Recent hair Transplant

Hello all,

I’ve posted a few times already,however I’m new to This forum and I didnt realize I was posting on the wrong thread,so im starting this thread in the hopes of getting some informative feed back, and possibly some support.

Ok so 20 days ago , I had an FUE of just over 1600 grafts, to fill in my hairline, the procedure itself was very well carried out and pretty much painless,I had one week of recovery time,I think I may have spent most of that week watching and waiting for my donor area to

Grow, I really think that alone caused me a lot of stress,I’m also self employed and I’ve been running my business at the same time which is not in anyway helping the situation.so half of my time is spent on the phone with my employee and clients,the other half watch my donor area not grow, as they say a watched pot never boils,

Ok so I’ve had very poor growth in the donor area it’s still kind of red and unfortunately my hair has not grown enough to cover signs of surgery, I expected that this would possibly be a slow recovery, and had planned on wearing a baseball hat to cover, but unfortunately the hat does not cover all as the scar come below the back of head where hat sits,this stressed me out like crazy as I had to miss some scheduled appointments due to this, but I just told myself it will grow eventually and hair will cover area until it heals 100%

Now my main concern is what I originally thought to be shock loss close to the left temple

About an inch from the recipient area,pictures below, i did post this on my original post in the wrong thread,and somebody pointed out that it doesn’t look like shock loss, that it looks more like alopecia areata, which makes a lot of sence, as it happen all of a sudden 14 days post op whilst I was having an extremely stressful day, it really did freak me out to say the very least

Today I’ve contacted my HT dr and he’s been kind enough to give me an appointment in

A couple hours to give me a steroid injection, which I’m hoping will help, as I see it’s spreading,now I’ve never experienced this kind of patchy hair loss before, and have come to the conclusion with the help of a member of this community that this is caused by my emotions and trauma from surgery combined,

Thanks for reading this post any advise or sharing of similar experiences is greatly appreciated.

Your stressed out friend James

F00D0E2C-BBFA-4732-BB01-B7016C53B540.thumb.jpeg.39490f89ce47843e0ad6c4405dd8d3b1.jpeg

Since this is well outside the area that was treated, it is nothing like shockloss and more likely to be stress related. Even then, it's still a rare occurrence. Did your doctor give you any more input?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

When he seen it in person ,He agreed that it could be Alopecia Areata ,I was given a steroid shot Mixed with aminofix,at this stage I just have to wait and hope that it grows back,I’m applying rogaine to the area twice daily,along with taking 1 mg of Propecia,also just trying not to let it get to me,It definitely was a big shock to see this happen so suddenly ,but I’ve accepted it is what it is,I’ve never had this kind of hair loss before,im assuming that trauma of surgery combined with stress triggered it,however nobody can seem to say for sure ,Spent a lot of time searching for somebody with similar loss,but like you said it is rare,hope it grows back with transplanted hair,

Something similar like this happened to a friend of mine years ago. A small, bald patch just like that in the back of her scalp... The doctor told her it was stress related and with time, it all came back to normal. No idea if that's the same thing going on with you, but hopefully it resolves itself just as easily/quickly as hers did.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

James81, from everything I've learned over the years, I'm inclined to say that this will grow back. I always err on the side of caution when saying things like this as I know that there are always people who fall outside of the 'normal range', but I think you'll see this issue resolved in time. Please do let us know.

Thanks Mattj,

I believe it will, perhaps that’s just wishful thinking on my part,but I’m a believer in the power of positive thinking,If it is a case of AA,then from what I’ve read up about it,there’s a strong possibly that it should,

In the meantime I’ll be rocking my beanie,

• Administrators
Something similar like this happened to a friend of mine years ago. A small, bald patch just like that in the back of her scalp... The doctor told her it was stress related and with time, it all came back to normal. No idea if that's the same thing going on with you, but hopefully it resolves itself just as easily/quickly as hers did.

Yes my friends sister just got the same thing on the side of her head, the bald patch about the size of a quarter which is indicative of AA. It typically resolved in its own over time.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks Melvin,

It was you who originally pointed out that it looks like AA,which prompted me to contact Dr. Diep ,

After seeing him in person he definitely helped me to calm down,I have faith that this will resolve itself,

Also the injections that he gave me hopefully will speed things along,I definetly have no regrets about having Dr Diep do my HT,even while he was extremely busy he still was kind enough to find the time to get me in for a pretty much last minute appointment for injections,he has good reviews for a reason,he’s a great Dr and a very nice person in general,

Whatever happens, I wouldn't blame it on the surgeon. What you're experiencing is a rare an unpredictable thing which has nothing to do with the quality of work that has been carried out. I hope you keep us updated.

Whatever happens, I wouldn't blame it on the surgeon. What you're experiencing is a rare an unpredictable thing which has nothing to do with the quality of work that has been carried out. I hope you keep us updated.

