Redistribution of grafts.

Hi everyone I am looking for help. I have browsed through forums and videos on youtube and cannot find the answer.

Once a hair has been transplanted can it be successfully moved to a new area by FUE? Basically can the same hair be transplanted twice?

I have had two FUTs that were successful inasmuch as the hair grew but the problem is I have used up my donor and am losing hair in the lateral hump areas. There is so much thick transplanted hair in the centre of my head that I could easily have over 50% of it redistributed to the lateral sides and look more natural.

Do you know any cases of a transplanted hair being redistributed by FUE? I understand about plug redistribution but these are by small FUT-like procedures.

I would appreciate some help as I fall under the category now as a 'repair' patient.

I dont see why one cant transplant an already transplanted hair. however the place from where the hair is transplanted would be scarred.

Can you please share photos so we can understand the situation better?

All patients are different and that goes double for repair patients, where additional factors are at play. What you describe is possible in theory, but you would need to consult with a surgeon to get the advice you need.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Ok so here is an image. The red area indicates where I want grafts to be placed. The green area represents where I want the grafts to be taken from. As you can see the green area is incredibly thick and this is after me attacking it with the thinning shears. I want a more natural appearance with thinning hair. Not somebody who looks like I have a thick wig on my head. Also the red area is thinning rapidly and will be gone in a year I predict.

So does anyone know of a case or perhaps a doctor can enlighten me if a hair can be transplanted twice with success?

pic.jpg.e1519cfe564121ed83d3812d1aa9d2c1.jpg

This repair patient result I posted recently involved the removal of grafts that had been poorly placed by another doctor.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/189610-dr-rahal-1591-grafts-fue-repair.html

I can see that the area you circled looks a bit thinner, although it doesn't look too bad to me. It's possible that there is an increased risk of the hairs not growing after they have been extracted for a second time. I'm just speculating.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I was just curious if you have much beard hair that could possibly be used in those recessed areas?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yes it can. Dr Rahal took “ plugs “ from my crown and redistributed them.

But to take plugs you take them via FUT do you not? Did Dr Rahal use the FUE technique to move them? If so how was the graft survival rate?

My grafts cannot be taken by FUT. They can only be taken be FUE as all transplanted grafts are singles, doubles or triples. There are no 'mini grafts' or 'plugs.'.

Edited by Sparky00

This repair patient result I posted recently involved the removal of grafts that had been poorly placed by another doctor.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/189610-dr-rahal-1591-grafts-fue-repair.html

I can see that the area you circled looks a bit thinner, although it doesn't look too bad to me. It's possible that there is an increased risk of the hairs not growing after they have been extracted for a second time. I'm just speculating.

Thanks for the reply. I've PMed you. I hope you don't mind.

I was just curious if you have much beard hair that could possibly be used in those recessed areas?

Yes ultimately I want a combination of body hair and grafts taken from the green area to fix the problem. Perhaps a 50/50 blend that way I will have more grafts to address more concerns down the line. I actually want the green area to be thinning anyway because it looks too thick (before anyone says anything sarcastic about a too thick hair transplant let me tel you if it doesn't look right it doesn't look right). I want to have a thinning appearance and look normal instead of the guy who had failed cosmetic surgery.

This really is a mess and causing me psychological discomfort. I have seen that you post a lot on different forums. With your experience do you know of any cases of successfully transplanted grafts via FUE for the second time? Could you perhaps ask the doctors you are affiliated with please?

Edited by Sparky00

Hi Sparky,

Judging from your pic the top and front of your head looks real good. Your donor from the side also looks good to go for the minimum grafts you'll need to achieve your aim of filling in your marked areas. You could as indicated take a few from your beard too. Personally I wouldn't try to remove grafts from an area that looks that good and already has had 2 lots of implantations done on it.

If you've only had the 2 FUTs then surely you will have grafts available for the small FUE touch up you desire. Why don't you post a clear pic of your donor area.

Another option is to trim/style your hair so that it is slightly longer above the humps and falls over them to cover them, just a slight alteration on your current style and will solve your problem for free.

From your pic the top of your head looks good and not overly thick. Your donor from the side looks good to go for the minimum grafts you'll need to achieve your aim. You could as indicated take a few from your beard too. Personally I wouldn't try to remove grafts from an area that looks good and already has had 2 lots of implantations done on it.

If you've only had the 2 FUTs then surely you will have grafts available for the small FUE touch up you desire. Why don't you post a clear pic of your donor area.

Another option is to trim/style your hair so that it is slightly longer above the humps and falls over them to cover them, just a slight alteration on your current style and will solve your problem for free.

That hair style you mention I kinda implement already. I moved my hair in the picture because do not want the area to be disguised.

