience compared to Turkish clinics. I don’t know how others carry 10000 Euros when they go to Turkey. I had exchanged some $600 towards Euros and barely used a third of that on food and souvenirs. I paid for my surgery using my travel credit card and earned a good amount of miles too.

A good tip for any non-European traveling to Cyprus, make sure you bring a wall plug adapter as your plug won’t fit in the power outlets over there. I forgot to pack mine but the clinic was kind enough to provide one to me.

Otherwise, not much more I can think of or recommend. George the patient coordinator whom you’ve probably been talking to was available to assist with anything.

Good luck on your trip and hope this helped.

Been back and forth with his people and just got the final word and its good to go :)

Super nervous right now can't believe actually going through with this

Not much of a traveler never even been outside the US

Just told my son and hes asking if he can come alone so wondering what a round trip ticket from South Florida to Cyprus might cost me ?

Thanks for the detailed response Seesaw, it was very helpful.

Been back and forth with his people and just got the final word and its good to go :)

Just told my son and hes asking if he can come alone so wondering what a round trip ticket from South Florida to Cyprus might cost me ?

He's not a travel agent lol, just check online?

Yeah I can relate to feeling a bit nervous prior to such a big trip. I think the nervousness will ease up and you’ll be really excited once you start your trip. If you’re nervous because it’s a long flight and you’ve never been outside the US, I understand your nervousness. But you’ll likely enjoy being a new country. Cypriots are hospitable and friendly, given that tourism is a big part of their economy, and you will feel welcomed. Stores usually have people who speak English and all the folks at HDC all speak English as well.

I don’t know when you’re flying but flying during peak travel season in July and August could be expensive. During off-peak season, you’ll able to score tickets below $1000. If you’re flying out of Miami, I’m sure you’ll have plenty of options like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, Air France..., so competition will keep prices reasonable. I would recommend you fly with a European airline, rather than an American if possible, as based on my experience, you get better service.

If your son will travel with you, that would be good. As I said in my earlier post, it’s great to have a companion, especially on such a long trip.

Yeah I can relate to feeling a bit nervous prior to such a big trip. I think the nervousness will ease up and you’ll be really excited once you start your trip. If you’re nervous because it’s a long flight and you’ve never been outside the US, I understand your nervousness. But you’ll likely enjoy being a new country. Cypriots are hospitable and friendly, given that tourism is a big part of their economy, and you will feel welcomed. Stores usually have people who speak English and all the folks at HDC all speak English as well.

I don’t know when you’re flying but flying during peak travel season in July and August could be expensive. During off-peak season, you’ll able to score tickets below $1000. If you’re flying out of Miami, I’m sure you’ll have plenty of options like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, Air France..., so competition will keep prices reasonable. I would recommend you fly with a European airline, rather than an American if possible, as based on my experience, you get better service.

If your son will travel with you, that would be good. As I said in my earlier post, it’s great to have a companion, especially on such a long trip.

Seesaw thanks for the friendly reply

Its a big deal getting HT surgery so definitely I'm feeling nervous guess my brain is still digesting the fact that its actually going down I only really got the final word yesterday.

So right now I'm trying to sort out a few things like to get an idea what my work scheduled down time might be and to figure the best way to pay for this ?

I have a small business fire extinguisher service company company and spend my days going from business to business checking there fire extgs. dealing face to face with customers wondering how long till i can go back to work ?

As far as paying been saving for this for a long time putting cash aside but definitely don't want to travel with like 10k in cash best way to use the cash but not carry cash ?

Travels checks maybe ?

Considering i have like zero experience traveling looking for suggestions is all ?

Appreciate the suggestion about using a European airline thats good. Till now I been communicating with Pantelis general manager there he said as of Monday patient coordinator George will be in contact with me and help recommend flights did the guy help you find a flight ?

Edited by Markee

Seesaw thanks for the friendly reply

Its a big deal getting HT surgery so definitely I'm feeling nervous guess my brain is still digesting the fact that its actually going down I only really got the final word yesterday.

So right now I'm trying to sort out a few things like to get an idea what my work scheduled down time might be and to figure the best way to pay for this ?

I have a small business fire extinguisher service company company and spend my days going from business to business checking there fire extgs. dealing face to face with customers wondering how long till i can go back to work ?

As far as paying been saving for this for a long time putting cash aside but definitely don't want to travel with like 10k in cash best way to use the cash but not carry cash ?

Travels checks maybe ?

Considering i have like zero experience traveling looking for suggestions is all ?

Appreciate the suggestion about using a European airline thats good. Till now I been communicating with Pantelis general manager there he said as of Monday patient coordinator George will be in contact with me and help recommend flights did the guy help you find a flight ?

Yes figuring out the downtime from work is definitely an important decision. I would say at minimum, you have to allow for a week to 10 days. Considering that you have a big trip which will take nearly a day each way, one (or two?) day(s) for surgery, and 3-5 days for recovery and waiting for swelling to resolve and your scalp to get some healing done.

Given that you own your business, I’m guessing time off from work should not be a big deal.

I took two weeks off and when I came back to work I fully rested and showed no sign of surgery (except for the shedding that followed).

Like I said in my earlier post, the best way to pay is with a credit card, provided you have one with a high credit limit. That way you don’t have to worry about carrying cash and you would earn a good amount of rewards considering the 5-figure amount you’re spending. You can use your credit card to pay the deposit online as well.

