Recent hair Transplant

• Administrators
Actually could do with some positive feedback today��Could anybody with similar donor, and then recovered please let me know ,thanks in advance

First of all there is no way a layman can know whether or not transection occurred based on a photo. Furthermore, transection happens when a follicular unit is cut in half. The larger the punch size the less transaction, the smaller the punch size the higher chance of a follicular unit being cut in half or (transected). Any surgeon will tell you this, now I’m not saying this can’t be mitigated by a good surgeon.

With that said, I think you’re worrying too much, the stress will only prolong the shock loss, I’ve posted a photo of what my donor looked like 2 weeks after my surgery and what it looked like 6 months later. Keep in mind that some of the hairs on your head are still in the resting phase. Once those hairs go back in to the growth phase your hair will improve.

DF2CD058-CDE1-42B8-AFAC-A6062AD6AB31.jpeg

499B33E5-5C91-40FC-A9A3-D21112DEC621.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

First of all there is no way a layman can know whether or not transection occurred based on a photo. Furthermore, transection happens when a follicular unit is cut in half. The larger the punch size the less transaction, the smaller the punch size the higher chance of a follicular unit being cut in half or (transected). Any surgeon will tell you this, now I’m not saying this can’t be mitigated by a good surgeon.

With that said, I think you’re worrying too much, the stress will only prolong the shock loss, I’ve posted a photo of what my donor looked like 2 weeks after my surgery and what it looked like 6 months later. Keep in mind that some of the hairs on your head are still in the resting phase. Once those hairs go back in to the growth phase your hair will improve.

Thank you,

As always your reply is appreciated

Also why do people keep saying that diep does double the punch size of other doctors .. he uses .8 , .9 and 1mm punches .. that’s the norm .. also he does slot of Asian hairs which is thicker in caliber , so .9mm seems to be his go to punch size..

A larger punch may make it easier to avoid transaction of the targeted graft but that doesn't mean surrounding hairs can't be transected in the process. A basic look at the donor and you can see the punch wounds appear significantly larger than the area a graft covers and its common knowledge he uses higher than average punch sizes. There's a reason some have visible depletion after less than 2k grafts and I have none after 6k,it's not a simple matter of density in the region.

This should be indisputable and self-evident, but quoted by a forum recommended surgeon at BHR clinic:

"When a large punch is used it has the possibility to cut into an adjacent FU if the density of FU is high. This either means taking two genetic groups at the same time or splitting and transecting one of them, for example two 2 hair FU or maybe a 3 hair and a 1 hair in the same punch OR maybe taking an intact 3 hair FU and dissecting another and a likely conclusion is killing a hair and traumatising the surrounding hairs."

He also references a small study he did showing with visuals an individual for whom a 1.1mm punch for example could transect 2 surrounded grafts to the targeted graft.

"First of all there is no way a layman can know whether or not transection occurred based on a photo."

No but certainly depletion over the original state in density can be. I agree with your overall point though, I wouldn't judge this early and plenty of people with similar issues show great improvement over time, as in your case it clearly did.

• Thanks 1

Also why do people keep saying that diep does double the punch size of other doctors .. he uses .8 , .9 and 1mm punches .. that’s the norm .. also he does slot of Asian hairs which is thicker in caliber , so .9mm seems to be his go to punch size..

It's not a linear increase in area, for example a 1mm punch is more than twice the area of a .7mm punch.

I’ve set up thread to get informative feedback and hopefully some other folks from the community could share similar experiences,preferably positive outcomes :) but i would like to hear all,

What I didn’t set this thread up for was to question the surgeons skill or way in which he carries out procedure,I do realize it’s very early in recovery stage,and everybody heals in different ways,

One thing I do regret right now is not getting this procedure done in winter time,where wearing a hat(beanie) is a lot more comfortable,sure it’s true that I’m probably worrying too much,however this is my hair,so,it’s hard not to,the fact that I’ve actually went ahead and got a HT,makes it quite obvious that hair plays an important role in my life,so it’s pretty hard not to be concerned,however I also take some comfort in the fact that this is still very early days yet,anyway all of your feed back is appreciated very much so

I’ve set up thread to get informative feedback and hopefully some other folks from the community could share similar experiences,preferably positive outcomes :) but i would like to hear all,

What I didn’t set this thread up for was to question the surgeons skill or way in which he carries out procedure,I do realize it’s very early in recovery stage,and everybody heals in different ways,

One thing I do regret right now is not getting this procedure done in winter time,where wearing a hat(beanie) is a lot more comfortable,sure it’s true that I’m probably worrying too much,however this is my hair,so,it’s hard not to,the fact that I’ve actually went ahead and got a HT,makes it quite obvious that hair plays an important role in my life,so it’s pretty hard not to be concerned,however I also take some comfort in the fact that this is still very early days yet,anyway all of your feed back is appreciated very much so

For sure in 4 months or so you'll be feeling a lot better. Once the redness isn't an issue and the results in the recipient start to become visible (and Diep consistently delivers in that regard) you'll forget the time spent waiting. More often than not those with similar issues of shock loss patches as in your temple that grow back with time also.