Nowhere in any of my posts did I blame anything on my surgeon,my surgeon is awesome,and im very pleased with the follow up appointments he provided me with,I think I’ve made it very clear that I’ve been in agreement that this is extremely rare and due to perhaps stress,

I know you haven't placed blame on the surgeon. I just said that to pre-empt it and in case anyone was thinking that way. Sometimes people are inclined to blame this that and everything on a surgeon when the reality is different.

I know you haven't placed blame on the surgeon. I just said that to pre-empt it and in case anyone was thinking that way. Sometimes people are inclined to blame this that and everything on a surgeon when the reality is different.

I hear you dude ,In my case ,one of the things that is comforting is that I chose a good surgeon,Had I not, I think I may have been second guessing how the procedure was carried out,As of now things are still the same, I will keep this thread updated as time passes,i,figure it’s gonna be at least 3months before anything of significance changes,

Today is 33 days post op,as for the bald patch in my previous post,well that remains the same,not expecting any change with that for at least a few months,

Hello all,

So below I’m posting pictures of donor area 1 week post op and today 33 days post op,I’ve definitely had shock loss,well I hope,as what I’ve read it should return in time,

What’s your guys thoughts on these pictures,the patchiness really is annoying,however I’m hoping with time all will heal as best it can,I do realize donor area will of course never be as dense as before,but I’m also hoping I have plenty to heal yet,because the whole purpose of fue was to be able to wear hair short back and sides,is this a new problem I now have,where I’m going to have to leave hair long,I don’t mind leaving it long for a few months ,whilst healing,

• Administrators

There’s definitely inflammation, it’s a bit thin but I don’t think it would call much attention. A little dermmatch and you’ll be good to go.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It's not a once off issue in terms of donor problems from this clinic. The scars look significantly larger than the size of a graft, find it hard to believe grafts in between those extracted haven't been transected in the process which I'm sure contributes to patchiness mentioned here and elsewhere. For those who are planning on keeping a tight buzz after an FUE this clinic is not a good choice. I've had 6000 grafts and after day 10 scarring was virtually invisible and apart from the redness issue the donor blended into the natives in terms of density. When 1600 grafts causes these kinds of issues then it has to be questioned.

The shock loss is a separate issue and if not a regular occurrence can't be blamed on the surgeon, but the very regular donor problems certainly can.

It's not a once off issue in terms of donor problems from this clinic. The scars look significantly larger than the size of a graft, find it hard to believe grafts in between those extracted haven't been transected in the process which I'm sure contributes to patchiness mentioned here and elsewhere. For those who are planning on keeping a tight buzz after an FUE this clinic is not a good choice. I've had 6000 grafts and after day 10 scarring was virtually invisible and apart from the redness issue the donor blended into the natives in terms of density. When 1600 grafts causes these kinds of issues then it has to be questioned.

The shock loss is a separate issue and if not a regular occurrence can't be blamed on the surgeon, but the very regular donor problems certainly can.

So your saying this is not shockloss,and most likely healthy hairs transacted?

There’s definitely inflammation, it’s a bit thin but I don’t think it would call much attention. A little dermmatch and you’ll be good to go.

By saying a little dermmatch and your good to go,I’m presuming your meaning for the short term until more healing happens,

So your saying this is not shockloss,and most likely healthy hairs transacted?

The area in the donor from which was extracted in your recent photo (I assume its the case throughout not just this area) that's a little thin I'm not convinced will improve 100% in regards to coverage, but the redness will fade and scarring hopefully become less apparent (not that its visible in that pic). I can say for sure though (based on what I've read from patients of his) that Diep often uses punch sizes close to double the area of what is the norm. Certainly in the 6 day pic the extraction points look larger than usual and I've seen issues in previous cases from him where it didn't completely resolve long term. It's most definitely likely it will improve to some regard though.

The shockloss in the temple area no one could give an honest answer or explanation. Hopefully yes and I've seen cases like that where it has improved so I wouldn't give up hope in that regard.

The area in the donor from which was extracted in your recent photo (I assume its the case throughout not just this area) that's a little thin I'm not convinced will improve 100% in regards to coverage, but the redness will fade and scarring hopefully become less apparent (not that its visible in that pic). I can say for sure though (based on what I've read from patients of his) that Diep often uses punch sizes close to double the area of what is the norm. Certainly in the 6 day pic the extraction points look larger than usual and I've seen issues in previous cases from him where it didn't completely resolve long term. It's most definitely likely it will improve to some regard though.

The shockloss in the temple area no one could give an honest answer or explanation. Hopefully yes and I've seen cases like that where it has improved so I wouldn't give up hope in that regard.

I guess only time will tell,it’s just the meantime is truly testing me right now,

Thanks for your reply man