I need some advice guys!

Hi, I am 26 years old and live in the U.K.

I currently wear a hair unit and have done for the past 3 years. I am now strongly considering a hair transplant for various reasons. One of them being that the unit involves a lot of maintenance, a lot more than I think I anticipated before having it done. Don’t get me wrong, its been great too as it has boosted my confidence and now I am really struggling coming to terms with shaving my hair off completely to have a transplant. The second reason is that I am moving to Barcelona in August and I know that the heat will drive me crazy, so I know it’s time now that I get something permanent.

I have tried taking propecia whilst wearing the unit but that didn’t seem to work, and I have also tried the laser therapy for over a year prior to going down the non-surgical route of wearing a unit, this also didn’t work.

I have looked at various options and I think I’d prefer the FUT transplant as I like to shave my hair on the sides and I wouldn’t want a visible scar. I have looked at various clinics too and the prices here in the U.K. are so much more expensive. I was convinced going to Turkey to have the procedure done would be fine until someone said but what if something goes wrong, then I’d have to travel abroad again etc, which has kind of put me off.

I have attached some pictures of my hair without the unit, so you can see where I’m at with my hair loss now. The hair is there but it’s very thin on top.

Any recommendation of clinics would be greatly appreciated, as would any comments and general advice as something I feel incredibly down about it all.

Thanks guys, if you have any further questions. Don’t hesitate to comment.

5b32fc408eae2_download(1).png.fe2f925c4d8502209e0b11eb8ba110ea.png

5b32fc40a113f_download(2).png.1b8c9f9bf4c4475d0f6c5bd2e905b87e.png

5b32fc40bf063_download(3).png.4942c8134db7a76003e26a3635435107.png

download.png.3e889955af64ed76d07ef21d9b9e2320.png

• Administrators

What are your expectations? There’s no way hair transplants will ever match the density of a hair system. You’re fairly young, so you may continue to bald in the coming years. You will require several surgeries and your crown may be something left either bald or lightly covered. I’m not sure you will be satisfied with a hair transplant after wearing a hair system. But I may be wrong.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

you mention going to Spain in August, which prompted you to look into HT surgery now as you want something permanent. Even if you happen to find a doctor or clinic to accept you as a patient and do the surgery within the next 3-4 months, you will still have a minimum of another 6 months wait for your results to even start coming in ... so I'm not sure you're expectations in terms of turnaround time are realistic ... surgery is definitely not as immediate as getting a hair system - just something you should factor in

Hey,

Firstly, I think you mean FUE, not FUT. FUE is individual grafts. You said you want FUT, but that does leave a scar.

If you're going to Spain, I would consider Lorenzo in Madrid. He is considered one of the best for FUE. He has lots of videos, and has worked on patients with hair loss of a similar extent to you. But you need to be realistic - if you spend time going through his videos you'll see that many patients need multiple surgeries (you may need 3), and that's assuming you have good quality donor (you'd need to meet him in person so he can best assess the quality of your donor). This will take several years, and you need to wait a minimum of 7 months between surgeries.

Also, in Spain, the sun can be a problem for the hair transplant, so try and plan it around winter, be prepared to take time off work, and be ready for lots of obsessive hat wearing to protect your grafts.

It's an investment and requires commitment - but you could get a decent result. You'll probably never have full coverage, but he can frame your face and you'll look a lot better. The most important thing is to learn to accept that this is a long journey, and it requires money, patience and courage.

You may also want to look into MSP - some of the results look great in my opinion.

Try not to worry - lots of us here have been through/are going through the same thing. You can do it! Good luck!

Hey,

Firstly, I think you mean FUE, not FUT. FUE is individual grafts. You said you want FUT, but that does leave a scar.

If you're going to Spain, I would consider Lorenzo in Madrid. He is considered one of the best for FUE. He has lots of videos, and has worked on patients with hair loss of a similar extent to you. But you need to be realistic - if you spend time going through his videos you'll see that many patients need multiple surgeries (you may need 3), and that's assuming you have good quality donor (you'd need to meet him in person so he can best assess the quality of your donor). This will take several years, and you need to wait a minimum of 7 months between surgeries.

Also, in Spain, the sun can be a problem for the hair transplant, so try and plan it around winter, be prepared to take time off work, and be ready for lots of obsessive hat wearing to protect your grafts.

It's an investment and requires commitment - but you could get a decent result. You'll probably never have full coverage, but he can frame your face and you'll look a lot better. The most important thing is to learn to accept that this is a long journey, and it requires money, patience and courage.

You may also want to look into MSP - some of the results look great in my opinion.

Try not to worry - lots of us here have been through/are going through the same thing. You can do it! Good luck!

What he said! Except I think he means SMP scalp micro pigmentation.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

I would say avoid Hair Transplant and get on Hair System!

Your Hairloss is extremely severe and you may loose more hair!

Hair Transplant won't be able to give you good coverage!

Now-a-Days there are some really good Hair Systems available kindly research more

OP - Your hairloss is pretty extensive and your donor looks kinda ok (not too dense but better pics will tell more).

You can't fill your head with that donor area; how does your chest hair density look like?

If you really want to go for HT, your best bet is = hair from head + hair from chest/beard and it will only result in decent results; don't expect too much.

You're too young to use all your donor now; I would say stick to hair system for the next 5-6 years and stay on propecia.

To be blunt, IF you went surgical it would probably need to be FUT so you could maximize the amount of grafts that can be harvested and preserve the donor as much as possible or potential future procedures.

Hair loss is progressive and your case is quite advanced for a man so young.

Long term planning is essential.

I got my first HT at 26, and had two more before it was satisfactorily dense....and my loss was about a third of yours.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016