For sure in 4 months or so you'll be feeling a lot better. Once the redness isn't an issue and the results in the recipient start to become visible (and Diep consistently delivers in that regard) you'll forget the time spent waiting. More often than not those with similar issues of shock loss patches as in your temple that grow back with time also.

Thanks man

• 1 month later...

Hey,

heres an update regarding patch of hairloss at my temple,looks promising, as there are lots of small hairs beginning to grow,still looks like a bald patch,but up close I can see lots of little hairs,looking forward to having coverage there again,I’ve been using rogaine 5% twice daily,and taking msm daily,

As for the patchy donor area,there’s still no way I could get a buzz cut,I’m just keeping it longer in the back,will re-evaluate at 5 months,from what I’ve read 5 months is when shockloss can show signs of improvement,assuming that it is shockloss,

My recipient area has almost no signs of redness,it’s been 10 weeks,about 40% of my recipient hairs didn’t shed,they’ve grown over an inch long ,they aren’t as thick as my native hairs,hope the ones that have shed come along shortly,any way just wanted to keep this updated,it was kinda frustrating reading posts about similar shockloss etc,but never reading the outcome,but I’m happy to see hair Beginning to grow in temple area,and am hopeful that time will significantly improve loss in donor area

• Administrators

That's great that the patchy spot seems to be growing back, quite impressive that you have continued to grow the grafts that didn't shed, that's definitely rare and only a lucky select few actually do that so congrats. I look forward to seeing you updates and progress.

Warm regards-Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

11 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That's great that the patchy spot seems to be growing back, quite impressive that you have continued to grow the grafts that didn't shed, that's definitely rare and only a lucky select few actually do that so congrats. I look forward to seeing you updates and progress.

Warm regards-Melvin

Thanks Melvin,

• 1 month later...

Hey,

So it’s a few days shy of 4 months post fue.The patch of hairless on temple has completely grown back,the recipient area has started to grow ,this past week its grown a lot ,thin hair ,but it’s growing,as for the donor area that still bothers me,but I’ve kept it longer ,there is improvement ,but a buzz cut is still out of  the question,,but I’m happy I no longer have to wear a hat ,this whole summers been pretty grim ,But things are beginning to look promising,Im attaching pics of recipent 1 week and Today,also the donor at 5 weeks and donor Today 

F4A3BA98-C5EC-47FB-92D8-1EDDFE49E44E.png

4745EF21-3891-459A-B456-FB1723647E02.png

6F146EFF-E2EF-4A73-B920-84E508E3711F.png

CBDC025C-BD4E-4C85-AFD1-B654CD912FA7.png

• Like 1

• Administrators

Man that’s freakin awesome, this thread is going to help countless guys suffering from temporary shock loss and AA. Also, at 4 months thats insane growth, this has the makings of a home run. I hope you keep us updated with your progress.

View my thread

Thanks Melvin,

i hope it can help countless people who have post surgery issues ,I had read about shock loss,but had thought the odds were on my side ,between the donor shock loss and the horrible patch that came out of nowhere,it really got me down to say the least,I must add that my barber does have to cut back of hair with caution,but in comparison to how I was 3 months ago both emotionally and cosmetically I’m in a far better place,I still comb my hair forward to cover recipient,I’m hoping in 3months I’ll be confidentially wearing my new hair line ,will keep this threat updated until final result,

On 6/7/2018 at 10:12 AM, mattj said:

Since this is well outside the area that was treated, it is nothing like shockloss and more likely to be stress related. Even then, it's still a rare occurrence. Did your doctor give you any more input?

It may not have been outside the area that was treated. He may have had anesthetic injections in that area. They may have triggered shock loss.

Edited by Spaceman

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. In my case, I noticed significant differences even between 9th and 11th month. Improvement can go as far as 18 months.

Btw, anxiety from five months onward is normal for HT patients. All questions of lack of growth/density always crop up by this time. I guess emotionally most of us can only remain cool up to four months even though intellectually we know we need to wait until a year to know if our procedure went well or not.

Edited by fortuneplant

• Administrators

I had around 40% of hair growth by 5 months, I continued growing up until 9 months and even a little after that.

View my thread

Still very early days as you're not even at five months yet. There should be plenty more to come. 

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Thanks guys,

ive had early growth ,and some of the transplanted hair never shed just grew,

But there is still areas that definitely had grafts,but still nothing penetrating the skin,so at almost 5 months these hairs are still in resting phase ?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, James81 said:

I should rephrase that to ,at 5 months is it still possible for some transplanted hair still to be in resting phase 

Yes, some of the transplanted hair may be in the telogen (resting phase), hair cycles take between 3-6 months, so technically you could have hairs in the telogen phase at 6 months still, but there is likely plenty of vellus hairs that aren’t visible unless its under a magnification mirror. 

View my thread

I wanna point out that in addition to new growth that is likely to happen after month 5, the hairs that have already grown in will continue to mature as well and become thicker, which will visually translate as even more hair than what you currently see... You have a lot left to look forward to, so just breathe and enjoy the ride. ;)

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56