I did not solicit any help in booking my flights, as I’m pretty comfortable with booking my own flight. I would recommend you check Expedia.com if you wanted to give it a crack on your own. All you have to do is put in your origin, destination, and travel dates and you’ll get plenty of options to select from.

Seesaw can you tell me what European airlines to try and book with an maybe?

I don't have a clue

Try British Airways or Lufthansa. I know for sure they fly to Cyprus. Aeroflot might be a third option.

So Seesaw know its super early but how your progress going so far ?

Been searching around flights looks like your right about July and August peak season you have to wait till Sept to see prices drop down to under $1000

Not looking forward to that 20hr plane trip for sure.

Seesaw can you tell me what European airlines to try and book with an maybe?

I don't have a clue

Hi Markee,

Glad to hear you have had positive feedback and your adventure will soon be starting. The clinic you have chosen always seems to turn out great results. You will be fine in Cyprus, its a beautiful place, people are friendly and most speak English really well.

5024 grafts with Asmed Clinic. Dr Koray 25th & 26th Oct 2017

Those who spend their time looking for the faults in others usually make no time to correct their own. –Art Janak

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187649-countdown-my-hair-transplant.html

Hi Markee,

Glad to hear you have had positive feedback and your adventure will soon be starting. The clinic you have chosen always seems to turn out great results. You will be fine in Cyprus, its a beautiful place, people are friendly and most speak English really well.

Thanks HG1 your always such a extra friendly positive guy :)

Hows your progress going ?

Thanks HG1 your always such a extra friendly positive guy :)

Hows your progress going ?

Hi Markee,

lol, not sure everyone would agree with you on that one :D.

Try and find time to do some sight seeing in Cyprus, its very cultured. You will feel right at home, great Greek / Cypriot/ English culture.

I will be doing my 8 month update tomorrow. Things are going well, density still needs to improve, but very pleased with hairline. Crown is still weak, but this is usually the last area to fill out. I have been deliberately keeping a low profile since the HT, but the family and friends I have met recently have taken a second look when meeting. Most ask if I have lost weight, which is funny as I've actually put weight on. I think that tells a story in itself. Keep us updated pal.

5024 grafts with Asmed Clinic. Dr Koray 25th & 26th Oct 2017

Those who spend their time looking for the faults in others usually make no time to correct their own. –Art Janak

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187649-countdown-my-hair-transplant.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 1:55 AM, Markee said:

Been searching around flights looks like your right about July and August peak season you have to wait till Sept to see prices drop down to under $1000

Hey Markee

I can help you with flight info (a hobby of mine is flying and helping family book tickets)

What city are you flying out of?

You mentioned you owned a business; safe to assume you use a corporate credit card that has accumulated any points? DM me and I can give you a few quick options. Travelling on points = more cash in your hand for your procedure

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

On 6/24/2018 at 10:55 PM, Markee said:

Yes if you're willing to wait till September, you'll be able to book a flight under $1000. Have you made any travel arrangement yet? Seems like ForgotPassword offered to help you book your flights. 

My progress is going well, as well as I could hope for 2 months post-op. There is some minuscule growth especially along the new hairline. I haven't been thinking about it much, and I have been using hair fibers to give a fuller/thicker appearance for my hair. 

2081991361_IMG_03221.thumb.JPG.e6c8cb6a2024ebb1fdb75d3a271220be.JPG

On 7/5/2018 at 7:22 AM, Lt. Dangle said:

If u look at the rest of the top HT surgeons in the world Maras seems to be the only one that creates a hairline in this manner. Im not bashing it just pointing out his skill cause when it grows out it looks totally natural. Its just unusual that other HT surgeons don't take this approach when creating the hairline staggered like this.

You're right! Maras's hairline stagger really does make for a natural look and I would much prefer it over a straight hairline. I also wondered why other surgeons don't often use this design. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BaldingtimetoLdar said:

Looks good, you might be an early grower. Are you still using minoxidil?

Thanks, I hope so. Yes I'm still using minoxidil, twice a day. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 4:51 AM, tigre said:

hello friend , 

i wanna ask you if you had this HT only on your front third or what?
did they tell you that you might need another ?

Hello,

Yes, this first transplant covers half the balding area. You can see in the photo above taken directly over my head while I'm sitting at the kitchen table that this transplant does not cover the crown. HDC did advise that I would need a second surgery. They estimate that I need 5500-6000 grafts to cover the whole area which cannot be done in one surgery (Turkish clinics being an exception). 

If the result from this one turns out well, then I will get my second surgery done in summer or fall 2019, as they recommended a minimum of 15-18 months between surgeries. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Seesaw, it is look great so far! can you update what about you now? 

I also did the surgery before one month and i'm curios to know what to expect for in the next months.

It seems to me that from 1 month after to 3-4 month after, it is the hardest period to go through.. 

On 9/1/2018 at 2:03 PM, Euler said:

Hi Seesaw, it is look great so far! can you update what about you now? 

I also did the surgery before one month and i'm curios to know what to expect for in the next months.

It seems to me that from 1 month after to 3-4 month after, it is the hardest period to go through.. 

Hi Euler, 

Today is 4 months post-op and here is a photo to show where my growth stands. The hairline is starting to shape and that is certainly making a difference in my appearance. In the midscalp, behind the hairline, density isn’t there yet, but it seems the growth is where it should be at 4 months. 

The hard period seems to be behind me. You’re right, it’s the toughest between month 1 and month 3. 

59ABD447-4F75-45D6-8448-FAE2D923E2F7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...