Hello,

I've been flicking through many of these threads while conducting my research into the best approach for managing/correcting my receding hairline.

I'm 25 and from the UK. I've been taking Finasteride for about 6 months but am unsure as to the results. I appear to be shedding hair still. Is this normal?

I've had a few consultations already and have been advised that to restore my hairline I will require 2000 grafts in a transplant procedure. I have a good, thick, donor area and no loss on the crown.

I would like to know whether it is advisable for me to opt for a transplant and, if so, who the best surgeons are in the UK? Please note, I am not willing to travel outside the UK.

Any advice would be greatly received.

(See pictures attached)

5b32fc3f760f8_IMG_0559(002).jpg.d6ee96201eba53aa0b8249228f2783c1.jpg

5b32fc3f82c17_IMG_0561(002).jpg.2370b1e00eddced2b43c630a99be8b63.jpg

5b32fc3f9563f_IMG_0562(002).jpg.29419c04b072f845471391e63152cd12.jpg

5b32fc3fa9236_IMG_0563(002).jpg.ccfdac18f19e07b81f1decbd83e37691.jpg

The photos show parting of the hair in the frontal zone behind the hairline. Personally I don't think that area is bald enough to justify surgery. There is still plenty of native hair in the area and transplanting to it could be detrimental. Don't get me wrong, it's possible to transplant to areas of diffuse hairloss and it is done all the time, but it's best avoided when the area in question is still quite strong, as yours is.

2000 grafts sounds about right for the temples/hairline. Very good work could be done to restore these zones.

It's common to shed hair after beginning Finasteride. You are probably experiencing a typical shed.

At what age did you hairloss begin?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• Moderators

If you do get a hair transplant, here's my personal opinion on your hairline placement. Don't try to make the hairline curve down to meet the sides. That rarely looks natural and is one thing that can make transplants look fake. Instead you should let the hairline go more towards the corners and bring the sides forward a bit. In other words the sides should be brought forward to meet the hairline, not the hairline being brought down to meet the sides. See the edited photo I'm posting with the red line showing the idea of how I think the hairline should be. This is my personal opinion, so take it or leave it.

HairlinePlacement.png.317476d9cceb0b47a72948a027fa88b3.png

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Despite the few individuals today who will tell you to travel, there are some outstanding hair transplant surgeons in the UK that are on par with other leading surgeons in the world. This includes Dr. Farjo who is an elite Coalition member and Dr. Reddy. Both hair transplant surgeons perform state of the art hair transplant surgery with excellent results in the UK. To view their profiles, visit https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/surgeon-list.asp?StateAbr=UK&sr=HRN

I hope this helps.

Bill

Hi Stanners,

My advice would be stick with the Fin to try and stabilise the loss. Your still young and its important to see how the loss progresses. If you are going to go for it, check out JeanLDD thread, he has had two HT's and is younger than you. I would also advise you to look beyond the UK. I wanted to stay local (I'm from Manchester), but reviews were hit and miss with UK based clinics and costs were huge. Most important is research research research. Good luck.

5024 grafts with Asmed Clinic. Dr Koray 25th & 26th Oct 2017

Those who spend their time looking for the faults in others usually make no time to correct their own. –Art Janak

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187649-countdown-my-hair-transplant.html

If you do get a hair transplant, here's my personal opinion on your hairline placement. Don't try to make the hairline curve down to meet the sides. That rarely looks natural and is one thing that can make transplants look fake. Instead you should let the hairline go more towards the corners and bring the sides forward a bit. In other words the sides should be brought forward to meet the hairline, not the hairline being brought down to meet the sides. See the edited photo I'm posting with the red line showing the idea of how I think the hairline should be. This is my personal opinion, so take it or leave it.

The line you drew is definitely more appropriate for where the hairline should be placed. It's more in line with what surgeons would design.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thank you for all your advice everyone - much appreciated.

I’m not rushing into anything and have much more research to conduct before I make a decision. I think I’ll probably wait another 6 months on the finastride to see what effect it has.

I would say that I have always had a relatively high hairline and probably started receding at 16 so it’s been a rather gradual process. Hopefully finastride should help halt or slow this process.

I agree on the hairline that someone suggested - looks much better!

Is there any difference between Dr. Farjo and Dr. Reddy?

Which method, FUT or FUE do you think would be most appropriate?

Thanks again for your advice.

S

I’m not rushing into anything and have much more research to conduct before I make a decision. I think I’ll probably wait another 6 months on the finastride to see what effect it has.

I would say that I have always had a relatively high hairline and probably started receding at 16 so it’s been a rather gradual process. Hopefully finastride should help halt or slow this process.

S

FUT maximizes donor density and plans for the future, especially important since you're young and if you choose not to be on finasteride.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

S

The top two doctors in europe are Lorenzo and Erdogan. I would definitely choose reddy over farjo, but personally I wouldn't have a HT in the UK.