The little bit of FUE I have I am using to repair a pluggy hairline. Taking too many FUEs from the traditional area will expose even more so my FUT scar. Do you know of any cases where a graft has been redistributed by FUE? Could you perhaps ask Dr Bhatti please? Trust me my donor is rubbish.

I made the mistake of getting the second FUT which I thought would address a pluggy hairline. But most of the hair taken from the second FUT were 2s and 3s and just placed in the centre. I'm surprised my doctor didn't notice the recession in the lateral humps. It's frustrating because I know I have 2000 grafts on my head which I do not need - The first FUT was enough. I need these grafts redistributed.

Hi Sparky,

Sure, I'll get Dr Bhatti to have a look at it, but it'll be difficult without some clear pics. You can email them to me on darlingbudsUK@gmail.com.

Or drop me a PM and I'll give you my personal whatsapp for you to send to.

On another note, it's good that you've realised the risk of using too many grafts at an early age for one specific area, I hope it's not too late for you. I've a feeling that there'll be loads more similar pics popping up to the ones you've just posted in the coming years!

Hi Sparky,

Sure, I'll get Dr Bhatti to have a look at it, but it'll be difficult without some clear pics. You can email them to me on darlingbudsUK@gmail.com.

Or drop me a PM and I'll give you my personal whatsapp for you to send to.

On another note, it's good that you've realised the risk of using too many grafts at an early age for one specific area, I hope it's not too late for you. I've a feeling that there'll be loads more similar pics popping up to the ones you've just posted in the coming years!

Thank you very much. I have PMed you. Im the meantime if anyone could share their two cents I'd appreciate it.

You dont need all of that. Take them from your sides and back via FUE. You have enough for that little area.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You dont need all of that. Take them from your sides and back via FUE. You have enough for that little area.

But you see it's not just that little area. Eventually both sides will go and also the ring around the crown will thin considerably. I do not have enough donor for all of that. In addition I want a more natural appearance by the top being thinned - that way I won't have to use thinning shears and look like I wear a wig.

Are you aware of any cases where an existing transplanted hair has been redistributed please? Would you please ask Dr Konoir if it's theoretically possible? I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by Sparky00

It's possible. Dr. Gable just did a case where he removed the guys whole transplanted hairline and retransplantrd it.

In your case though, I still wouldn't do it, at least at this point.

My concern is that I doubt a good doctor would do that at this point, so be careful not to push the subject and have a hack get a hold of you.

I'm fairly confident that Dr. Konior wouldn't do what you are asking at this point.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It's possible. Dr. Gable just did a case where he removed the guys whole transplanted hairline and retransplantrd it.

In your case though, I still wouldn't do it, at least at this point.

My concern is that I doubt a good doctor would do that at this point, so be careful not to push the subject and have a hack get a hold of you.

I'm fairly confident that Dr. Konior wouldn't do what you are asking at this point.

I agree with you. I will wait longer for the lateral humps to degrade before I jump into surgery. It's comforting to know that what I am suggesting is possible as the hair in the middle is just so damn dense with weak traditional donor.

Did the patient of Dr Gable see regrowth of the retransplanted hairs do you know or was the case recent (less than 12 months)? Would love to follow the case if you could provide a link.

At some point would you ask Dr Konoirs opinion on the survival rate of a retransplanted graft please? I understand that you are saying at this point he wouldn't do it but it would be invaluable to get his opinion nonetheless.

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised there are not more cases which exemplify what I'm talking about. All of the repairs documented I found were plug removal via FUT.

Yes ultimately I want a combination of body hair and grafts taken from the green area to fix the problem. Perhaps a 50/50 blend that way I will have more grafts to address more concerns down the line. I actually want the green area to be thinning anyway because it looks too thick (before anyone says anything sarcastic about a too thick hair transplant let me tel you if it doesn't look right it doesn't look right). I want to have a thinning appearance and look normal instead of the guy who had failed cosmetic surgery.

This really is a mess and causing me psychological discomfort. I have seen that you post a lot on different forums. With your experience do you know of any cases of successfully transplanted grafts via FUE for the second time? Could you perhaps ask the doctors you are affiliated with please?

IMHO it really is going to come down to 3 issues relating to your question. First, success will depend on the skill and experience of the surgeon extracting the grafts that were previously placed. Second, the level of trauma on the grafts themselves. The grafts already go through some level of trauma the first time and having a second extraction may end up to be more damaging and why the overall yield can be much lower than the first time extracted. And thirdly, the physiology of the patient.

And I believe this is why many doctors do not attempt this as they are concerned with a poor overall result.

Some docs favor excising the grafts, not extracting them. They simply have more confidence cutting the grafts out instead of extracting them out.

I have not seen many cases of this in the past but the few I have seen, I would not rate the regrowth yield as successful.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Agreed, the cases I've seen this done on are more about reshaping the hairline the bulk removable of plugs and less about good growth rates.

View Spanker's Website